Renting from Private owners

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Bobby868
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Bobby868 »

I own. And I disagree that owning is cheaper than renting. Unless you are going to fly 100hrs+ a year.

People often think that flight schools are ripping them off but it only takes a little maintenance troubles and you begin to see where the money goes.

I rented my plane out to a fellow last years. He bought 50hrs off of me. He lightly commented about all the money I was making off of him. even I thought I might be making some cash. I took in about $5000.00 for that time. the annual was close to $10,000.00 so in the long run, even after that rental bit, I still spent alot of cash on that plane over and above the intial purchase price.

If anyone that tells you, you can save money owning a plane rather than renting has either never owned a plane or is trying to sell you one.

Just my 2cents
---------- ADS -----------

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

You can buy a pretty nice 150 for the price of a decked out Harley! And you still get an air cooled engine, two seats...but they toss in a windshield and wings!

C-150Pilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by C-150Pilot »

Is this possible with a recreational license also? Iheard that it is impossible to get on the insurance policy...

Fly it until the last piece stops moving
"I give your landing a 9...on the Richter scale."
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

" the annual was close to $10,000.00 so in the long run, even after that rental bit, I still spent alot of cash on that plane over and above the intial purchase price. "

If you paid $10,000 for an annual there sure as hell was more than an annual done.

Obviously the airplane has maintenance issues, what did you have to get fixed?

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
dangerous
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by dangerous »

C-150Pilot wrote:Is this possible with a recreational license also? Iheard that it is impossible to get on the insurance policy...
You don't even have to be a pilot to own an airplane.

"Yeah. There is a problem. You...because you're dangerous. You're dangerous and foolish - and that makes you dangerous! Now, let's cut the...crap. We've got a plane to fly. Let's try to be on time, okay?"
~Val Kilmer, Saturday Night Live

Return to “General Comments”