Ontario Restricting CPL instruction

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

bbb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Ontario Restricting CPL instruction

Post by bbb »

The Ontario Gov, with no resistance from Transport Canada, is proceeding with its policy of including Flight Training Units in its Private Career College act. BC already has something similar in place. In Ontario it means that even though an FTU is Federally regulated and mandated (things such as employment standards, health and safety etc all fall under federal juristiction), the Ontario goverment is forcing any FTU that teaches CPL and Instructor Ratings (and possibly Instrument Ratings) to abide by the onerous Private Career College act. It will cost the average FTU over $10,000 to enrol, and thousands per year to continue. For students this will mean only the largest schools will continue to offer CPL or Instructor ratings. Interestingly, the aviation colleges are excempt. However, the schools that provide the flight training for college or university programs, and aren't an integral part of sad college or university will have to comply. So, lots of good schools and instructors will no longer being doing commercial training. Students are going to have far fewer choices, and will experience higher training costs. Instructors will have fewer employment opportunities, especially those leading to multi time. All this to "protect" the consumer, where most non-college schools only utilize a pay-as-you-go system???!!!! :roll:
---------- ADS -----------

"oh, I have slipped.." into what, we're not sure
Miss Mae
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Ontario Restricting CPL instruction

Post by Miss Mae »

bbb wrote:The Ontario Gov, with no resistance from Transport Canada, is proceeding with its policy of including Flight Training Units in its Private Career College act. BC already has something similar in place. In Ontario it means that even though an FTU is Federally regulated and mandated (things such as employment standards, health and safety etc all fall under federal juristiction), the Ontario goverment is forcing any FTU that teaches CPL and Instructor Ratings (and possibly Instrument Ratings) to abide by the onerous Private Career College act. It will cost the average FTU over $10,000 to enrol, and thousands per year to continue. For students this will mean only the largest schools will continue to offer CPL or Instructor ratings. Interestingly, the aviation colleges are excempt. However, the schools that provide the flight training for college or university programs, and aren't an integral part of sad college or university will have to comply. So, lots of good schools and instructors will no longer being doing commercial training. Students are going to have far fewer choices, and will experience higher training costs. Instructors will have fewer employment opportunities, especially those leading to multi time. All this to "protect" the consumer, where most non-college schools only utilize a pay-as-you-go system???!!!! :roll:
It's going to make it next to impossible for the small schools to be able to continue to offer vocational training. There were alot of very angry people at the PCCA "info session"

bobcat18
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bobcat18 »

If it is anything like Alberta it only affects your provincial status for programs like OSAP. You can offer the training and remain in the Canada Student Loan program and stay out of the provincial scheme. The only problem is the provinical loans are usually the one that get forgiven.
Fee Payers as our system calls the pay as you go students don't fall inside the PVS system and we don't need a licence to train them.
We have been licenced under PVS for many years now and other than some reporting features and having to post a bond to ensure students get some money back if we go under it hasn't changed the way we operate all that much.
Hope things turn out okay in ON. but I only see the extra regulation getting worse as TC harmonizes with the EU.

Miss Mae
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Miss Mae »

bobcat18 wrote:If it is anything like Alberta it only affects your provincial status for programs like OSAP. You can offer the training and remain in the Canada Student Loan program and stay out of the provincial scheme
No this new legislation covers all flight training units.

Krashman
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Krashman »

This is very unfortunate for these smaller schools..... but (I hate to be the devils advocate here) I've got a student doing commercial training with me and he came from a smaller school in Ontario that has now since closed its doors.... He has no way of having some of his hours signed off by a representative of the school. The larger schools... who can afford this type of fee have some sort of stability in the industry where some.... not all.... of the smaller FTU live from month to month and may have to close the doors with very short notice..... Leaving the customer out in the cold

I don't agree with it... but I can see where the bureocrats get off

Having trouble reaching ATC? Squak 7500
Chemtech
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chemtech »

This has been put in place to help students if, when they put money down and the school closes they are not screwed with repaying the loan. The thing is MOST smaller schools dont take money up from so the student isnt in danger of losing all their money. Now thses new fees will be passed down to the student. So on top of the aircraft and the instructor they have to pay this retarded fee to help other students in case their school closes. Aviation is federally regualted, provincial governments should keep their nose out of the industry.

peeelot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by peeelot »

Well.......... Once again These guys are trying to take another Job away from me. This government has already cost me one Job and now they are working hardto make sure I dont have a job at all.

