Crossing the Drake

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Crossing the Drake

Post by just curious »

It has been a very long week...

Prepping four airplanes, to fly from the top of the world to the bottom of the world (with four new crewmembers) requires patience, planning, forbearance, skill, and several other virtues that I don't possess.

And yet, seven days after our Calgary departure, we are here. Granted, we are at Rothera (the Brit Station on the peninsula), and not at our destination. It's a lot like saying we're almost in Inuvik when we depart Halifax.

Leaving was not, for all of us the pleasant exciting time it often is. Personal tragedy, mis-placed equipment, and aprehension about flying off the edge of the known world made it difficult for several of us. Flying into one country enroute where deviations from normal flight tolerances often result in arrest likely didn't make it easier for the new crews.

We have had good flight conditions the length of the flight. Tail-winds, fair weather, no thunderstorms or accumulated icing. Yesterday made up for that.

Crossing the Drake is an occaision not unlike crossing the equator for sailors. For pilots the things that we forget from flight school really are important. We reach a point of no return enroute. At this point we are commited to proceeding. There is a critical point where we will take an equal mount of time to return safely to South America or to proceed. We have a different calculation if an engine fails and we must fly home at a slower speed. New co-pilots tend to be very solemn when they calculate these points. I have a new co-pilot.

While we have forecasters building forecasts and interpreting weather sattellite imagery for us, nature is a force to be reckoned with. The winds were more a hindrance that a help. Icing limited our ability to climb. We had a window of opportunity to arrive in Rothera of about eight hours. It is a seven hour flight. I landed on the ski strip above the base. The previous two aircraft on wheels landed at the base. The ski tracks of the first aircraft to land at the ski-strip (my reference for safe touchdown ) disappeared in the half light of cloud cover (flat light) 15 minutes after touchdown.

Arriving on the continent means changing the configuration of the aircraft from wheels to wheel-skis to land at the ski-way, and then from wheel-skis to straight skis. Wheel-skis weigh 900 pounds. We take one set of these for each two aircraft. Straight skis 300. We take them all with us. Changing them means an engineer has to have the help of his pilots. Which means twice as much work for the engineers as working alone.

We worked to the end of our duty day up on the glacier changing the skiis. Tow machines now have skis. Two are on wheel-skis. The latter will fly up to the top of the glacier when the weather improves. Then we will put straight skis on them. This an all-day process. As a rule, engineer's have a much lower opinion of pilots than when they started.

Today the weather is as brutal as you might be able to picture, when you imagine Polar explorers trudging through the snow. No visability due to driving snow in a 40 knot wind. No contrast so that you trip over any small drift. Today we are staying put. Tomorrow too maybe. After a week of speaking Spanglish, we are learning to speak English English. There are 21 dialects of it. There are 21 Brits here. Each one speaks a different dialect.

But we are here!
---------- ADS -----------

Dockjock
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Dockjock »

Very cool. Please keep the updates (and pics) flowing through the next few months. Cheers and good luck.

TerrainTerrain
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by TerrainTerrain »

Incredible write-up! Would love to hear more about this.

Stay safe down there.

Greg87
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Greg87 »

Just out of curiosity, what are you doing there?

joebloggs
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by joebloggs »

Great story. You are indeed living the dream!! Keep'm coming JC. Cheers.

just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by just curious »

Just out of curiosity, what are you doing there?
About 136 kias at altitude.

just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by just curious »

ei ei owe
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ei ei owe »

Another day another dollar right?

Pretty cool way to get the bucks if you ask me.

Everything comes in threes....
av8tor_assrope
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by av8tor_assrope »

wow...keep'em coming jc. all the best on your trip.

cheers

I want to die like my grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers...
Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Looks like quite the interesting trip JC, keep us informed! I always love good twotter pictures!

My those machines sure look clean!

looproll
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by looproll »

thanks for the post and interesting pics

twotter
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by twotter »

As usual, excellant commentary. Great pics as well.. Fly safe.

Vector2ILS
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Vector2ILS »

you are definetly living a dream shared by many of us! keep the pictures coming.

loopy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by loopy »

Hey JC. Leaving the cominc cold winter in Inuvik for the tropical south 8) . Didn't anyone ever tell you that you are supposed to stay in the warm climate, not keep going until you hit the other pole :shock: :!:

Have a good season, and stay warm :wink: .

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

Call me a pussy, but you couldn't pay me enough to fly there.

Why not go someplace warm, where the sun is shining and there are bars on the sandy beach serving drinks with crushed ice, and Jimmy Buffett is playing on the sound system, and there are hordes of horny women tourists looking to get laid?

There must be something wrong with me, I guess.

El Comat
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by El Comat »

Hedley,

First you need to stories to tell those horny women tourists when you're sitting at the swim-up bar, and what better way to get them to listen than by starting with, "So there I was in Antarctica...." :D

Joking aside, it looks like those guys from Borek do some pretty amazing things, I would love to tag along for a trip and see how they do it.

EC

Rubberbiscuit
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Rubberbiscuit »

Great pics/post! Could u please keep us posted on the temp as well :D :wink:

"Nearly all safety regulations are based upon lessons which have been paid for in blood by those who attempted what you are contemplating" Tony Kern
Siddley Hawker
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Siddley Hawker »

Thanks for that jc. I see KBG is back down there. For the non-Borek people, that's the one that went to the South pole in the middle of the winter.

Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by 180 »

Great pics and very interesting stuff...keep it coming.

As for the warm beaches, swim up bars and sey tourists, I'll give them your regards JC.

Canook
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Canook »

Is the BAS Dash-7 around there anywhere? Just wondering, as there's probably one or two fellow Canucks handling the maintenance on it around there too. At least there has been in previous years, haven't talked to the one fellow I know for quite a while now.

How about some pics of all the ancient snowmobiles they have there. Any penguins about?

Return to “General Comments”