King Air off runway in Nelson, BC

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

brownsideup
Rank 0
Rank 0

King Air off runway in Nelson, BC

Post by brownsideup »

Heard that a King Air 90/100 went off the runway in Nelson, BC around 11am local. Everybody escaped OK but the right gear collapsed. Anyone know who it was?
---------- ADS -----------

happy_flyer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by happy_flyer »

It was Altaflights...it's sitting here just at the end of rwy 22...will get some photos for ya if I can. Looks like the right main gear collasped....almost got a bit wet I think !

J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by J31 »

Is it a B100 Garrett powered? I don’t think Alta has any Pratt powered King Airs left.

oldncold
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

mountain strip

Post by oldncold »

check the cfs for the pictoral of nelson

you have to fly anything faster than a supercub by strict adhereance
to the speeds. or landing long is the usual result.
also review the performance charts as july temps can exceed 40'C
on the tarmac.

my only ? is did they land a bit long and then realize they would not make an overshoot due remaining lack of runway and force it astop before the waters of the west arm of the kootenay lake got ahold of the bird

I repeat not judging anyone just a question as have flown there many times and it is always bring your 8) "A" game airport 8)

Switchfoot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: mountain strip

Post by Switchfoot »

oldncold wrote:
you have to fly anything faster than a supercub by strict adhereance
to the speeds. it is always bring your 8) "A" game airport 8)
That's true. I have also landed there several times and it's in a location where weather, winds, turbulence and many other factors come into play when flying an airplane. Mountains are nice though!

Glad to hear that everyone is okay. Interesting to find out the 'why' behind the over-run.

Fly safe!

Switchfoot. 8)

happy_flyer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by happy_flyer »

hard to say for sure what happened (and not ethical for sure ) but from the rubber trails left behind it is clear that all three wheels were in contact with the ground all the way to the grass.

happy_flyer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by happy_flyer »

Here's some pics I grabbed - sorry for the quality, that's what you get for having an old camera phone.

It's hard to see on the last pic - but the furthest faint black streak you can see is where the right gear went into the grass, then the nose gear rubber is even fainter, with the left gear in the forefront, faintish but next to the dark black streak.

Turkey
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Turkey »

Glad to see everyone's allright. Could have been worse. Looks like they got the engines feathered before she went in.

J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by J31 »

Good pictures!

From the arm chair it looks like the aircraft departed the right SIDE of the runway with some length to go to the end. The right hand gear appears to be retracted and where it collapsed remains to be determined by the TSB.

chief
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by chief »

NOOOOOO NOT Super "B"!

Out of Control
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Out of Control »

I bet the pucker factor was pretty damn high that last 200 feet.

Say again, your coming in stupid
Airtids
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Airtids »

You ambulance-chasing, cell phone digicam totin' media types get me every time! :D :D :wink: Nice to see you at the airport, regardless of the attraction.

Well, folks, today was a first for me. Seen more than my share of wrecks, and had more than enough of my mates on the wrong end of an accident with far worse results than this incident, but this is the first time I've actually seen a crash right in front of me. For those who have never experienced this before, two words: SLO MO. I couldn't believe how slowly a KA100 (Garrett powered- definitely a B) doing about 100kts looks when it's coming right at you and obviously in distress :shock: :shock: :shock: .

I was in our hangar, door open, working on the floatplane and watching what appeared to be a normal approach. Wind was blowing 10-15kts with about a 30deg crosswind from the right on rwy22. I started thinking 'Have they landed yet? Their nose is up pretty high and they've got some pretty good yaw on.' and then I see the right wing lift up and then down again and realise what's happening. "This guy's crashing!" I shout at my wife as I start loooking around for my 2 year old who's at the hangar with us today. Mrs. Airtids gets our daughter, and I start shouting at our rampie to get to the back of the hangar as it looks like the machine is coming our way. Pretty obvious to me by now that the right main has collapsed, and eventually the machine drifts into the right ditch, yaws away from us and turns 90 degrees from the runway as it comes to a stop beside (but not touching) the fence about 500' short of the end of 22. I shout "Call 911" and sprint across the field to the door of the machine, crank it open and help 4-5 shocked looking pax, and 2 crew evac from the plane. Smoke and dust settles, and the happy part is that everyone is A-OK. Had they landed downwind (as is the habit of a certain BC medevac operation that frequents CZNL- take note boys) the results would not have been so good.

Owner was in the left seat, other pilot (Capt?) was in the right. Regardless of the reason for the gear collapse (verified by yours truly walking the runway to inspect it as I had another few machines out that were due to return shortly afterwards), these guy's did ONE HELL OF A JOB keeping this machine on the runway. I'm pretty sure I even heard the one engines go 'beta' in an attempt to control yaw. WELL DONE LADS!! I know it may not help you feel better, but I've flown Learjets to Cubs, and I say you done well given the hand you were dealt. :smt023 I'll make no guesses as to the cause of the collapse, as that is the job of the TSB, and those flying the aircraft at the time of the accident.

$hitty situation, best possible outcome. Hope you are able to enjoy some of our famous Nelson hospitality. :smt030 :partyman: :smt061

Aviation- the hardest way possible to make an easy living!
"You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace!" Michael Franti- Spearhead
"Trust everyone, but cut the cards". My Grandma.
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Glad to hear they're all okay Tids! Looks like they almost went swimming. From what I can see, it looks like a "good" landing by definition. With a few repairs it may still qualify as a "reasonably good" landing given the circumstances. Only time and money will tell.

Strange the flaps are still down, but maye it was the correct decision? Did you say the gear collapsed before the overrun? Nasty shit man. Once again glad all are okay, after an experience like that I'd probably be chillin with some of the local farmers.

broompusher
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by broompusher »

Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing....

WTF, over
Dust Devil
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Dust Devil »

broompusher wrote:Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing....
Your a dumb shit

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

swede
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by swede »

Just ban albertans from landing in b.c. and this sort of thing wouldnt happen, what a bunch of prune pickers.

Turkey
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Turkey »

Boy that plane has been through a lot of engines since arriving at that company. (!)

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

broompusher wrote:Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing....
Exatly my point.

Hey swede he said the gear collapsed before the plane departed the runway. Let's see a BC pot head such as yourself handle that one and walk away. Wo dude, that was a trip!

McPhoo
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by McPhoo »

Just ban albertans from landing in b.c. and this sort of thing wouldnt happen, what a bunch of prune pickers.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

I had no idea prunes grew out here, never mind plums!

There are moments when everything goes well; don't be frightened, it won't last. - Jules Renard
chief
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by chief »

Did I read you right and you said the owner was in the left seat? I can hear this now from the people I know.

Return to “General Comments”