6 killed in crash today

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Rank 7
Rank 7

6 killed in crash today

Post by 180 »

Terrible news.... :cry:

I just heard on the CBC that North wright lost a plane today. Report said they flew into the side of a mountain in bad weather. All 6 souls were killed.

"There but for the grace of God Go I."
---------- ADS -----------

Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by 180 »

Wednesday, Aug 16, 2006

Six people killed in plane crash between Norman Wells and Fort Good Hope

NORMAN WELLS, N.W.T. (CP) - Six people have been killed in a plane crash in the Northwest Territories.
RCMP say the commercial craft left Fort Good Hope on Wednesday afternoon with five passengers and a pilot, and was due to arrive in Norman Wells about 1:15 p.m. It was reported overdue at 2:50 p.m. and an ELT signal was picked up which identified an area for the missing aircraft between the two communities.

An RCMP member found the crash site in a remote, mountainous area a few hours later and reported there were no survivors.

The Transportation Safety Board was investigating.

RCMP said they would be assisting.

Sulako
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Sulako »

That's awful. Godspeed to the crew and passengers :(

jet a1
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jet a1 »

my thoughts are with the families and all the northwright guys out there.
jet.

Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ... »

Name...anyone with name of the pilot please PM me ASAP!!!!!!

50'minimums
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 50'minimums »

Our thoughts are with you guys in the wells tonight.

HavaJava
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HavaJava »

Deepest condolences to family and friends...a very sad day.

Howitzer
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Howitzer »

A Friend just phoned me and told me what happend, my condolences to the families of all. I'd like to offer my condolences to the other pilots at NWA too, when i worked there i found that it was a tight group of people. As good as any family, i can only imagine the mood in the camp tonight. Stay up late tonight boys, remember your friend, your brother. Share the good stories of him in the TV room, of pranks pulled and laughter shared. Don't remeber his death, remeber his life.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

It's a sad day in the Sahtu. EDITTED Really sorry to hear about this tragedy folks. CJ

Go Guns
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Go Guns »

Condolences to friends, family and everyone at NWA. :(

Fatass
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Fatass »

I'm sorry to hear of this loss today.

VSF
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by VSF »

oh man.. that sucks. my condolences to the families.
anyone have an idea what a/c type it was? i have a buddy working for northwright....
k

CD
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by CD »

6 killed in northern plane crash

NORMAN WELLS, N.W.T. (CP) - Six people flying out to attend a funeral were found dead Wednesday in the wreckage of a small commercial plane that crashed in a remote, mountainous area of the Northwest Territories.

"There had been a drowning . . . and these people had attended the funeral of the drowning victim," said RCMP Sgt. Larry O'Brien.

"We can't confirm identities yet, our members are still working on that."

However, a relative of some of the victims, who didn't want her name used, identified them as Judith Pierrot, a young child; Farrah Grandjame, a teenager; and adults Gary Grandjambe, Kenny Stewart and Alfred Mazazumi.

The pilot also died.

"There's people gathered everywhere, the families and stuff," said the woman from Norman Wells, who would only say one of the victims was a cousin and another was a nephew.

"We've been talking to people in Fort Good Hope and they're just totally in shock. The whole region (is related)."

She said so far there is no indication what caused the crash.

"Nothing yet. I don't think the bodies have even been brought in yet, at this point."

However, she said many people she knew were already flying out to Fort Good Hope to lend support to their relatives there.

"That's the only way, because there's no roads up here to drive in. So they'd either have to go by boat or plane."

A man who answered the phone at the Fort Good Hope Co-op said he also knew all the victims, but couldn't talk because he was busy taking food to the homes of the relatives.

News of the deaths spread quickly in the tight-knit community. On Farrah Grandjambe's webpage on the blogging site http://www.bebo.com, condolences were already being posted for the 17-year-old.

"I shed a tear but I know that won't bring you back," wrote Tara H. "I still can't believe it, I miss you too much . . . Why God had to take you, I don't know."

The site gave a poignant glimpse into the life of the girl.

"Well as for me, I am a little native from the North that use to live in a very small community but moved away for my last years in high school," she wrote.

"I currently live in a big house with a whole load of natives, and it gets pretty crazy in there, if you know what I mean."

RCMP said the North-Wright Airways plane left Fort Good Hope with five passengers and a pilot, and was due to arrive in Norman Wells about 1:15 p.m.

But when it didn't arrive by 2:50 p.m., a search and rescue effort was mounted by RCMP along with civilian personnel.

