freakin' radio rant.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Right Seat Captain
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Right Seat Captain »

istp wrote:I heard a Golf Victor Whiskey Tango today- much like a Sault College plane- Foxtrot Victor Whiskey Tango.
Back when I did my Private Licence in St Jean QC (at a school that no longer exists, Dynamair), one of the Cadets I was learning with put GVWT into a ditch at Bromont. It was in rough shape, and everyone was certain it was written off and done with. Then a couple of years later I heard it flying out of St Hubert, then later saw it at Rockcliffe with the same colours it had when it crashed.
---------- ADS -----------

Shady McSly
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Shady McSly »

:D

Frostbite touched on it earlier, but the other thing that bugs me is when people begin every radio broadcast with "And..."

"And traffic 126.7, this is Cessna Super Shithawk, Charlie - Foxtrot Alpha Romeo Tango....."

This one bugs me too and yet I do it.....

"And centre 'you can check' we're level 8000" - 'you can check'???? do we think the guy has a clipboard and he's going to put a check mark beside our call sign or something?

PS - hey JohnnySmallRocks - 'get a life' is an overused, boring insult...come up with something better or I will be forced to use it on YOU.

:smt016

Fish
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Fish »

No, seriously. Get a life. This thread is ridiculous.

And, incidentally I find President's Choice microwave popcorn to be quite below average.

"Young man, was that your landing or were we just shot down?"
oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

And,ugh, I ugh, like ugh, to, ugh, you know, ugh, use, ugh like, ugh, the, ugh, whole, ugh, regisration,complete with not only the , ugh, official.ugh like, words, ugh, but to ugh, you, know, ugh, like make up, ugh, kinda, ugh like, ugh my own, ugh, cutesy, ugh, little, like, ugh, moniker too eh.
Why say in 10 words what can be streached out to fifty.
I was in CYLW the other day and some clown required 4 calls from Ground Control to get taxi clearance. First call was just the ident. Ground said go ahead and he replied that he wanted to taxi. Ground asked him where he was and he said he was parked. Ground said where are you parked. He said on the ramp and ground said what ramp. Once that was straightened out, ground asked for his destination and he said a cross counrty so ground had to ask him where the cross country was too and he said back home. They finally determined home was YBB.

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
Shady McSly
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Shady McSly »

Hey Fish - why do you keep coming here and reading the responses then?

:roll:

TG
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: freakin' radio rant.

Post by TG »

Shady McSly wrote:This has probably been brought up
Actually....no!

:mrgreen:

Bubbaganoosh
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Bubbaganoosh »

I heard a guy overtop in a lear calling himself - chicka (thats is how it sounded, not sure what the @#^$ he was trying to say) charlie niner foxtrot, this is no b.s., he got really po'd when we started making fun of em.. :lol:, and says " da youalll know who yer talking too??" yankees, what a bunch of dumbass's!

BlueSkies12
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BlueSkies12 »

Haha, yeah. Whenever i hear Yanks on the radio they have no idea what they're doing. Mostly in uncontrolled. It can be pretty painful. I remember having to listen to center try and pass them off to radio for a minute cuz they didn't know what he meant. Then having to endure their conversations back and forth on 26.7.

At least it'll be warm in hell...
buck82
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by buck82 »

Nothin like listen to a yank request clearance through the zone... even though he is still thirty miles out and 1500ft above twrs airspace... jeeez that was a good day. To boot the poor guy in the tower was already having to deal with an overloaded circuit. In the end, Tower had us relay a message out to this wayward yank via other planes for him to switch to the right Freq and shut the @!#%! up! (we could all hear him but he was too far out to hear the tower).

