ppg

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

The_fly_guy_in_the_sky
Rank 0
Rank 0

ppg

Post by The_fly_guy_in_the_sky »

Hello All,

I am looking at getting into PPG. I was looking at the different types of licences, private, rec...etc. And then stumbled onto a powered para gliding site. The whole being able to take off within several feet and land in several feet is really appealing to me at my cottage. Does anyone have any info about the sport and places to buy equipment. I've looked online but only found 2-3 sites...there HAS to be more than that....

I found the avereage is about 10 000 for equip brand new...Is it better to get new..or can used motor be good ? (i know for the sail it's better new as the UV hours are none)

Also, if you have any major reasons why this isn't safe...let me know...I would like to get a Pilots point of view on the sport.
---------- ADS -----------

Clodhopper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: POWERED PARA GLIDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Clodhopper »

The_fly_guy_in_the_sky wrote:Also, if you have any major reasons why this isn't safe...let me know...I would like to get a Pilots point of view on the sport.
Uhhhh...I can think of a few. I mean, it seems like a logical choice: you get an engine, and in case that doesn't work, you're already hooked up to a parachute! Primo!

But hey, I've never done it, so what can I say about it.

I guess there are the same things that can go wrong in an airplane, and skydiving combined. But you aren't regulated to protect against most of them.

a.k.a. "Big Foot"
bandit1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by bandit1 »

I've been looking at getting into it for a few years now. Spoke to some guys that fly them on a regular basis and they say it's the cheapest way to get in the air. Super safe as long at it's not too gusty and turbulent because the cells can collapse.

It would be alot of fun on the frozen lakes in winter time.

bandit1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by bandit1 »

I've been looking at getting into it for a few years now. Spoke to some guys that fly them on a regular basis and they say it's the cheapest way to get in the air. Super safe as long at it's not too gusty and turbulent because the cells can collapse.

It would be alot of fun on the frozen lakes in winter time.

. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

OK, I'll break the ice. (you know someone's gonna ask it)

Does this count as "ultralight" time, and towards your total time?

-istp :smt017

bandit1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by bandit1 »

good question-

YES it can IF you register it with TC and get a C-I... call sign like an ultralight.

I think it costs 75 bucks or something and all you have to do is stick the letter under the harness of on the frame.

Of course you can only count a couple hours towards the ATPL but who cares! total time is total time and it's fun so better than sitting at home on the computer

Wilbur
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Wilbur »

Can you use them commercially; giving rides, flying billboard, aerial photography, etc? How about on amphibs for when the frozen lake melts?

bandit1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by bandit1 »

Wilbur, we're talking about powered para gliders which you strap an engine on your back and use your legs as the landing gear.

I've seen tandem harnesses but I hear the performance sucks.

You can buy a pair of rubber boots and fly from puddles if you want to log float time!

Water off
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Water off »

I am looking at these too. I always thought that it would be my retirement job flying a Corona billboard up and down the beach somewhere warm. Yes, you can get billboards for them. I like the La Mouett Sky bike. It is one that is just a back pack style.
Saving my pennies!!

. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

Here's a sketch of the powered paraglider amphib kit.

-istp :D

The_fly_guy_in_the_sky
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by The_fly_guy_in_the_sky »

Obviously there are risks involved, but you have a parachute already deployed to your back. Also, I was looking into also getting a Reserve chute for it too, just to be on the safe side. Does anyone here have a ppg and good give me a few pointers what to ask when the flying schools?

Thanks guys.

Springbok 3
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Springbok 3 »

The fly guy in the sky,

PM me or give me a ring on 705 428 3111 anytime between 09h00 and 17h00.

Bssically PPC`s come in two configurations. Basic strap on harness which contains the power pack and controls which are then attached to the "chute", inflated and away you go. The other configuration is where you are seated in a trike frame (dual tandem or single) onto which the engine is mounted and the chute is attached. These PPC`s usually have Rotax engines varying in size from 503 (2 stroke 45hp), 582 (2 stroke 65hp) or (12 ULS 4 stroke 100hp).

After completing a basic course where TC asks for a 10 hour minimum which includes 2 hours solo, 20 hrs ground school, TC Ultra exam you are issued with an ultralight permit. They are treated as ultralight aircraft and I have had two students who recently completed their transition from PPC`s to fixed wing advanced ultralights without much difficulty.

They are great in calm weather and when flown within their respective envelopes. Low and slow is what they are good for and they are great as sightseeing platforms. Beware of gusty wind conditions which could collapse parachute cells. Most guys carry a reserve parachute just in case.

Anyway, enough already, contact me if you want some sound advice or if you are looking for a good second hand rig.

Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war
Freeride
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Freeride »

If you pay for a PPG rating you are ruining it for all the rest of us. Go work the ramp/Hill/Area with good updrafts like everyone else. This might fly in europe but not in Canada. Shame on you!!! Just put in the time and your dreams of Paragliding will come true.

Clarence
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Clarence »

"If you pay for a PPG rating you are ruining it for all the rest of us. Go work the ramp/Hill/Area with good updrafts like everyone else. This might fly in europe but not in Canada. Shame on you!!! Just put in the time and your dreams of Paragliding will come true."

lmfao

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Try sending a PM to D5GRVTY, he's really into para gliding and might know somewhere to get more info on popwered parachutes.

Just stay away from the statue of liberty and you'll be fine... :lol:

D5GRVTY
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by D5GRVTY »

Argghh what are dragging me into Co-jo, I leave behind the noise maker at work, you need to pay me to sit close to that thing :)

In all seriousness I'm very into the paragliding thing and if you live close to any hills the motorless stuff is way more fun.

PM if you want more info, I'll point you in the right direction, the motorless one that is :)

D5

Return to “General Comments”