Flying To Montreal

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Tango01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Flying To Montreal

Post by Tango01 »

Hi people. I have 3 questions. If I want to fly to Montreal from either CYTZ or CYOO, VFR. (1) What route do you suggest? (2) What airport do I land in? (3) How do I communicate, since I don't speak French?

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

T01
---------- ADS -----------

Timing is everything.
N8
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by N8 »

1) Follow the Lake Ontario shoreline then when able direct to YUL.
2) YUL is big, but accommodating to G/A aircraft. I don’t believe there is a landing fee their either (can anyone else confirm?)
3) ATC will speak English. ATIS will be available in English and in French. Check the CFS for the correct frequency.

Enjoy your trip. I was there this past winter. It was cold as hell, but a very good trip. Say “bonjour” to the French girls for me.

Oh ya, remember to pick up new maps for the area.

Tango01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Tango01 »

Thanks N8. I was thinking of following the lake too. As soon as I land, straight to Super Sex...

Timing is everything.
Benwa
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Benwa »

Tango, I would suggest St-Hubert (CYHU).
All controllers in Québec speak english, so there is no problem there...

As for the route, follow the North shore of the St-Lawrence... it's nice ! The thousand Islands are really cool. When you get closer to Montreal, call the terminal to have flight following, that way you'll get the traffic advisories. I think it's the safest way to go, on 126.7 you won't understand a thing... Most people do understand english though.

In CYHU, I would suggest you re-fuel at Esso (Petro Air Services).
Even though I hate them, you will get the best service there.

If you plan on going to CYUL (Pierre-Elliot Trudeau, aka Dorval), go see the chicks at Skyservice, but you'll pay way too much for gas.

PM me if you have questions.

If you decide to fly to Quebec City, CYQB. Let me know! We'll go for a snack ! You can fly the whole leg from Montreal under flight following by Montreal Centre.

Benwa

EDIT:
There are no landing fees in CYUL and CYHU. Stay away from CYMX... They don't like small planes...

N8
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by N8 »

benwa wrote:When you get closer to Montreal, call the terminal to have flight following, that way you'll get the traffic advisories.
Heck, you may as well get flight following all the way from YOO or YTZ.
Call terminal on 133.4 when you are out of the control zone. Talk to an instructor if you are unfamiliar with how to request flight following.

hz2p
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by hz2p »

You need a pre-arranged squawk code for YUL airspace, which you either get when you file a flight plan, or by calling 877-YUL-CODE. Check the CFS!

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

It was many years ago that I last visited YUL but I found absolutly no problem whatsoever with French. Every ATC unit was FLUENT French and/or English. Everwhere I went, people replied in whatever language was first spoken. I enjoyed the short time I was there.

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
cedarjet
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cedarjet »

I suggest following the shoreline till you hit YUL. If anything, call up the tower and ask them if it's ok at the time you're estimating. Being a bilingual country, they all speak english, although you'll hear french being spoken. Usually its when the pilot initiates the french, otherwise will be en anglais. The skyservice FBO, they drive you to the main terminal where you can catch the bus, $2 later you're downtown. I think its bus 2B ? Take a camera, it's mini pearson.

Tango01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Tango01 »

Lots of good info guys, thanks. I'll let you know how it went. Probably will go end of next week.

T01

Timing is everything.
cedarjet
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cedarjet »

hasta siempre comandate

epsyb
Rank 0
Rank 0