1900 non-2 crew?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

wha happen
Rank 8
Rank 8

1900 non-2 crew?

Post by wha happen »

I heard a rumour that 1900's are not required to be run two crew in a cargo configuration... any truth to this or is it just a state side rule?
---------- ADS -----------

Its the way she goes boys, its the way she goes.

Lets sacrifice him to the crops.
It's the Pitts
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by It's the Pitts »

In the U.S of A. the 1900 is certified single pilot ( all models)
How ever in Cananda the 1900 B and C model are not, only the D.
TC has a list of all the aircraft types and the crew requirements, that might help you out.

You got the Nod for the Sod
Ralliart
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Ralliart »

There are numerous operators in the US and A who operate single pilot 1900 cargo operations.

AEROMONKEY
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by AEROMONKEY »

We get 1900 c's and d's passing through coming from wichita heading overseas , they fly single pilot regularly.

redbeard
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by redbeard »

actually the D model can be flown single pilot and a few operators do run them that way on occaision

. .
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by . . »

redbeard wrote:actually the D model can be flown single pilot and a few operators do run them that way on occaision
TC lists A BE02 (beech 1900*) as two a minmum of two crew.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/Regse ... t42102.htm

I'm not sure how you'd manage to sneak around that one?

I also found this which very clearly states that the 1900 is two crew in canada.

Note 2: Canada designates the Beech 1900 Commuter as a minimum flight crew of 2. The FAA designates the same aeroplane as a minimum flight crew of 1.
http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/gener ... el/cop.htm

FL30
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by FL30 »

run it 604

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

How would 604 change the type certificate?

fogghorn
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by fogghorn »

ahramin wrote:How would 604 change the type certificate?
1900 operators in Canada can operate single crew for ferry flights and I suppose a private operator could - but no one privately operates a 1900, so ferry flights - that's it.

You will never live long enough to know it all, so quit being anal about it..
veloz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by veloz »

The 1900C in canada is a two crew a/c in any type of operation(604). a 1900D on the other hand can be operated single pilot if < 9 pax.

FL30
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by FL30 »

corpac in yyc i believe runs it SP

Kelowna Pilot
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Kelowna Pilot »

I could never figure this out...

A B1900 is probably a lot more difficult to fly and "labor intensive" than a highly automated Airbus.

Yet you can fly the 1900 solo but you can't the airbus.

Is it just because you have a lot of pax in the back that the airbus must be flown with two pilots?

Greg87
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Greg87 »

It doesn't seem to allways make sense in regards to one or two crew. A friend of mine flys a Beech 18 (at a museum) and told me that the Beech 18 can actually be flown single pilot. I don't know a whole lot about how labour intensive different planes are to fly, but I have been told that the Expeditor is a tricky plane to fly. Of course I could be totaly wrong and I appologize if I am.

. .
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by . . »

bushguy wrote:corpac in yyc i believe runs it SP
I thought corpac only had saab's and jetstreams?

. .
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by . . »

veloz wrote:The 1900C in canada is a two crew a/c in any type of operation(604). a 1900D on the other hand can be operated single pilot if < 9 pax.
Where do you get this from? The 1900 can be operated under 703 rules if you have under 9 pax, but where is it written that you can fly single pilot? I pasted the link where TC very clearly states that it's a two crew plane.

Pratt
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pratt »

Greg87 wrote:It doesn't seem to allways make sense in regards to one or two crew. A friend of mine flys a Beech 18 (at a museum) and told me that the Beech 18 can actually be flown single pilot. I don't know a whole lot about how labour intensive different planes are to fly, but I have been told that the Expeditor is a tricky plane to fly. Of course I could be totaly wrong and I appologize if I am.
The Beech 18 is abit different than the B-1900, it has been flown single pilot for a long time, do any float operators that fly them with 2 crew?

veloz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by veloz »

Where do you get this from? The 1900 can be operated under 703 rules if you have under 9 pax, but where is it written that you can fly single pilot? I pasted the link where TC very clearly states that it's a two crew plane.
In canada you can operate the 1900D single pilot under 604,

. .
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by . . »

Do you have a link or anything to back that up? What I pasted directly refutes what you're saying. Operating under 604 wouldn't bypass a type certificate as far as I understand.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

endless wrote:
bushguy wrote:corpac in yyc i believe runs it SP
I thought corpac only had saab's and jetstreams?
No Corpac doesn't operate any 1900's.

I know Pentastar ferries their 1900 single pilot from time to time, but I've never heard of them doing it with pax.

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

I think the problem all stems from the way the B1900 is certified.
In my opinion, the 1900 B & C must be certified to USA FAR 23 sFAR 41C standards whereby the 1900D is certified to USA FAR 23 Commuter Category. If someone has a 1900 manual, check it out.
USA FAR 23 sFAR 41 was for US domestic use only so Canada and the rest of the world did not know how to handle this airplane which was a FAR 23 small airplane but was not a Normal Category airplane because it is allowed to be operated in excess of 12,550 lbs. or with up to19 passengers.
So ICAO came up with Annex 8 requirements and I am not sure wheather the two crew came from there or it was a TC thingee. Once sFAR ran it's course, (expired in 1990) FAR 23 CC was developed. About this time, TC introduced the CARS and they were harmonized with the FAR's so USA FAR 23 CC became CARS 523 CC and it will allow single pilot operations because the airplane is certified to a category TC can recognise, meaning it follows ICAO standards, which is recognised worldwide. .
One "policy" TC has appeared to adopt is to pass laws that will be a bit restrictive but allow Air Carriers to apply and be granted Operations Specifications that will provide relief from the restrictive laws, One section will allow single pilot operations under the rules and/or restrictions contained in the OPS Spec.
It is like an ILS. Anyone with an Instrument Rating in a properly equipped airplane can shoot an ILS to Cat 1 limits but if air carriers have specially equipped airplanes, properly trained aircrew and properly equipped airports, they can be authorized to operate to lower limits, such as ILS CAT 11, CAT 111 or RNP.
This is my opinion. The Beech 350, CARS 23 CC, can be operated as a single-pilot airplane but the requirements in Canada are more restrictive than the cost of a warm body in the right seat. The Beech 1900 is certified to the same category. Any airplane operate single pilot will be restricted to 9 paying passengers or less and be operated at 25,000 ft or less. The same thing happens to a Metro 11, Metro 111 and Metro 23.
Does anybody have anything else to add?

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

Return to “General Comments”