Laser Eye Surgery

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Is my wife lying when she says size doesn't matter?

Yes, all women want 'em huge!
42%
No, it's how you use it
33%
No, a Navajo is plenty big
24%

Total votes: 33

HoCapt
Rank 1
Rank 1

Laser Eye Surgery

Post by HoCapt »

Last time I checked, (about 4 years ago) if you underwent laser eye surgery, the restrictions placed on your medical were:

1) No flying for 3 months
2) then day only for another 3 months

Does anyone know if this is still the case? Has anyone here had it done?
---------- ADS -----------

Regruntled
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Regruntled »

I had it done in '97, at that time you had to take 6 months off so I don't know what the regs are now. After I had it done I had 20/15 (better than 20/20) vision and I loved it. For about the first year after I had it done I had haloing at night which was quite annoying. Fortunately I didn't have my night rating yet at the time so that wasn't an issue, but it may have restricted me to day only if I was flying at night. A couple of months ago I had to get glasses again because my eyes had deteriorated in the last few years.

As far as advice goes, for me it was a no brainer. My eyes were so bad I needed to get it done in order to get a medical. If that wasn't the case I probably wouldn't have done it because the risks, while small, have huge consequences for a commercial pilot. Also I was only glasses-free for six years which is not a lot if you think about it. I asked an optometrist about it (for my wife's sake) and he suggested trying some of the new 30 day leave-in contacts that you can barely tell are there. If you really hate glasses, or can't stand contacts, chances are you can have the surgery and not have any problems. Just make sure you evaluate the risks and decide they're worthwhile. Also if you're going to look up statistics make sure you look at more than just what the clinic sends you. Those guys are in it to sell the procedure so the info they send you paints quite a rosy picture.

Hope this helps, if you need any more info feel free to PM me

Cheers,

R

corn-shoot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by corn-shoot »

Why play with fire?

PS. What's with that stupid poll?

zero
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by zero »

Just got my annual medical done and asked the doc about it. He didn't recommend it, the risks are too great and the outcome is not guaranteed. With glasses your vision is usually corrected to much better than 20/20...may not be so with surgery. Also he mentioned that the area where surgery took place(cornea?) may harden over time and lose it flexibilty resulting in worsening vision and the need for glasses again.

Hope this helps, ask your doc.

HoCapt
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by HoCapt »

Sounds like quite a risk to take. I'm not considering getting the surgery anytime soon. Just looking what others have gone through. Thanks for the input guys.

Hey CornShit, what's wrong with a little F**king humour? Get a life!

Right Seat Captain
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Right Seat Captain »

Personally, I find contacts to be the best thing since sliced bread. Of course I realize not all eyes are comfortable with these in them, but todays technology in Contacts make them unnoticeable to many. They also provide 100% UV Protection, and usually give you better than 20/20 without restricting your peripheral vision. I actually find that glasses decrease my depth perception, and therefore always fly with my contacts.

KMAC
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KMAC »

I had it done in '98. Worked like a charm, and I was better than perfect with some slight halo-ing - but nothing to really complain about.

I recently have had to get glasses with a light prescription (strong enough that I need them to fly and drive, though). I looked into getting a "touch up" and here's the TC ramifications. You get your medical yanked for 30 days (with a touch-up), and then provided it was successful, you get your medical back with a no single pilot provision. All my work is single pilot so that pretty much shuts me down as far as that goes. Glasses aren't near the pain in the ass that I remember them being. Then again, I can get around the house without having to wear them all the time.

I would do it again in a second. I really hated wearing glasses, contacts were too high maintenance, and I was apparently on the borderline of not meeting the cat 1 requirements with my old vision. It was worth it. I'd like to do the touch-up thing, but it's just not in the cards now. Not to mention, you only have so much cornea to shave off - after that you're into corneal replacements. I can't imagine what a treat that is.

kmac

Right Seat Captain
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Contacts aren't as high maintenance as they used to be. Especially with the 2 week or 1 month disposables. They're soft flexible contacts easy to put in and take out, and you dump them into the little container in the solution. No painstaking cleaning, since in a couple of weeks you dump them. I buy 3 months worth for $50, so thats $200 a year. Many people spend that much on glasses. Mind you I still have to have a spear pair of glasses in the cockpit, but since I rarely use them, they never wear out. Mind you they're one perscription behind, but my vision with them is still within limits.

corn-shoot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by corn-shoot »

HoCapt wrote: Hey CornShit, what's wrong with a little F**king humour? Get a life!
Why would I need a life when I have you, and your amazingly witty polls. :roll:

Just ask the question next time.

