headset problems

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

rotateandfly
Rank 5
Rank 5

headset problems

Post by rotateandfly »

Hi everyone!

I bought a used Avcomm AC-900 headset on ebay and got a chance to try it yesterday. the microphone was good and the right side ear cup worked perfectly, however i couldnt hear anything on the left. A guy said it's stuck in Mono mode or something but theres no switch to choose between mono and stereo, does anyone know how i could fix this problem? If not, how much would it cost to have it repaired and who repairs headsets??

Thanks!
Dave
---------- ADS -----------

Justwannafly
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Justwannafly »

who cares?....most planes only have mono anyways....If this is your first headset chances are your flying a training aircraft...& unless its a dimond your plane will be mono

ditshisturber
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ditshisturber »

Justwannafly wrote:who cares?....most planes only have mono anyways....If this is your first headset chances are your flying a training aircraft...& unless its a dimond your plane will be mono
Still, mono or not, BOTH earcups should be functionning normally and you should hear everything through both speakers. Have you tried flying with a headset that only allows you to hear out of one side? It sucks pretty bad. Remember, the problems is not Stereo Vs. Mono... It's one speaker Vs. both working.

Have it looked at, if this is the case, or send it back for a refund. Ebay should be good about this, unless the product was bought as/is.

fougapilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by fougapilot »

My plane is mono, but it doesn't prevent me from hearing from both ears. Mono only means you will hear the same thing in both ears, which is fine unless you are running your Ipod through the headset.

If you can only hear from one ear, I think something is wrong with your headset.

D

rotateandfly
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by rotateandfly »

where do i have it looked at??

Chop&Drop
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Chop&Drop »

I had the same problem with my AC-900. Allz ya gotta do is fiddle around with the green knobs at the top of the earpiece (I think its the one on the oppsite side of the mic) and turn it till it clicks, then you'll hear from both sides and you can addjust the volume from the other knob.

Or do what I'm doing and buy a DC X11!

pika
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pika »

Try a little steel wool on the plugs first. Failing that take it in for repair. I guess it sort of depends where you are if you want advice on where to take it...

GSPY
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by GSPY »

I have the same headset and I second what chop&drop said. It's one of the knobs on the side of the headset. One is for volume and the other will turn and nothing will happen until it clicks the you should have two working speakers.

rotateandfly
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by rotateandfly »

ok i dont think i noticed the knob on the left ear drome clicks. I guess I'll have to try again!
Thank you so much for your advice!

Justwannafly
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Justwannafly »

oh sorry I miss'd the part with the one side not working...I thought it was working fine...just not leaving mono...It could be stuck in stereo accualy....I know with mine if I turn it to stereo on some planes that don't support it, I can only hear out of one ear.

Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by 767 »

check the adapter. how many lines does it show? if it's 1, then it has to be plugged in a stereo mode socket (in the plane). and if it has 2, then it should work with both mono and stereo sockets. hope this helps.

rotateandfly
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by rotateandfly »

i got another idea how to test my headset since i wont see an airplane for the next two weeks. Using on of those old tv headset adapters i could connect it to my tv and see if it works, right boys?

Right Seat Captain
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Right Seat Captain »

The flight school I worked at used the AVCOMM 900s, and we had the no sound in one ear problem ALL-THE-TIME. There is a knob on each ear cup for individual volume of each ear when in Stereo mode, which is what you probably are in. It has to be switched to mono.

To switch it, turn the knob on the cub with the mic attached until it clicks at one end of the rotation. That's the switch, and the other knob controls the volume for both cups now.

However, on occasion, the 'click' in the knob breaks, so you just have to try it on both ends of the rotation until it gets to the mono section.

I hope that helps! I've talked many many people through these steps many many times!

Golden Flyer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: headset problems

Post by Golden Flyer »

rotateandfly wrote:Hi everyone!

I bought a used Avcomm AC-900 headset on ebay and got a chance to try it yesterday. the microphone was good and the right side ear cup worked perfectly, however i couldnt hear anything on the left. A guy said it's stuck in Mono mode or something but theres no switch to choose between mono and stereo, does anyone know how i could fix this problem? If not, how much would it cost to have it repaired and who repairs headsets??

Thanks!
Dave

Those AVCOMM suck! They're complete trash. I used them back in the days and had the same problems with almost all of them. I was doing flight training and couldnt hear out of an ear. Other times we went up and couldnt communicate with each other. Stick to the David Clarks.... H10-13.4 is excellent, as well as the H10-13.4 X

rotateandfly
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by rotateandfly »

it works fine now that i tried it using my mp3 player attached to it.
thanks for the advice it did kind of bother me since i thought i got ripped off.

Return to “General Comments”