The sad thing is that the school I work at now NOT one of us will be able to teach commercial students. I guess the Government dosen't think we are capable. We dont meet there standards that they say industry will approve. Well first they didnt research anything and those standards they set were put together with very little industry input.

But we can fight back. We can do the same to them. HOW? In Oct there will be an election and we can send the same messege to them "They are not capable of running Ontario". We will find new MPP's to replace them all. Do the same as they are doing to us put them all out of work.

Miss Mae
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Miss Mae »

peeelot wrote:Well.......... Once again These guys are trying to take another Job away from me. This government has already cost me one Job and now they are working hardto make sure I dont have a job at all.

The sad thing is that the school I work at now NOT one of us will be able to teach commercial students. I guess the Government dosen't think we are capable. We dont meet there standards that they say industry will approve. Well first they didnt research anything and those standards they set were put together with very little industry input.
They have made amendments to the act stating that as long as you have an instructor rating you can teach.

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

Hey Miss Mae, you sure do like that "quote" feature! And you can quote me on that!
Wonder why we all can't respond without a complete quote? Oh well.

Miss Mae
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Miss Mae »

I love the quote feature Doc!! :lol:

and I've noticed you love to make posts that have nothing to do with the thread :smt064 :roll:

KLFC-1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by KLFC-1 »

Miss Mae wrote:They have made amendments to the act stating that as long as you have an instructor rating you can teach.
They have not yet made any concession on ground school instructors. So, as it stands, you need an instructor rating, or be qualified as described in the Act.

Pete
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Pete »

Does anyone have any articles on this? I couldn't find any. Interesting read...if its for real. So when is this supposed to go through, and what types of schools should this affect? The 1 to 2 airplane/odd commercial student type FTU?

Miss Mae
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Miss Mae »

Unfoutunatley Pete....the law has already been passed. All flight schools that teach vocational training (CPL, instructor ratings) regardless of size have until Sept 18/07 to register.

Here is the link
http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/general/factsheet1.pdf

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

How does this affect students of freelance instructors?

She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!
Pilot_adam
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Pilot_adam »

Will that mean students for CPL will be able to get OSAP to cover their training costs ?? if the answer is yes then that might just make it easier for a lot of students ho struggle to pay for their CPL training and schools will simply get more business !!!!

But did the government consider that flight schools in Ontario are paralized most of the winter season due to weather ??!!! It would not be fare to charge them like other Private career colleges.

Cheers
Adam

Stinky
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Stinky »

It sounds like it will prevent a lot of people from becomming commercial pilots. I started flying later in life while I had a mortgage. The only way I could have gotten a commercial was to train part time at a small school while I worked full time. I'm now flying for Jazz. You would think due to this impending pilot shortage they would try to make it easier for people to pursue the career.

cyyz
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by cyyz »

Miss Mae wrote:No this new legislation covers all flight training units.
So no province will be able to offer CPL training?

Pete
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Pete »

Exactly, you'd think they'd make it easier. During my time building for my commercial, I took a liking to the smaller flight schools...all around nicer environment to train in. This cant affect schools who offer MIFR, PPL, CPL can it? I was thinking small schools who do PPL, CPL with a plane or two at most who wont really take to this.

I am only asking because there are a couple great flight schools who are medium sized with respect to fleet and staff, which would be a shame to see not train CPL...when you have massive schools in TO full of top guns who train because they can afford that...I dont know, just rambling, what a dumb rule.

Miss Mae
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Miss Mae »

I attended the information seminar on the PCCA (Private career colleges act)

I myself work in the management department of a small school, and this new law affects all flights schools in Ontario that offer the CPL and instructor ratings. It's going to mean hard times ahead for some of our operations.

Return to “General Comments”