Best FTU in the Toronto area to get an instructor rating.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

helinas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Best FTU in the Toronto area to get an instructor rating.

Post by helinas »

Where is the best flight training unit in the Greater Toronto area which I include Hamilton, Guelph, Kitchener to train for your class 4 instructor rating. Which one would give you an opportunity to include some charter flying on the side after they give you a job opportunity and pay your dues instructing.

Any comments or input would be kindly appreciated.

thank you
---------- ADS -----------

bizjet_mania
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by bizjet_mania »

Same boat as you. Toronto airways will train you, but they dont guarantee hiring you. Seems not too many FTUs are doing much charters. The one on the island I dont think gets too many charters either. Many Peninsulair or Guelph?

Clodhopper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Clodhopper »

Peninsulair is great for the actual instructor rating itself, but we're currently not hiring any Class 4's as far as I know. Our "Instructor-Instructor" is extremely knowledgeable and has been around the industry for ages.

As for charter, we have a Navajo that flys periodically, nothing franticly busy, but you never know.

a.k.a. "Big Foot"
Charles the Equestrian
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Charles the Equestrian »

Last edited by Charles the Equestrian on Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
helinas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by helinas »

clod hopper

I am assuming you are talking about the super sonic transport himself. He did my commercial, multi and multi ifr flight tests when D. S. was the Chief instructor there.

I would love to get my instructor rating at Peninsulair but only if they give me a an opportunity to work.

I hope super sonic is doing great and he is by the far the greatest aviator and teacher I personally have met.

helinas

Nightflight
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Nightflight »

bizjet_mania wrote:Same boat as you. Toronto airways will train you, but they dont guarantee hiring you. Seems not too many FTUs are doing much charters. The one on the island I dont think gets too many charters either. Many Peninsulair or Guelph?
I know that in recent times TAL has been hurting for instructors so you might be able to negotiate something with them. One of their class 1 instructors, Sylvie is top notch and highly recommended. I did mine many moons ago with her and like I said - top notch!
One downside with TAL is multi time. They do some multi, and multi IFR training, but the pecking order is long and could take a long time before you get to it. Also as far as I know they don't do any twin charters or anything like that. Hope this helps
Cheers!!!

helinas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by helinas »

Anybody else have anything new to add on what might be a great place to get the instructor rating and teach there in the GTA. I am from Hamilton, On.

thanks guys,

what do people think of Niagara Centre in St. Catharines? I hear somebody new bought the place as the above equestrian has commented.

bob sacamano
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by bob sacamano »

tekanis helinas,

no one is going to guarantee you anything in this business. You just do your rating where you think you'll get the best instruction, and then find yourself a job. If they hire you, great, if not, oh well.

When it comes down to flight training, two things to look at, the maintenance and the instructor him/herself thats going to train you.

The school could be shit, but the instructor could be great.

I don't like to advertise for flight school, but I'd call Guelph and talk to S.P. and see if he has time to do your rating.

:smt109
helinas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by helinas »

Efharisto para poli Bob Sacamano.

I know a very good instructor instructor if you know what I mean at Peninsulair but I have heard bad things about spinning the tomahawk. I see that Guelph is advertising for all kinds of instructors as well.

bob you are right, do it and go from there.

thanks

Clodhopper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Clodhopper »

helinas wrote:Efharisto para poli Bob Sacamano.

I know a very good instructor instructor if you know what I mean at Peninsulair but I have heard bad things about spinning the tomahawk. I see that Guelph is advertising for all kinds of instructors as well.

bob you are right, do it and go from there.

thanks
Helinas,

Don't have to spin the Tomahawk, just spin the Cherokee instead! :lol: The only problem with the Tomahawk is how long it takes to recover, alot of students aren't prepared to hold the inputs for 2+ rotations, and start panicking.

Pick a place with a Class 1 you like, and move on afterwards. Alot of flight schools are looking for any class of instructor so it shouldn't be a problem. I can let SST know today if you'd like.

a.k.a. "Big Foot"
Mr. Jones
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mr. Jones »

Kawartha Lakes Flight Centre http://www.flykawarthalakes.ca/ in Lindsay isn't quite in the GTA, but they do have pretty good prices. They've also been doing the air cadet contract for the last few years and hire the people they train at least for that. You'd get to a class III pretty quick that way.

They're a small school, but seem pretty busy.

helinas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by helinas »

clod hopper,

Thanks for the comments, please ask Mr. SST if he doesn't mind taking on a 40 year old student and train me for an instructor. What do you mean you don't have to spin the tomahawk? If I want to I don't have to train on the hawk? That would be better.

Let me know what he says and what his schedule is like.

thanks

helinas

bob sacamano
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by bob sacamano »

Mr. Jones wrote:Kawartha Lakes Flight Centre http://www.flykawarthalakes.ca/ in Lindsay isn't quite in the GTA, but they do have pretty good prices. They've also been doing the air cadet contract for the last few years and hire the people they train at least for that. You'd get to a class III pretty quick that way.

They're a small school, but seem pretty busy.
How long has the CFI there had his class 1? Does he have any real life experience outside the practice area?

Howbout working during the winter, will an new hire get any flight time?

I'mm not so sure about this class 3 pretty quick thing that you speak of.

when someone is shelling out close to 8K, I'd sure hope that the class 1 would have some practice outside the scuggog area (or however you spell it).

Kawartha lakes has never had a rep for instructor ratings.

Give advice sure, but don't try to advertise for free.

