Log Book edit

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

172pilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Log Book edit

Post by 172pilot »

I have a page in my log book that I'd like to redo. I made one too many mistakes on it and as a result very messy... so what are the rules if I want to rip it out... or void it out and re-enter the data?

Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

Odysseus
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Odysseus »

My PTR and logbook are a mess as well, and I gotta send it to transport to get my licence next week. I hope they dont throw it in the trash along with my licence lol.

CANAIR
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CANAIR »

Defintly wouldnt suggest ripping out a page of you logbook. as you are not allowed to do that .. you can just line out the page and carry forward to another page or you could just rewrite the whole logbook. into a new one. another thing people dont realize is that if you make an error adding the time you can just make the adjustment further in the logbook as such...

ddmmyy "error in times corrected to" blah blah blah and fill inthe total boxes with the new times. you do not need to change ever time on all the pages

hope this helps

ps you cant completly black out any entry. just a line

Nappy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Nappy »

I'd have to agree with canair, and i'd add your initials for corrected entries, not sure if it is actually required though...

Lost in Saigon
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Lost in Saigon »

Who say's you can't you just rip it out? How would that make any difference?

There is a requirement to keep a pilot's logbook, but I don't remember seeing anything that tells you what it should look like,
or how it is put together or maintained.

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

Do not rip out a page or black out or whiteout entrys unless you are at a point in your career that you don't give a tinkers damn and are not seeking any higher licence or ratings. A line drawn through to show it is either deleted or changed and the new entries. A whole page if necessary. As someone said, if you make an error in times, simply make a statement that there is an error and record the correct times.

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
mclb
Rank 0
Rank 0

Throw it out

Post by mclb »

If you are scared to send them to TC in a not good state, you might want to check out. http://www.Mycanadianlogbook.com for your Logbook and http://www.onlineptr.com for your PTR. Both meet the Car's requirements.

Odysseus wrote:My PTR and logbook are a mess as well, and I gotta send it to transport to get my licence next week. I hope they dont throw it in the trash along with my licence lol.

Snowgoose
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Snowgoose »

This brings back memories.

As for the PTR, just fill out a new one. How many entries are we talking about? My commercial PTR turned into a mess due to my dumb ass not typing numbers into a calculator right and adding up 4 pages all at once. I tried to rescue it, but on the advice of my instructor re-wrote a new PTR. It wasn't bad only an afternoon or so.

Much better than the stack of AIP amendments I had to enter to study for the INRAT. After the first one I just bought a new AIP. Glad I don't have to worry about that nonsense anymore.

As for the logbook. I applied for the A license a while back. I keep an Excel spreadsheet of my log entries and noticed a small discrepancy. I was out a couple hours from a few years ago. I called Transport, spoke to an inspector and told him my problem. He said no problem to put a time correction line in my logbook, sign it and date it. My advice would not make a habit of it.

Take the time and make a logbook in Excel. It’s really quite easy and it's free. Mine’s set up so that when I have a write out a log page, it sub-totals everything up, give me the previous and new totals.

Also start now if you are going to make a digital logbook. I’d sure hate to have to enter all Cat Driver’s entries into a computer line by line.

It's better to break ground and head into the wind than to break wind and head into the ground.
Invertago
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Log books...

Post by Invertago »

Try this site http://www.pilotpal.com/main.jsp Its what I use for my log book and so far Im pretty pleased. You can print copies from it, or save copies via excel to your computer or in .pdf files. The log book is all online so do print off copies regularly or save copies. Personally I'm paranoid of the site going down and me loosing my entries so I save every month or so incase something went wrong.

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
Justwannafly
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Throw it out

Post by Justwannafly »

mclb wrote:If you are scared to send them to TC in a not good state, you might want to check out. http://www.Mycanadianlogbook.com for your Logbook and http://www.onlineptr.com for your PTR. Both meet the Car's requirements.

Odysseus wrote:My PTR and logbook are a mess as well, and I gotta send it to transport to get my licence next week. I hope they dont throw it in the trash along with my licence lol.
http://www.Mycanadianlogbook.com looks realy good....but I think I'll just stick to my Log book....I'm paranoid that it will get stolen or that the house will burn down & Its destroy'd ect......BUT I think I'd be even more scared if it was online...grr

200hr Wonder
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by 200hr Wonder »

My paper log book is just for my reference, I do try and keep it as neat as possible... I am anal I only use Bic Black Medium Ball Point Pens... however with that said pick up one of the many electronic log books and use it. I use Log Book Pro but there are many out there. When it is time to apply for my A licenses I will go down to Staples or wherever and have em print the whole thing for $5.00 along with a nice auto generated summary sheet that shows that I meet all the requirements.

Well worth the investment in time. Just remember to back it up. For me I have my working copy on my hard drive, a back up on my USB key and CD that goes into a safe deposit box once per year when I get my medical done. Just as an easy way to remember when to make a new backup. Do be aware that CDs have a limited shelf life.

Return to “General Comments”