"When the plane was reported missing, several planes were sent up from Norman Wells - commercial planes - to search for it," said O'Brien.

"In addition, a helicopter left Norman Wells with one of the local RCMP members on board, and it was these planes that were able to find the crash."

An ELT - or emergency locator transmitter - signal was picked up which pointed to a specific area where the plane had gone down somewhere between the two communities.

"It's a beacon that goes off in the airplane automatically during an accident," explained John Lee, western regional manager of the Transportation Safety Board.

When the crash site was found, there were no survivors.

"Our investigators will be deploying tomorrow morning," said Lee. "We conduct parallel investigations at the beginning of all aircraft accidents, and when the RCMP determine there is no criminal involvement, they typically say . . . that they would hand it over to us."

O'Brien said dealing with the crash was putting a strain on the resources of the small detachments involved.

"What we've done to help the members in Fort Good Hope and Norman Wells, we've sent members out of Yellowknife," he said.

"Several members have flown up to assist the detachment both in terms of dealing with the crash and dealing with policing in those communities."

Fort Good Hope is a community of about 600 people 800 kilometres Northwest of Yellowknife.

It was the site of another fatal plane crash that killed four people on New Year's Eve 2001.

Pilot error was eventually determined to be the cause of the crash of a Cessna 172 owned by Ursus Aviation. The plane hit a snow-covered mountainside.

Three people survived the impact but died from exposure before rescuers found them.

Miss Mae
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Miss Mae »

Very terrible news....prayers to the families and friends involved.

No Conflict
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by No Conflict »

God Speed, and my thoughts are with the families..

Does anyone know the name of the pilot?? I know a few guys up there... If you do, PLEASE PM ME!!

NC

Mclovin
Rank 5
Rank 5

nwa

Post by Mclovin »

can someone please PM me if they know the pilot asap

following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been.
airwrench
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by airwrench »

Use to work there, anyone know what a/c, and if possible pm pilot. Condolences to all friends and family.

AW

niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

Godspeed to our brothers and sisters of flight.
High Flight
Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds - and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air.
Up, up the long delirious, burning blue,
I've topped the windswept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or even eagle flew -
And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
The high untresspassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand and touched the face of God.
The Airmans Prayer

If I climb up into heaven, thou art there

If I go down to hell, thou art there also

If I take the wings of the morning

And remain in the uttermost parts of the sea

Even there also shall thy hand lead me

And thy right hand shall hold me
Tefilat Haderech: The Traveler's Prayer

May it be Your will, Eternal One, our God and the God of our ancestors, that You lead us toward peace, emplace our footsteps towards peace, guide us toward peace, and make us reach our desired destination for life, gladness, and peace. May You rescue us from the hand of every foe, ambush, bandits and wild animals along the way, and from all manner of punishments that assemble to come to Earth. May You send blessing in our every handiwork, and grant us peace, kindness, and mercy in your eyes and in the eyes of all who see us. May You hear the sound of our supplication, because You are the God who hears prayer and supplications. Blessed are You, Eternal One, who hears prayer.
Ye-hi ra-tson mi-l'fa-ne-cha
A-do-nai e-lo-hei-nu vei-lo-hei a-vo-tei-nu
she-to-li-chei-nu l'sha-lom
v'ta-tsi-dei-nu l'sha-lom
v'tad-ri-chei-nu l'sha-lom,
v'ta-gi-ei-nu lim-choz chef-tsei-nu
l'cha-yim ul-sim-chah ul-sha-lom.
V'ta-tsi-lei-nu mi-kaf kawl o-yeiv
v'o-reiv v'lis-tim v'cha-yot ra-ot ba-de-rech,
u-mi-kawl mi-nei fur -a-ni-yot
ha-mit-ra-g'shot la-vo la-o-lam.
V'tish-lach b'ra-chah b'chawl b'- ma-a-sei ya-dei-nu
v'ti-t'nei-nu l'chein ul-che-sed ul-ra-cha-mim b'ei-ne-cha
uv-ei-nei chawl ro-ei-nu.
V'tish-ma kol ta-cha-nu-nei-nu
ki Eil sho-mei-a t'fi-lah v'ta-cha-nun a-tah.
Ba-ruch a-tah A-do-nai
sho-mei-a t'fi-lah.

She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!
Lockwoodian
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Lockwoodian »

Looks like it was FWHP.
I too am very anxious to hear who the skipper was.
Thoughts and prayers - I know that is a tight group.

Lw

FLOATER
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by FLOATER »

thoughts and prayers to all

I'd rather be judged by 12,than carried by six

Return to “General Comments”