C206Pilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by C206Pilot »

Charles the Equestrian wrote:Actually the Niagara Flight Academy is really starting to develop into an excellent place to train down in CYSN. Owned by Niagara Air Tours, but under new ownership who really seem to treat their guys well.

They have a well experienced fellow (probably 50-60 yrs old) there that left bush flying to come back and be a flight instructor. He will really make a pilot out of you of you let him. Great experience and they have great potential from what I hear. They have great potential for other types of flying too!

http://www.niagaraairtours.com/aviationacademyniagara

ah yah.....nice advertisement

this post is the equivalent of an actor going on a late night talk show and talking about nothing except his new movie which is the greatest movie ever made and everyone should go see it. you made use of the medium, but you went a little too far and made your post seem more like a joke.

please...

go with a school that is established. not one that offers flight training as a side project when they're not flying tours. and especially not one bought by some rich kids' daddy who gave them the company for something to do. yah, i went there. eat it, with a fork!

Mr. Jones
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mr. Jones »

Bob,
The thread was about the best place to get an Instructor Rating. Very subjective topic. Hard to give advise without it looking the an ad.

To answer your questions...

How long has the CFI there had his class 1?
I don't know but I think he has around 2000 hours of instructing.
Does he have any real life experience outside the practice area?
Yes, but this doesn't really matter to be able to provide an instructor rating.
I am sure like most schools, they slow down in the winter, but yes new hires get flight time in the winter.

Two guys that I know upgraded in 6 weeks doing air cadets. Timing is everything so it depends when the guy wants to do his intructor rating.

KLFC has been quietly growing and expanding. A reputation takes years to build but I think they are starting to get a good name outside of the local area.[/code]

helinas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by helinas »

Enough bickering guys,

I don't know who is trying to advertise here or comment on what really happens here but I just want an opinion on after completing your instructor rating who might give me the best chance to also be employed there as an instructor.
Nothing is ever guaranteed in life that who ever trains me will hire me, just looking for the honest comments regarding this.

Let's all have a great day now.

Charles the Equestrian
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Charles the Equestrian »

C206Pilot wrote:

please...

go with a school that is established. not one that offers flight training as a side project when they're not flying tours. and especially not one bought by some rich kids' daddy who gave them the company for something to do. yah, i went there. eat it, with a fork!
Of course it was an advertisement, you retard. I would encourage anyone to find a well experienced flight instructor to do their rating with over some pimple faced kid with Air Canada on his mind. Ohhhhh let's do slow flight again, Billy, I sure could use an extra 0.7 in my inflated logbook.

Next thought, how can you comment on flight training being a side project when you have no idea of the organization's current situation? And finally, what do you care where the owner's money comes from. All I want to see is a well run business without any shortcomings with financing. If this company is well backed, why should they apologize to you?

But yea, that totally sucks that someone's family has a reputation of being hard working and wise to the business world. Sorry you feel threatened by success, but I'll still recommend people check out this flight school. From what I have seen it looks to have a lot of potential. I have nothing to gain from this, so you can chew on it. I stand by my plug.

Hey, just looked at your previous posts about NAT:
Posted on the PCC website. Looking for Class 2, will consider Class 3 (close to Class 2). This person will also be the 703 Chief Pilot for the tour season. Company fly's C172, C206 & T207's.

Personal Note: Great Company. No Complaints.
:lol:

bob sacamano
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by bob sacamano »

Mr. Jones wrote:Bob,
The thread was about the best place to get an Instructor Rating. Very subjective topic. Hard to give advise without it looking the an ad.

To answer your questions...

How long has the CFI there had his class 1?
I don't know but I think he has around 2000 hours of instructing.
Does he have any real life experience outside the practice area?
Yes, but this doesn't really matter to be able to provide an instructor rating.
I am sure like most schools, they slow down in the winter, but yes new hires get flight time in the winter.

Two guys that I know upgraded in 6 weeks doing air cadets. Timing is everything so it depends when the guy wants to do his intructor rating.

KLFC has been quietly growing and expanding. A reputation takes years to build but I think they are starting to get a good name outside of the local area.[/code]
2000 hours and you want someone to get an instructor rating from them? sure it may be ok on paper and by TC, but I wouldn't want to do it.

Spending 8K for is not like buying a pack of juicy fruit, you gotta think twice on the product that you're getting.

How can you be a class 1 with only 2000 and have other experience? 2 hours chartering a 172 to ytz?

Between 4 or 5 instructors, combined with winter season, a new hire can expect 5 hours a week if he's lucky.

The reason kawartha lakes was busy this summer was due to the missfortune of others in the area. NF4 wants to compete with YPQ and YOO ?? now come on.

Any Post
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Any Post »

Call Brampton. I've heard that they are looking for instructors and are starting a fall instructor GS.

Hooked
Rank 1
Rank 1

FTU in GTA

Post by Hooked »

Helinas you should check out KLFC. I can tell you first hand that this is an excellent place for flight training. I have just finished my Comm/Multi with them and currently doing the IFR. Next will hopefully be the instructor rating. I have already been informed that if I do the the instructor rating I will get a chance to prove my salt here after that. I have personally flown with the CFI here on several occassions and finds his skills as an instructor are second to no one. Try not to listen to some of the negatives on this web site as most people with attitudes like that are not given towards success anyway. Just my two cents take it as you please but I would be happy to talk to more about my experience here with the various staff, and the level of skill and the quality of their instruction @hotmail.com. Just for the record I have flown with four different flight schools before settling here to complete my training and everyday I sleep just fine with my decision.

Return to “General Comments”