Laser Eye Surgery

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Is my wife lying when she says size doesn't matter?

Yes, all women want 'em huge!
42%
No, it's how you use it
33%
No, a Navajo is plenty big
24%

Total votes: 33

captain_parsons
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by captain_parsons »

Hey HoCapt:

I found this link on TC for Lasik and PRK eye surgery, outlining the requirements for post surgery. I hope it's helpful. As for CAME's giving bogus advice, the last time I saw mine, I asked him at what point I need to worry about getting my medical yanked due to a high prescription for the peepers (it's now at -3.0). He told me that I shouldn't ever have to worry about that (though, he didn't give me a solid number). Honestly, is there a book for CAME's to study, or are they pretty much winging it?
---------- ADS -----------

"Negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full"
captain_parsons
Rank 1
Rank 1

Right Seat Captain
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Right Seat Captain »

I'm not 100% sure, but we have a doctor who is a student who became CAME, and when he started flying, he also started studying to become a CAME. The studying was extensive, and I believe there's an interview at the regional HQ (Toronto for ON), but I'm not sure.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

RSC: Not sure where the reference is. I got my cat I prior to them coming into effect, so perhaps the loophole has been closed?

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Beacon Final
Rank 5
Rank 5

best place

Post by Beacon Final »

I have been looking into this too. Thinking I would do it after the float season when there is no work or if I broke a leg or whatever.

I am aware of the CAT 1 stuff and CAME stuff (i think?) but my question to you is:

Which company is the best in Canada for this? TLC etc....??

And will larger companies ie: Westjet, Air Canada cover this in there medical plans???

Thanks J

PS: I am sick of fu*kin contacts and red eyes..... i dont need contact for that b/c the booze does that alone. :lol: Maybe I should look into AA first!

:roll:

duplicate2
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by duplicate2 »

I've been told by a RAMO that the requirement for uncorrected vision is not being enforced, as long as you meet the overall requirement of 20/30. There must be some truth to this as my vision is -6.0 each eye and I have a Cat 1.

The same RAMO said TC has been planning on removing the requirement for some time. The FAA does not have an uncorrected vision requirement:
link here

Last edited by duplicate2 on Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snagmaster E
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Snagmaster E »

http://www.tc.gc.ca/aviation/REGSERV/CA ... 42402e.htm

I don't know if anybody has posted this link, but here are the req's for cat 1 to 4 medicals. It seems like a lot of numbers are floating around.

Hope this helps.

Money, wish I had it...
Right Seat Captain
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Thanks snag, it got posted earlier.

I agree that they must not be enforcing it. But it concerns me that if its still in the regs, and I get into some accident, that hopefully wouldn't be my fault, I wouldn't want to be charged for having bad eyesight, if they were looking for something to charge me with.

chipmunk
Rank 8
Rank 8

eyes

Post by chipmunk »

I have panicked with this issue many times - I have a Cat 1 that I have kept up for 2 1/2 years so far and am -4.25 in both eyes - and have consoled myself in the good ol' CARs:

From CARs 424.17(4) Physical and Mental Requirements: Visual Requirements (the neat table-like thing that takes up a good 10 pages) 1.35(3) "An applicant accepted as meeting the provisions of Para 1.35(b) [which basically says your uncorrected vision must be at worst +/-3 diopters por 20/200] is deemed to continue to do so unless there is reason to suspect otherwise". The reasons they go on to describe include a significant decrease in visual acuity, eye injury/disease, other nasty stuff.

As I see it, as long as you get the initial Cat 1 you're pretty much set. 8)

Right Seat Captain
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Thanks for that chipmunk. I see you're from Ottawa...you wouldn't happen to fly the chipmunk at the museum would you? If so I work right across the runway from you...

captain_parsons
Rank 1
Rank 1

Well, if that's what the CAR's say, does that mean I shouldn't be bringing a copy of my prescription in with me when I visit the CAME? I mean, if they're just going to trust that my vision is still acceptable, I probably should just leave it at that.....I think we need a POLL on what is everyone's prescription......mine is -3.0 in both eyes....and getting worse.

Aeros
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Aeros »

I have spoken with several doctors at Transport. They have all told me that the rules are being changed to drop the restriction on the strength of the perscription.

The current restrictions reflect some concerns from many years ago when the technology was not as advanced as it is now. There was a great deal of concern that the stronger persrciptions woudl result in some distortion. Technology has since advanced. Many studies have been carried out that demonstrate that there is no real risk of distortion even with strong corrections. These findings were reported to ICAO. Canada was a major supporter of the reccomendations made to ICAO to remove the limitations on the strength of the eye glass perscription. ICAO accepted the finidings and is in the process of revising their medical standards to remove the limitation.

Once ICAO has modified their standards Canada will modify ours as well. The new regulations will only require that your corrected vision be 20/30. There will no longer be a limitation on the strength of the perscription. If you need a pair of old Coke bottles to read 20/30 that will be acceptable.

These doctors have told me that despite the fact that the regulations have not yet been changed TC is applying the new standards now. Bottom line, as long as you can read at least the 20/30 line with your glasses or contacts you are OK.

HoCapt
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by HoCapt »

If that's true, then a lot of weight has just been lifted from people's shoulders. Although TC may decide it makes WAY too much sense.......

duplicate2
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by duplicate2 »

What aeros says is similar to what I have heard from TC. The only difference being that once you get into the higher prescriptions (like myself) they may require you to wear contacts since they provide for better correction (along with the peripheral vision benefits I guess).

tobe1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tobe1 »

For those who have high nearsighted. TC has a Medical Standards Flexibility Regulation which can give you a Cat 1 License even you are -10.0 as long as "it is in the public interest and is not likely to affect aviation safety"

here is the link:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/aviation/REGSERV/CA ... htm#404_05

tobe1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tobe1 »

Do any of you know what do major airlines (within Canada and Oversea) think about laser-corrected pilots? would they give preference to a laser-corrected pilot over a -5.00 pilots with his contact lenses on?

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

Not exactly a vision problen or about eye surgery but has anyone ever walked up to an airplane with a white cane or something dumb like that. We had a guy travelling with us on our freighter one morning and the co-jo walked up to the airplane with a white cane and stumbled (as a joke) The guy trusted us and got on the airplane. Had a good laugh.

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
R1830
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by R1830 »

I was just looking at the requirements and it seems strange I ummm., know a guy thats about -6.75 uncorrected(about 20/300) basically the big E is just a lie, can't make it out and he holds a Cat 1 medical and makes no bones about it does the test every year contacts/glasses/nothing..must be some loophole

Flybabe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Flybabe »

Before I had Lasik I had to endure a barrage of tests by the eye doctor to get my Cat 1 medical ( I was -3.5 in one eye, -3.25 in the other).

I think that as long as a person is correctable to 20/20 and the tests are successful, TC will issue a medical.

'Course, it's been a while for me, too.. things may have changed.

smartass
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by smartass »

ATC will revoke your medical for a year and then you have to undergo more testing to get it reinstated. I don't know if this restriction falls under the same requirements as pilots medicals and they just don't enforce it in that field or if it is a company policy with Nav Canada. Definately check it out before you have it done. Night vision tends to go to pot for some individuals.

Return to “General Comments”