HARMONY?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: lilfssister, North Shore, ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, I WAS Birddog

arewethereyet
Rank 3
Rank 3

HARMONY?

Post by arewethereyet »

Anyone know how harmony is doing?.. Rumour is they are on life support
---------- ADS -----------

tincanflyer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tincanflyer »

here we go again!! :roll:
been discussed main times lately...use the search!!

YVR Dude
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by YVR Dude »

I hear Westjet is up to their old tricks trying to say that Harmony's not doing well...I think different....Harmony's doing just fine! 8) Full loads (or near full) on the Hawaii routes all winter, and LAS has always treated them well...new schedules for YYZ.

No worries... :D

YVR Dude
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by YVR Dude »

I guess I should be more precise...Not all at Westjet are up to this..just some bad joe's...too bad, really... :?

Sorry guys..didn't mean to slag all of ya! 8)

invertedattitude
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by invertedattitude »

I have no clue myself how Harmony is doing but:

JetsGo flew with full loads a lot of the time too.

Load Factor means nothing.

CanadaEH
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CanadaEH »

I hear Westjet is up to their old tricks trying to say that Harmony's not doing well...
If you're the same guy on another forum that's been insinuating the same thing I say you're full of shit. I heard two AC mechanics talking about the same thing in the lineup at Timmys last weekend - so what? It's an industry where everyone seems to know everything.

The Raven
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Raven »

Canada Eh,

While other airline employees may continue the rumours, they do seem to be started and nourished by WestJet employees.

As a matter of fact, leading up to the closure of Jetsgo and Canjet's scheduled operations there seemed to be an organized campaign of rumour and innuendo that appeared to originate in Calgary.

Just my observations of course.

The Raven

Hoov
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hoov »

Well then, where are Jetsgo and Canjet now? Good thing all those WJ employees were way off eh.

I carry my crucifix
Under my deathlist
Forward my mail to me in hell
Liars and the martyrs
Lost faith in The Father
Long lost in the wishing well

Wild side

The Raven
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Raven »

"Good thing all those WJ employees were way off eh."

So you're not denying it then.

It's just that as rumours spread, passengers may be reluctant to book with the airline in question, thus hastening it's demise.

double-j
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by double-j »

The Raven wrote:Canada Eh,

While other airline employees may continue the rumours, they do seem to be started and nourished by WestJet employees.

As a matter of fact, leading up to the closure of Jetsgo and Canjet's scheduled operations there seemed to be an organized campaign of rumour and innuendo that appeared to originate in Calgary.

Just my observations of course.

The Raven
WJ also was involved with the shooting of JFK..

foolish posts.

The Raven
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Raven »

Probably time to put this thread to bed. After all, no real proof of anything.

It's just that Westjet doesn't exactly have a lily-white record when it comes to fair play.....

Ryan Coke2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ryan Coke2 »

So why were a bunch of Harmony's flights out of YYZ cancelled this week? Really, I'm just asking.

As for the rest of this stuff, Harmony is a small player that does a nice job. It really won't make much of a difference to WJ. But people see some unusual signs, and start wondering. Now that turns into a big conspiracy theory?

On the flipside, I certainly understand why when someone has staked there career to a particular airline (like most of us) they want to try to dispell the negative foreboding.....both because even if it were true they don't want to confirm it, as well because they might be a little biased as to the potential situation they could be in.

Anyway, I see some things that make me concerned for their longevity, but I hope I am wrong--no malice at all to the company or the people who work there.

YVRflyer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by YVRflyer »

Ground crew pushed one of our aircraft into a fence when pushing from the gate and damaged the tail, which had to be repaired. That's why the YYZ flights got cancelled. As for the rumours, they are just not true. Fact is that Harmony has been offered in the last couple of months several business propositions from a domestic and a foreign company to more than double the airline fleet. Harmony was never setup to grow into a large airline, it was designed to be a full service niche/boutique airline with maximum 10-12 aircraft. Hawaii and China are the main focus. Although Harmony is a designated carrier for China, the Canadian Government is not willing (for more than 2 years) to give Harmony approval for the Chinese City pairings and frequencies. YYZ and JFK were intended to be feeder routes for the Asian market. As China seems to be not happening, routes were re-evaluated for the time being and the focus seems to be Hawaii with most capacity deployed on these routes.
Due to its unique financial situation and backing, Harmony will never go bankrupt as some of the airlines mentioned in previous posts here.

twotter
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by twotter »

From what I understand, the owner of Harmony and his father could buy both WestJet and Air Canada with their pocket change..

