Preferred IFR Route - Kitchener to Windsor

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Elessar_44
Rank 3
Rank 3

Preferred IFR Route - Kitchener to Windsor

Post by Elessar_44 »

Ok does anyone have a current CFS and can quickly flip to the Planning section and find me the preferred IFR from Kitchener (YFK) to Windsor (YQG)? I thought I had a current CFS but its actually an outdated copy and I'm pretty sure they changed the routing.

It used to be YKF - YQO - V2 - HADAR but I'm pretty sure they changed it as I hear Mesaba reading back a different clearance nowadays. I think its YKF - YXU - some radial - SPICA.

Anyways if anyone can quick find me that info I would be very appreciative.
---------- ADS -----------

giligan
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by giligan »

It's been a few months but here goes.

(on the east side of YXU) YXU / axxis / drome / / winzz / yqg.

The name of the arrival is the same as the fix I am missing.

Sorry. I will edit it if I remember and noone else comes up with it.

I believe there is a crossing restriction to cross that fix at 11,000 feet as well.

I believe The SPICA fix is for the SPICA 2 into KDTW.

hope thisat least joggs some memories.
gil

Dick
Rank 2
Rank 2
Location: A position or point in physical space. That's where I am!

Post by Dick »

The name of the fix you are missing is PICES, and the PICES1 Arrival

sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by sky's the limit »

The 401 in Feb???

STL

Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

There isn't any routing from CYKF to CYQG, but CYYZ is close enough. It is V104 YXU PICES PICES1. I'd point myself at some intersection on V104, like PIGLI for convenience. That's approximately the YWT 203 radial.

Yes the routing has changed, several times over the last 3 cycles. It has something to do with realignment of routes in the NE US. Mesaba is still going to SPICA, and using the SPICA2 arrival into Detroit. A weird thing is, if you're using London as an alternate, the routing from Windsor to London is direct MOONN. MOONN is not on an airway, but it is near HADAR. Without RNAV, there's no way to get directly to MOONN unless you pick a radial off the YQG VOR. In fact, for the first couple of cycles after that routing was published in the CFS, MOONN didn't even appear on the LO chart.

Cheers.

Jungle Jim
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Jungle Jim »

When I go IFR(I follow roads), I usually just follow the 401.

Jim

Elessar_44
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Elessar_44 »

Awesome thanks very much guys

Wasn't Me
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Wasn't Me »

Don't stress it file direct and they will give you a good route on the clearance.

I wish I could spell
RufusXavierSasparrilla
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RufusXavierSasparrilla »

Don't stress it file direct and they will give you a good route on the clearance.
Just don't expect direct. Due to changes made by the FAA concerning the handling of non-radar aircraft (everybody flying below 6000 ft in that particular airspace) requires CLE centre to have aircraft established on airways or direct to the first fix/navaid coming into their airspace. Also, they aren't to crazy about direct above 6000 ft 'cause it takes the aircraft through one of DTW's arrival corridors.

bizjet_mania
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by bizjet_mania »

CYKF DIRECT AYLMER (YQO VOR) HADAR2 Arrival

Flying back to CYKF from CYQG its CYQG Direct VLADI Direct CYKF

Thats what you want to plan if you're doing your IFR ride

bbb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bbb »

Bizjet - that's what it used to be..... now its to pices, pices arrival....had this new clearance 3x in last 3 weeks "waterloo 2 pices, pices arrival......" (GPS equipped) Heard mesaba get "waterloo 2 YXU, pices, pices arrival...." (spelling of pices? don't have the chart here) this was in use before published on LO chart, YXU FSS was giving a heads-up when you called for a briefing on that route.

"oh, I have slipped.." into what, we're not sure
bizjet_mania
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by bizjet_mania »

thats bbb, any idea if for the reason for change? is it temporary or new preferred routing? CYKF is really starting to become a busy airport they should start publishing some routings in the CFS for the airport

flyincanuck
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by flyincanuck »

[quote="Aviatard"]MOONN is not on an airway, but it is near HADAR. Without RNAV, there's no way to get directly to MOONN unless you pick a radial off the YQG VOR. In fact, for the first couple of cycles after that routing was published in the CFS, MOONN didn't even appear on the LO chart.

Cheers.[/quote

Thanks, thought i was losin it...

8) ]

Clodhopper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Clodhopper »

flyincanuck wrote:
Aviatard wrote:MOONN is not on an airway, but it is near HADAR. Without RNAV, there's no way to get directly to MOONN unless you pick a radial off the YQG VOR. In fact, for the first couple of cycles after that routing was published in the CFS, MOONN didn't even appear on the LO chart.

Cheers.
Thanks, thought i was losin it...

8) ]
Don't need RNAV to find MOONN, its the DXO VOR (113.4), 42nm, 083 Radial. Its on the LO too, it has a Facility Locator box just to the left of it, for the radial off of Detroit, because its not obvious where the intersection comes from. And the distance is just to the upper left of the intersection, the little D-> icon.

Cheers

a.k.a. "Big Foot"
benice
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by benice »

FILE DIRECT.
It works.

BeNiCe
Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

Clodhopper wrote: Don't need RNAV to find MOONN, its the DXO VOR (113.4), 42nm, 083 Radial.
Aw yeah I see it now. Thanks for pointing it out, Clodhopper. I totally missed it.

Cheers.

bbb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bbb »

Bizjet-
Something to do with Detroit, and changing some of the arrivals there - too conjested thru YQO and Hadar with CLE/BKL and CAK/AKR, and then YYZ traffic down to DAY, Columbus etc. Looks fairly permanent, and makes sense, unless you're going to YIP. (But even with the old HADAR, still wound up north end Detroit trying to get to the south side, so from controllers pov, no big deal there.) Hard to depart here and not automatically turn to 216! As for why we don't have published preferred routings, go figure - I guess a place that's consistantly in the top 10 tower movements just doesn't figure unless you're a capital or something!

"oh, I have slipped.." into what, we're not sure

Return to “General Comments”