sim trainining logable?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

3=47
Rank 2
Rank 2

sim trainining logable?

Post by 3=47 »

If You do your training and a ride on a full motion level C simulator, do you log it as sim time only, or can it also contribute to your total time?
---------- ADS -----------

snowbear
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by snowbear »

I little basic pilot logic would indicate that if the wheels did not leave the ground it might be real hard to call it flight time.

confuzed
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by confuzed »

snowbear wrote:I little basic pilot logic would indicate that if the wheels did not leave the ground it might be real hard to call it flight time.
Actually, when I did my sim training in a level D sim in the states I was told to log it as actual time in the airplane.

You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.
prop2jet
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by prop2jet »

I think it is still considered sim time... Every simulator has a specific identification number issued by TC, FAA or other. I believe (technically speaking) that you are supposed to enter the SIM ID in your log along with your "sim" time.

confuzed
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by confuzed »

prop2jet wrote:I think it is still considered sim time... Every simulator has a specific identification number issued by TC, FAA or other. I believe (technically speaking) that you are supposed to enter the SIM ID in your log along with your "sim" time.
If that's the case then I have a few pages to go back and fix :? Why oh why did I listen to an American *sigh* :(

You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.
Right Seat Captain
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Right Seat Captain »

snowbear wrote:I little basic pilot logic would indicate that if the wheels did not leave the ground it might be real hard to call it flight time.
Actually I believe that a Class D simulator can be logged as flight time. At least that's what the Transport guys say regarding their Citation Sim in Ottawa.

Lost in Saigon
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Lost in Saigon »

that's what the Transport guys say
It's always been my experience that if you ask four different "Transport Guys" the same question, you will get four different answers.

I would suggest the Transport Guys who told you to log SIM time as aircraft time don't really know what they are talking about.

I can't see how ANY Simulator could be logged as actual Aircraft Flight Time.

EDIT....... Except maybe this.............

or this.......

twinpratts
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by twinpratts »

Sure. You can log anything, as long as you don't get caught.
For instance, I routinely log my Avcanada time as second officer time. (I used to put in the First officer column... but upon reflection began to feel guilty. I now reserve that column for Microsoft Flight Simulator, but only if it's 2002 or newer) 8) .

I want to die like my grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers...
snowbear
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by snowbear »

A cut and paste from the Cars:

"air time" - means, with respect to keeping technical records, the time from the moment an aircraft leaves the surface until it comes into contact with the surface at the next point of landing; (temps dans les airs)

All the CAR's refering to log book entries, training, license upgrades, etc, reference either "Air Time" or "Flight Time", both of which are defined in CAR 101. Simulator time may be used (encouraged and often mandatory) for a host of training requirements in lieu of real flying time. Those cases are specifically identified within each Operator's training program where a simulator may be substituted for a real airplane.

Take a look at any log book. To find your total flying time an individual adds up columns 1 thru 10 which are single and multi engine day, night, PIC, Co-pilot, etc. The very last column in most books, which is often "blued out" and not counted towards total flying time, is the simulator record.

For the gentleman (or Lady) who said TC uses their CLass D C550 sim in YOW to log time. I think the full facts may have been omitted by the Inspector. Yes Class C and D sims can be used in lieu of flight training and they fully count towards an operators training program but the applicant can not count time spent in the sim as either flight time nor air time it is just training time and does not count towards total flight time.

abc xyz
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by abc xyz »

confuzed wrote:
Actually, when I did my sim training in a level D sim in the states I was told to log it as actual time in the airplane.

Sweet I now have 150 hrs A320 time. Who do I call to get my licence endorsed for a type rating :lol: See AC you can now hire me and skip the whole PPC issue :shock: Im sure Robert Milton will like saving a few bucks

Just an average man doing heroes work
TG
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by TG »

Lost in Saigon wrote:

....... Except maybe this.............

http://www.calspan.com/airborne.htm
This one is operating out of Niagara Falls as an "inflight simulator"
Pretty interresting machine. It got so much extra junks inside that they have fuel for an hour & an half only.
They can set up whatever second cockpit below to simulate all kind of aircrafts or space projects.
http://www.avcanada.ca/albums/displayim ... m=18&pos=1
They were doing some set up with it last year for Boeing.

Sorry, back to the topic now.

Mike Oxlong
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mike Oxlong »

If You do your training and a ride on a full motion level C simulator, do you log it as sim time only, or can it also contribute to your total time?
does 20 hours really matter? who really cares. its 20 hours total time.

cedar tree
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by cedar tree »

Does anyboy know if there is any TPC regulation regarding required "stamps" and/or "signatures" for a verification of a pilot log book entry? I understand this is common practice, but is there a law?

Intellivision made me a pilot.
ditshisturber
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ditshisturber »

cedar tree wrote:Does anyboy know if there is any TPC regulation regarding required "stamps" and/or "signatures" for a verification of a pilot log book entry? I understand this is common practice, but is there a law?
Sorry, it's late... if you mean TPC as Transport Canada... I ran into this question and was advised by an inspector. Although it's "common practice", there was no actual requirement for it.

nimbostratus
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nimbostratus »

Back when I got my ATP I was told by Transport that all my logbook entries had to be "certified" by a second party. Since then I believe things have changed. I went to my Chief Pilot and asked him to certify a logbook that I had filled up and he told me he couldn't as per a legal directive from the companies legal department.
Apparently the lawyer was concerned about the company taking responsibility for the accuracy of the times I had entered in my book.

My new logbook has a line at the bottom of the page that I sign and date myself as a "gaurantee" that all times entered are correct.

As far as I know, certification by second parties is no longer "required". But you as a pilot have to sign something saying that all of your entries are correct "to the best of your knowledge".

Nimbo

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes!

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.
Give him a mask and he will tell the truth." -- Oscar Wilde
Lommer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Lommer »

What if you regularly fly machines owned by two different parties? I.e. a work aircraft and a rental aircraft? or rental aircraft for two different schools? Who should certify then?

Aeros
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Aeros »

Lommer wrote:What if you regularly fly machines owned by two different parties? I.e. a work aircraft and a rental aircraft? or rental aircraft for two different schools? Who should certify then?
In that case you would get two certifications, one from each party. I don't think that you would be able to cinvince most folks to certify times on aircraft over which they have no control.

Again, there is NO requirement to get times certified. Even though many logbooks now have that "Entries on this page are correct" line for you to sign (as nimbostratus mentioned) you are NOT required to sign that line. Just because it is in the book does not mean that you need to sign it.

TC cannot require you to have your times certified. They also don't have the authority to ask you to prove that they are correct. Your logbook is a legal document that can be used to prove experience (as spelled out in the CARs). If TC doesn't think that your entries are correct they are essentially accusing you of committing fraud. If they wish to discount your time they must prove that they are in error, you don't need to prove that they arte correct.

Return to “General Comments”