You think 9/11 was bad for our industry...

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

greenwich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by greenwich »

You may not believe it, but we just dodged the biggest bullet yet!

Our industry was almost decimated after 9/11. Or now that the industry's back on it's feet have you all forgotten just how bad 2002, 2003, and 2004 were for us?

Had this British terrorist plot actually happened as planned it would have been WORSE that 9/11! Way worse!

10 British and American airliners blown-up half way across the Atlantic with thousands of innocent people killed...our industry would have collapsed...again!

All you newbies at Jazz, AC, WJ, etc. would be calling your old Chief Pilots asking if you could have your old jobs back. And all of you Greenhorns who just moved off the ramp into a seat...well, you know where I'm going!

I'm not a pessimist; I'm just stunned that there is only ONE post on AvCanada regarding this terrorist plot!

You guys don't know how close we just came to disaster!

G
---------- ADS -----------

"Slow and steady wins the race"
flynbutcher
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by flynbutcher »

I think its going to be like this for years to come, unfortunatly. You have to commend the authorities on breaking this one up. Not only saving 1000's of lives, you can probably add saved 1000's of jobs here in canada as well. Just another example of how volatile this industry can be and we should all be thankful that we still have a job today. I doubt there are any of the police forces or FBI reading AvCanada tonight or any other night, but just in case there are, Keep up the Good work. Cheers

talkinghead
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by talkinghead »

I am not to sure we have "dodged the biggest bullet".
I hope we have but it could get scary. :?

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

greenwich wrote:
You are quite right. I dont. Do tell. How close did we come?

flynbutcher
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by flynbutcher »

read cnn website! whats with the attitude?

MRO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: You think 9/11 was bad for our industry...

Post by MRO »

greenwich wrote:
Had this British terrorist plot actually happened as planned it would have been WORSE that 9/11! Way worse!
G
I hate to tell you those were my thoughts exactly

The bad news is time flies. The good news is you’re a pilot.
185/310
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 185/310 »

Even though this attack was stopped, did it still damage our industry? Our industry was on the up swing, should I worry about going to a new job or just take the chance and deal with it and accept this is normal now.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

First, I have read CNN. Read it again since your suggestion.

As to attitude, Greenwich made the statement that we did not know how close we came to disatster.CNN, and other news outlets allude to what was happening. Perhaps Greewich knows something, and if so, I would be interested in reading it. I was not aware that wanting more information from a source making such a statement would constitute an attitude.
One of the problems with the internet I guess.

flynbutcher
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by flynbutcher »

sounded like an attempt at sarcasm to me, not that that evers goes on on AcCanada. :lol:

Highflyinpilot
Rank 8
Rank 8
Location: Holy Hell, is that what you look like in the morning

Post by Highflyinpilot »

After my commercial i took a break to try and save some money to pay for my other ratings withut going into debt from it, that was about 1 year ago. within that year i became a welder. about two weeks ago i was thinking of getting back into the aviation industry full throttle but with an event such as this it kind of makes me wonder.

maybe ill just stick to flying for pleasure(although thats not written in stone lol)

snaproll20
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by snaproll20 »

After due process of law, the people arrested for this affront against humanity should be put in a concrete bunker with a stick of dynamite with a lit fuse to pass around. A little like "pass the parcel". They should also be given the five, or is it seven pairs of underpants to ensure their genitalia are kept intact for all the virgins they are going to get in Paradise.

This is NOT a punishment, it is what they want.

And, why don't Osama Bin Laden and his senior lieutenants set a good example by blowing themselves up?

Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ... »

Aside from this affecting the professionals in the industry, think about the economic devastation to the commercial industry that has been built up around this industry.

Duty Free shops-booze perfume etc...NOt allowed to be purchased.

The list can go on and on and trickle down to the little guy that owns a shop in the airport or a small supplyer.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

But think of all the perfume, toothpaste, shampoo etc that would have to be purchased after passengers land at their destination. I've noticed theres a new shoppers drugmart being built everywhere lately. They could cash in bigtime. As for the duty free.........thats a shame, back to buying the low grade US booze on the overnights......

Justwannafly
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Justwannafly »

greenwich wrote:You may not believe it, but we just dodged the biggest bullet yet!

Our industry was almost decimated after 9/11. Or now that the industry's back on it's feet have you all forgotten just how bad 2002, 2003, and 2004 were for us?

10 British and American airliners blown-up half way across the Atlantic with thousands of innocent people killed...our industry would have collapsed...again!

All you newbies at Jazz, AC, WJ, etc. would be calling your old Chief Pilots asking if you could have your old jobs back. And all of you Greenhorns who just moved off the ramp into a seat...well, you know where I'm going!