Stoptheworld
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Stoptheworld »

As for the rest of this stuff, Harmony is a small player that does a nice job. It really won't make much of a difference to WJ. But people see some unusual signs, and start wondering. Now that turns into a big conspiracy theory?
Air Mikisew, Peace Air and others were flying into YXD with 12 seats, the same as 2 rows of a '37. Small players doing a nice job. Westjet (through their designated hit man), did their damnedest to get YXD shut down or open to them.

Clive has repeatedly said, and quite correctly, how thin the margins are in this business. It would only stand to reason that any increase in yield or load, no matter how seamingly small or insignificant, would be welcome.

Again, to repeat a post I made on the same topic (different title) Westjet has shown that they are not above going a little extra further than just lowering price and adding capacity.
Ground crew pushed one of our aircraft into a fence when pushing from the gate and damaged the tail, which had to be repaired
I had heard that they had quite a few of these incidents when they started but managed to overcome these and continue on. Good for them!

Stop the World - I Wanna Get Off

the_professor
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by the_professor »

YVRflyer wrote:Although Harmony is a designated carrier for China, the Canadian Government is not willing (for more than 2 years) to give Harmony approval for the Chinese City pairings and frequencies.
Can someone refresh my memory as to why the government has any say in where airlines can and cannot fly? Is this capatilism, or ex-USSR with a centrally planned economy?

the_professor
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by the_professor »

twotter wrote:From what I understand, the owner of Harmony and his father could buy both WestJet and Air Canada with their pocket change..
Who is/are the owner(s)?

Kelowna Pilot
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Kelowna Pilot »

Due to its unique financial situation and backing, Harmony will never go bankrupt as some of the airlines mentioned in previous posts here.
Rule #1 in life and aviation: Never say never.

skydrolboy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by skydrolboy »

the_professor wrote:Who is/are the owner(s)?
Dr. David T.K. Ho is the owner of Harmony. Check the link below for some more info about his wealth. He is Heir to the Hong Kong Tobacco Company fortune (the 8th largest cigarette maker in the world). http://www.macleans.ca/topstories/busin ... 501_116501

Kelowna Pilot wrote:
True never say never, but If Harmony shut down I don't think it would be due to the airline going Bankrupt.

Ryan Coke2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ryan Coke2 »

[quote="Stoptheworld"]Again, to repeat a post I made on the same topic (different title) Westjet has shown that they are not above going a little extra further than just lowering price and adding capacity.
[/quote]

???

Want to back that up? Are you just referring to computergate, or do you have something else? I don't know what you are alluding to--WestJet is a difficult competitor (based on CASM, etc) but I have never seen any evidence that they have done anything to deliberately put another airline out of business. Or is this just one of those hanging accusations, with nothing but innuendo to back it up?

As for Harmony, I guess you could argue that it would never go bankrupt as it is independantly owned by a multi-billionaire. But if it isn't able to generate profits and eventually ceases operations, it could still end up without the airplanes.

What anybody says on here doesn't really matter, and good luck to the people at Harmony either way, but I take exception to the ridiculous accusations that because people in the industry wonder how another company is doing, that there is an evil scheme and joy in anothers struggles. If you are truly confident in your companies situation, then I have no idea why you would feel the need to try to smear the people and company that are wondering if there is anything to said rumours. At the end of the day, nothing that you, I, or anyone else says on here is going to make a stitch of difference to Harmony's future.

invertedattitude
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by invertedattitude »

skydrolboy wrote:
the_professor wrote:Who is/are the owner(s)?
Dr. David T.K. Ho is the owner of Harmony. Check the link below for some more info about his wealth. He is Heir to the Hong Kong Tobacco Company fortune (the 8th largest cigarette maker in the world). http://www.macleans.ca/topstories/busin ... 501_116501

Kelowna Pilot wrote:
True never say never, but If Harmony shut down I don't think it would be due to the airline going Bankrupt.
There's a lack of understanding here, the wealth of the owner means nothing to the airline as a business.

The airline can go bankrupt, it doesn't mean the owner/s are.

A good businessman runs a business as its own entity seperate of your own monetary funds.

Even good ol M.Leblanc left Jetsgo with 50 Mil in his bank account.

2low
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by 2low »

@#$! Harmony.

RB211
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by RB211 »

toolow_flaps wrote:@#$! Harmony.
Bitter about something? :? Or is this the most value you can add to a thread?

YVR Dude
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by YVR Dude »

Tsk, tsk, tsk...too-low

:oops:

Sounds like its personal...

2low
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by 2low »

Nah sorry folks......just drunk again. Take no offence. I just like pot stirring. Please carry on. Nothing to see here.

Btw....Merry Christmas

Return to “General Comments”