HoCapt
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by HoCapt »

[/quote]
Why would I need a life when I have you, and your amazingly witty polls.
[/quote]

This coming from a "guy" who only replies with sarcasm or un-intelligent remarks to peoples posts. I don't think I've ever read a serious comment from you in these forums.

I stand by my original response. :P

corn-shoot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by corn-shoot »

I won't disagree with you on that...what's your point, it was still a stupid poll!!

HoCapt
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by HoCapt »

ummmm........well..........yeh..........then we agree then................damn!

Captain Morgan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Captain Morgan »

Does anybody know what the limit on your eye perscription is for a Cat1 med.? Is it still -5.0? Acouple of years ago I thought a doc told me that limitation was removed.

Right Seat Captain
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

I was just about to find you the reference, but TC's website is down...anyways last time I checked last week it was +/- 3.0 OS/OD or 20/200. I'm not sure where you're doctor got that from, because I think that has be the limit for some time. Unless maybe I'm looking at a really old table...

Again, I'll check once TC's website is running. This is a topic I've been watching closely, since my vision is currently at -3.0. So I would be elated to hear that the limit is actually -5.0.

HoCapt
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by HoCapt »

Yeh, that would be nice to know the actual prescription required. I'm -2.5 each eye.

I asked the doc at my last medical what line on the eye chart I needed to read without glasses inorder to pass. He said the 3rd one from the top I think. Most charts have the big E on top, followed by F-P, then T-O-Z. You have to be able to read atleast the T-O-Z. (not that I've memorized the chart or anything) lol And I'm pretty sure the 3rd line is 20/200.

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Kosiw »

The top line of the eye chart the big "E" is 20/200, next line down is 20/100, and the third line is 20/70........

I was 20/200, and getting worse, so I said f#ck it and went and got my eyes done, now I am 20/15 in both eyes.........no regrets........

I suggest asking lots of questions from your eye doctor and reading about the pros and cons of the procedure on the net........ :roll:

Right Seat Captain
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

I found the link. The table of requirements for each medical is at:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/aviation/REGSERV/CA ... 42402e.htm

The visual requirements section is past the halfway down the page after hearing requirements.

The funny thing is, I seem to know many who have gotten away with worse vision, and they also have an exception in the CARs for monocular pilots (ie they only see out of one eye).

If the requriement is to read to see the top line, then there shouldn't be any problem for me for some time, despite being 20/200 already, since I can easy see it, and can see better by squinting.

I asked my eyedoctor in December if he knew the requirements, and he told me commercial pilots can't wear glasses in Canada. So I'm looking for a new eye doctor...I asked my aviation doctor, he mumbled something and walked out the room. So indeed, I'm really curious to find the real answer here.

Captain Morgan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Captain Morgan »

Thanks for the link Right Seat. Lets just say I'm somewhat shocked to see +- 3.0 is the limit.

Like others have mentioned, docs and other professionals have given me conflicting info on this subject over the years. One eye doc said its +-5. Another doc said I would never fly for "the airlines" with glasses. (Old school--Just like needing a 4 year degree.) My current medical doc is happy if you're converting oxygen to CO2.

Roger, continuing...

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

The TC requirement for eyesight is also somewhat flexible. I got a class I medical 12 years ago, when my sight was -3.75 in one eye, and -5.0 in the other. There is (or was) a provision for 'flexibility' under the rules - you just have to ask for it. I'd love to get the laser job done - but I'm worried about being one of the 2% who end up with complications. Glasses/contacts are a hassle, but they are reliable.

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Right Seat Captain
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

North Shore,

Do you know where the provisions in the CARs are for eyesight flexibility? I have found the allowance for flexibility in the regs for monocular pilots, amongst other diseases and conditions, but nothing for eyesight.

Return to “General Comments”