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

Ok Shady, Get a real job...one where you need to use your full callsign....better insult? :wink:

. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

JohnnyHotRocks wrote:Ok Shady, Get a real job...one where you need to use your full callsign....better insult? :wink:
OWN3D! :lol:

cyxe
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by cyxe »

oldtimer wrote:I was in CYLW the other day and some clown required 4 calls from Ground Control to get taxi clearance. First call was just the ident. Ground said go ahead and he replied that he wanted to taxi. Ground asked him where he was and he said he was parked. Ground said where are you parked. He said on the ramp and ground said what ramp. Once that was straightened out, ground asked for his destination and he said a cross counrty so ground had to ask him where the cross country was too and he said back home. They finally determined home was YBB.
hehehe

probably the tower supervisor testing his controllers patience

Why do something now when you can do it later??
bigfssguy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by bigfssguy »

BlueSkies12 wrote:Haha, yeah. Whenever i hear Yanks on the radio they have no idea what they're doing. Mostly in uncontrolled. It can be pretty painful. I remember having to listen to center try and pass them off to radio for a minute cuz they didn't know what he meant. Then having to endure their conversations back and forth on 26.7.
Fun to listen to, a nightmare to try and deal with. Theyknow how to fly and are fairly good in control situations but put them in uncontrolled and things start to rumble. It's okay if there the only ones in the sky but if there is traffic they have trouble
N%**(()_+: Churchill radio request taxi instructions

FSS: This is an advisory service, not a control service, taxi your discretion

N#&_)^$: Roger taxiing now..........(gets into position) roger radio N%&(*(^$# request departure clearance.

FSS: This is an advisory service not a control service, depart at your discretion.

N(&^$$&(): Roger (gets airborne) radio could i get vectors onto course.....

ANd on aand on it goes. I had a fella come in one day when i was working in YTH who flew from YWG to YTH at 6500ft on 123.2 (thats ATF below 3000ft right?) and was surprised that he heard so few calls but there was a ton of planes flying into and out of the airport in YTH! I had to explain to him about 126.7.

Formation flights of 4 aircraft strung out over 15 miles and only the first one asks for an advisory, when the first one is down he calls the formation clear and asks for his flight plan to be closed.....Ughh what about the other 3 aircraft still strung over 10 miles??

The list goes on and on, not all there fault i guess just not knowlegable enough of our airspace. But i still cring everytime i get an estimate or a flight plan that starts with November!

FSS: puting the Service back in Flight Services....
airplane rider
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by airplane rider »

I guess when you regularly begin flying into multiple international destinations, each with their own rule variations and local practices, it makes you a lot more respectful of how difficult the transition is when someone screws up in your locale. Lay off the yanks. You could sound just as unprofessional in their airspace without practice.

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

...exactly...very easy to criticize other pilots for their mistakes...happens alot around here... :roll:
Those who work in glass cockpits shouldn't throw stones...unfortunately that weeds out about 95% of the "pilots" on this forum...

BlueSkies12
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BlueSkies12 »

US airspace is a cinch, it's all controlled.

All they have to do is look at a map and interpret it. Then they won't make it dangerous for everyone around them. You have to prepare for your flights.

At least it'll be warm in hell...
Pygmie
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pygmie »

Shady McSly wrote: "And centre 'you can check' we're level 8000" - 'you can check'???? do we think the guy has a clipboard and he's going to put a check mark beside our call sign or something?
Actually, we put the check mark beside the altitude, not the call sign :wink:

buck82
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by buck82 »

I thought about this for a bit, But..... Hell No!!!

I'm not going to lay off the Yanks; or anybody else for that matter who's out there and obviously has no clue where they are, nor how to report where they are and what they are doing.

It has nothing to do with 'me thinking I'm a perfect pilot.' Get the right map, figure out where you are, what your doing, who you should be talking to, and know the procedures BEFORE you get off the ground. Hoping for the best or pleading ignorance because your from another country, Bullshiting your way through it is a dangerous for everyone.

It really isn't that hard; and when in doubt get it figured out BEFORE you're off the ground.

finished.

Foxtrot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Foxtrot »

Shady,

ATC doesn't have a clip board, they have strips. And whe you call in, they do put a check mark next to your altitude!

Been there, done that!

And unless ATC shortens your call sign, you're supposed to use the 4 letters.

Hotel Tango
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Hotel Tango »

Most of these complaints seem pretty trivial to me. Not huge deals, not making it dangerous for anyone. Some more superior pilots just might get a little annoyed.

What really bothers me is flying around predominately english speaking areas of the country in uncontrolled airspace and hearing a traffic advisory in french. Lets face it, the majority of pilots in some of these areas do not know french and it makes for a possibly dangerous situation. Yes you can use french in this country but it doesn't make it smart.

Return to “General Comments”