I'm not a pessimist; I'm just stunned that there is only ONE post on AvCanada regarding this terrorist plot!

G
Yea I know....It has still affect'd Canadian aviation in the stockmarket anyways. What even suprised me more then just the one topic was all the people responding who figgured that this was a Gov run Hoax

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

greenwich wrote:You may not believe it, but we just dodged the biggest bullet yet!
You think a bullet was dodged ? Lets see, check in now is an hour and a half before the flight. Oh, cant take much of anything in hand bags anymore, so, now you MUST wait that extra half hour for luggage at the other end. Oh, and listen to the tv, most flights are delayed an hour or more because of this mess. So, that's 3 hours wasted, without even going for an airplane ride. Kelowna is a 3.5 hour drive, and it's a 30 minute flight, but, its gonna be faster to drive. Where's the advantage to flying now ?

The real lesson in all this, all of a sudden we cant take a shaving kit on as hand bags. Guess we know how much confidence the government has in all those screeners at the airport now. Gee, where has the billions of dollars invested in 'security' actually gone? This whole escapade is an admission by the feds, the screening system doesn't work, or, there would be no widespread panic.

Folks have been wondering aloud here for a while, when is the bubble gonna burst on this latest round of pilot hiring. The bells are ringing folks, better prepare to batton down the hatches. The governments have made it clear, they want to promote a worldwide panic around aviation again. It's working, just spout off the T word a few times, and you have folks shuddering in fear the world over, and an industry in a panic. Every time the news announcers spew forth 'plot to blow up a passenger jet in midair' there's one more tourist thinking 'oh, I think we will drive this year', and that spew has been on every tv channel and radio station non stop all day, and it's not going to stop for a while.

No bullet has been dodged. The aviation industry is going to take it good from this one, and, all over some hyped up crap because a government department needed some headlines to justify a budget. There is nothing new or exciting about this event, other than it's been made into a press feeding frenzy.

Wage rollbacks, bankruptcies, and now this kind of crap. I'm sure glad I dont depend on aviation to make a living. it's a nice hobby, but, frankly I dont see how you folks can live on the wages it pays, and, now theres another excuse for more cutbacks, more 'cost cutting', and the hiring boom is gonna head into the season of layoffs real soon if the press keeps this story alive a few more days.

Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ... »

great post goldeneagle :smt023

Jeremy Kent
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jeremy Kent »

That's a little doom n' gloom. Nobody died so it's not as juicy a story for CNN as it could be and will eventually go away. From what I hear, security lines were approaching tolerable again by this evening. It's going to be a pain in the ass, true, but this is not going to knock the industry on its ass as did 9/11, IMHO.

And you know, I agree with snaproll. I'm starting to wonder about tolerance and due process and political correctness and daisies and rainbows and lollipops. If western society has the bigger stick, perhaps it's time to starting actually using it against those who threaten our way of life. That's my ignorant, thick-headed statement for the day... but I can't think of much that I'd cash in my life for... and NOTHING that'd make me take a bunch of strangers with me. If that makes me a godless infidel, then sign me up!!

Lommer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Lommer »

With a bit of luck (okay a lot) maybe everyone will buy private airplanes and hire even more pilots to fly them around. Lots more work for pilots if people buy a temp-share in a King Air to go somewhere rather than cramming themselves into a 777 with 300 others. More work for AME's too. Come on a guy can dream right?

P.S. We are gonna have to do something FAST about radios, transponders, and mandatory TCAS if this is gonna happen though..

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

Lommer wrote: P.S. We are gonna have to do something FAST about radios, transponders, and mandatory TCAS if this is gonna happen though..
Take a quick peek over at the state of the art in the marine industry, a system called AIS. GPS + a cheap vhf radio, no need for an extensive and expensive ground infrastructure, does a much better job than tcas or any equivalent. I seriously doubt that we'll see such an elegant solution in aviation tho, there's way to many in positions of power that have far to much investment in an old radar based system. Why use cheap airborne equipment with no ground infrastructure, when you can saddle the industry with the cost of maintaining a billion dollar radar infrastructure that requires a huge workforce on the ground to maintain and operate? Putting cheap electronics in airplanes so they can figure out how to miss each other all by themselves, without a huge controller workforce on the ground, that's heresy. Funny enough, the marine industry is already doing it.

godsrcrazy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by godsrcrazy »

This might be quicker then we think. Just got of the phone with a freind that just got his training cancelled next week I will not say by whom but one of the major feeders. He was told the situation is being evaluated. No commitment when they will call back.

He just left his bush job for this. You can bet his last company wont talk to him leaving mid season.

Not great news with a wife and newborn.

Good luck all.

Return to “General Comments”