Long Landing Approved

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

4low
Rank 0
Rank 0

Long Landing Approved

Post by 4low »

Tower has cleared you to land and approved a long landing if you wish. Your preffered exit is 3/4 down the 10 000' runway. Do you:

a) Plan a normal approach for a point down the runway that will get you down and stopped in time;

b) Follow the VASI down to the runway and float 1 foot above the runway until your desired touch down point;

c) Touch down as per normal landing because you should always leave yourself as much runway as possible or;

d) Other
---------- ADS -----------

lost
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lost »

I think from a safety standpoint you always use all the runway, although I've landed down the runway many times. Just remember depending on what you fly it might be hard to explain how your perfectly serviceable a/c went off the end of a 10'000 foot strip.

newfycontrol
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by newfycontrol »

Id go with A

newfycontrol
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by newfycontrol »

Id go with A

bob sacamano
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by bob sacamano »

A - if the PIC feels safe to do so with the existing conditions.

:smt109
Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

I'm choosing A! I'd probably pick a spot that would allow for less brake application on the roll out! No point heating those puppies up when ya've got all that damned space!

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

d) other .... touch down on the numbers, before the VASI, on the right main only. Pause for a moment, then add power, pull and roll left 360 degrees and touch down only on the left main. Hold that for a moment, then roll right 360 degrees and touch down on both mains. As you taxi down the runway, keep the tail up in the air with forward stick, brakes and power as required. Taxi clear of the runway with the tail still up in the air.

Do I win a prize?

Jimmy Mack
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Jimmy Mack »

Hedley wrote:Do I win a prize?
Really, if you can do all that, what do you need a prize for?

JM

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

4low, why are you asking this question?

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
abc xyz
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by abc xyz »

i guess people never saw this thread awhile back

http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopi ... t=georgian

Just an average man doing heroes work
Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

I guess one wheel landings are a bit showy ... for me, a long runway isn't a problem, it's a gift, like a woman with large, firm, well-shaped breasts and a narrow waist and a heart-shaped tush that's smiling at me.

Thank you, whomever. Thank you very much!

Reminds me of a joke. A Frenchman, an American and a Canadian were asked to write an essay on the elephant. The Frenchman, naturally, wrote about the sex life of the elephant. The American's essay was titled, "The Elephant - for Fun and Profit!". Meanwhile, the Canadian write an essay entitled, "The Elephant - a Federal or Provincial Problem?"

tower controller
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tower controller »

The one thing I'd like to know is if you're planning anything other than A or B. If I approve a long landing I expect you to spend as less time tying up my runway. If you're going to touch down on the threshold then taxi up the remainder of the 10,000 ft runway I'd like to know just in case I've got somebody tight behind you.

jmho.....

Out of Control
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Out of Control »

A. My two bits.

Say again, your coming in stupid
CCnCoke
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CCnCoke »

I think it depends if the tower needs you off the runway or not. If you don't have a bus coming up your ass then I'd plan the normal approach and keep it about 5 feet off for as long as safely able for the simple reason that it's FUN and promotes your own awareness of how the a/c behaves in ground effect/slow flight. If on the other hand you have a bus behind you, ATC doesn't want you to waste time. Plan your approach to touch down as far down the runway as safely able while allowing for a quick exit off the landing surface.

asdfasd
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by asdfasd »

Dont care if the tower needs you off the runway, this is your career not theirs. Land normaly in the touch down area. Slow to a fast taxi, get off where insturcted to. If you're on aproach behind me and Im not off in time, to bad go around (of course I will try) and if Im behind you, Ill go around, servs me right for not slowing to space properly unless I was following ATC in which case I'll complain to ATC later.

killer84
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by killer84 »

KFCpilot wrote:Dont care if the tower needs you off the runway, this is your career not theirs. Land normaly in the touch down area. Slow to a fast taxi, get off where insturcted to. If you're on aproach behind me and Im not off in time, to bad go around (of course I will try) and if Im behind you, Ill go around, servs me right for not slowing to space properly unless I was following ATC in which case I'll complain to ATC later.
And if you don't like helping out ATC, then they sure as hell won't help you out.

ATC doesn't want you off at the end, they're giving it to you because it gets you the exit that's closest to where you're headed. If you plant it in the touchdown area, and then taxi the rest of the way down a 10,000 foot runway, I can guarantee that you'll be exiting well before the end.

4low
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by 4low »

If we were empty, we used to float down the runway in ground effect until a point where we could touch down and then roll off at our desired exit with little or no braking. Just because it is fun to see how close you can get without touching.

If we had people on, we would do A.

Earlier this year, company put out a memo that says we MUST plan to touch down on the 1000' markers or before. All because they let a guy go captain with 50 hours on type and he ran one off a long runway with no abnormalities in the systems.

Just because a guy has 2500 hours doesn't mean he can make captain decisions. Instructing for 2400 hours doesn't help you make decisions. Weather below 2000' and 3 miles. Not going. Engine fails? Assume the glide. Student sucks. Don't send him solo. Not much in the department of thinking ahead.

Now i'm going to stop ranting.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Interesting reading these discussions.

The person who started this fiasco forgot to mention what kind of aircraft he/she was flying.

If it was a Cessna 172 you have lots of leeway on a ten thousand foot runway as to where you touch down.

If it was a transport catagory Jet landing heavy you have less leeway as to how far down the runway you can safely touch down.

KFC pilot what type of airplane was your answer based on?

Cat

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
bob sacamano
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by bob sacamano »

4low wrote:Instructing for 2400 hours doesn't help you make decisions. Weather below 2000' and 3 miles. Not going. Engine fails? Assume the glide. Student sucks. Don't send him solo. Not much in the department of thinking ahead.

Now i'm going to stop ranting.
I wish you never started your ranting in the first place.

You coulda ended your post with the story before ranting about instructors and some members mighta thought you weren't a total moron.

:smt109
jetboy1975
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by jetboy1975 »

From another atc stand point, A is nice or even the fast low air taxi to touchdown just prior to exit (light a/c). Just don't be the idiot who gets approved for the long landing and puts it down on the numbers and crawls to the end. (especially when there is traffic behind you)

In addition, you do not need to ask for a long landing. If you have been cleared to land, the WHOLE runway is yours! but be concientious of other traffic. ATC will tell you if they need you off at a specified point.

Return to “General Comments”