San Franciso to Las Vegas

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Crash318
Rank 0
Rank 0

San Franciso to Las Vegas

Post by Crash318 »

Hey, I'm not familar with the area at all, what would you guys say is the safest route to Vegas in a C-172?
---------- ADS -----------

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

Uhhh...from?

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
aileron
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by aileron »

From your title, go south along the Fresno valley hang a left at Bakerfield and onward to Vegas (to avoid the big stuff).

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

Recommend that you pick up a few WAC charts depicting the many military zones around Vegas, particularily to the North and West. If you are not planning it IFR ask for VFR flight following and have the backup of ATC watching you before you make a whoopsies like entering a prohibited airspace.

aileron
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by aileron »

As YYC mentioned, don't forget the MOA's and Restricted areas. From Bakersfield you'll want to continue to Palmdale then Barstow/Daggett, should keep you away from places like China Lake :oops: :shock: ...

Best advice is get some maps, talk to somebody who's flown down there (pull aside some old timer at some "xyz flyboy watering hole" - they'll talk their head off but you'll learn some stuff) and if you have the time, fly the most irregular and non-direct route with lots of stops in strange places and you'll have many stories (to bore us all with :P ).

Fatass
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Fatass »

I used the Bakerfield route when I did it 8 years ago. It seemed to make the most sense at the time.

wallypilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by wallypilot »

get the sectionals and look at it for yourself. you'll know. follow freeways and avoid the MOA's and the big rocks. it's really pretty easy picking a route just on those three guidelines. keep in mind that many MOA's are only occasionally active. Call the american FSS guys to check on the status of the MOA's.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

wallypilot wrote:get the sectionals and look at it for yourself. you'll know. follow freeways and avoid the MOA's and the big rocks. it's really pretty easy picking a route just on those three guidelines. keep in mind that many MOA's are only occasionally active. Call the american FSS guys to check on the status of the MOA's.
And don't be surprized is an MOA that wasn't supposed to be active suddenly has 12 F-15's and a tanker practicing air to air refuelling. Don't worry though, the yanks rarely shoot down friendlies. :)

Caly
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Caly »

I've made this flight many times. Actually did it last weekend in a Dutchess. If you go direct it cuts off a lot of time, follow the pass just east of Fresno. You'll have to get up to at least 12,500, that might take some time in a 172, for about 20 minutes to clear the east ridge of the Sierras and there is some rugged terrain in there for a short time. MOA's are not an issue, just pick up flight following. We didn't even lose radar contact last time we went through there. If you do go down south of Bakersfield make sure you request a clearance through Edwards AFB resticted 2515. A lot of times they will give it to you above 5 or 6 thousand and that cuts off some milage. I landed at North Las Vegas this last time but i'm going back to Mccaran next time even with the high fuel and ramp fees cause i like the conveniene. Your passenges will like Mccaran better too.

Return to “General Comments”