Airline Pilot Haters

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

pika
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pika »

Amen to that. Be happy what you are doing.
---------- ADS -----------

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

wingtip wrote:Airline flying is easy. The masses they hire have the full range of skills, some good, some bad, yet they all survive.

Sorry Complex, but having BTDT, you are in left field. Either that or you truely don't understand how others make their living.

The difficulties in todays airlines are living on the salaries and the constant threat of boredom.
lol ahhh...truly you are world-weary and wise! Thanks for knowing more about my experiences, my career history, and my life apparently, than I do! If it's so easy, like I said guess I'm just a little slower than the rest! :wink: I'm glad I still find planning to dodge typhoon weather, volcanic ash plumes, and considering for 207 minute ETOPS still to be challenging...I hate to be bored!

lol I would LOVE to hear what experience you have that qualifies your "airline flying is easy" or "BTDT", so that I could figure out where my lackings are!

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ....... »

shimmydampner, I wholehartedly agree with you on this except for this part:

shimmydampner wrote: as you go more towards the airline end of the aviation spectrum the skill sets required tend more towards effective systems management rather than the bush end of the spectrum where the skill sets required tend more towards the hands and feet and common sense.

Why would common sense, and hands and feet be left out of the airline equation more than in bush flying? It's as if to say that company S.O.P.s are to be followed to death... It does cover a lot of situations but you and I both know that not everything is written in the book.

Also, hands and feet (and head)still make, to my knowledge at least, a better approach and landing than automation, but hey, I haven't flown the 777 or 330 yet. I'm still part of the ol' 1011/310 club. :wink:

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

" Amen to that. Be happy what you are doing. "
I'm happier than a pig in the mud, I finally figured out how to paint with my new HVLP painting outfit.

Did the primer coat on CRI CRI wings and fuselege today and it looks real good.....

....now if I can do the final coat and trim I'll be even happier.

HVLP is quite different and there is very little over spray so I don't end up painting everything in the neighbourhood. :mrgreen:

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

SkyLounger wrote:shimmydampner, I wholehartedly agree with you on this except for this part:

shimmydampner wrote: as you go more towards the airline end of the aviation spectrum the skill sets required tend more towards effective systems management rather than the bush end of the spectrum where the skill sets required tend more towards the hands and feet and common sense.

Why would common sense, and hands and feet be left out of the airline equation more than in bush flying? It's as if to say that company S.O.P.s are to be followed to death... It does cover a lot of situations but you and I both know that not everything is written in the book.

Also, hands and feet (and head)still make, to my knowledge at least, a better approach and landing than automation, but hey, I haven't flown the 777 or 330 yet. I'm still part of the ol' 1011/310 club. :wink:
I didn't mean to imply that common sense, and hands and feet skills are left completely out of the equation, merely that airline machines are automated with the intention of providing a layer of insulation against human error. There are multiple systems in place to replace direct inputs and actions by pilots whereas when a guy jumps in his 185 there is no layers between him and full and complete control of everything. And no SOPs etc etc. Hands and feet and common sense are the only things that pilot has to work with as there are no systems designed to make his life easier. The point I was trying to make was merely that on a comparative scale, those things play a larger role on a significantly less advanced machine.

RB211
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by RB211 »

shimmydampner wrote:***THIS JUST IN: Frontside is now the one to beat for the best post of 2007 award.***

Every avenue of aviation has it's own unique set of challenges that must be met with an equally unique skill set. Instructors, medevac pilots, float drivers, bush drivers in general, regional and airline guys all face challenges in their day to day jobs. None face exactly the same challenges and not all of these challenges appeal to everyone. ... I don't think too many airline pilots could jump in my plane and do my job, just as I don't think I could jump in their plane and do their job.
I still like my job better though. :wink:
This thread could have ended 2 pages ago with this post.

frontside_air
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by frontside_air »

indeed. you don't see doctors and paramedics slagging eachother

Nightflight
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Nightflight »

Hey frontside,

Judging by your happy demeanour I'm guessing that congrats are in order. Well congrats buddy! We'll have to grab a pint soon. Cheers!!!

Great post BTW!

frontside_air
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by frontside_air »

tx dude. AZ tuesday, put the word out!

FlyingFiremenC/PGSon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FlyingFiremenC/PGSon »

What is really funny is the fact that the people posting here think that aviation jobs are any harder than ANY other job out there. Let's not forget that all the bravado and dickmeasuring occurs in every profession and there is nothing original about about the attitudes of people who believe they are holier than though. Whether with the airlines or a fishing camp there are always the guys that are trying to make up for the 2 inch pecker beteen their legs with bluff and bluster.... get over it and listen to what people have to say about their own experience then move on.

jjj
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jjj »

So WTF.....

Been hearing a lot of judgment flinging about the suitability of a Seneca grad jumping into the seat of a Dash at JAZZ.

Don't actually know if this is rumor or actually happening - don't care.

However, if it's true - what of it. Jazz has the right to run it's flight department the way they see fit. Why do pilots with more time than a Seneca grad feel they are more entitled to the job. Jazz can make whatever rules they want for their ops - just like every other airline.

Some airlines have required University degrees in the past and you sure as hell don't need one to fly an airliner. So why get bent.

Some airlines require that you know how many stators are on a RB211 and you don't need to know that to fly the big tin. So why get bent.

Some operators don't hire girls some operators prefer old dogs and so on and so on......

Sorry if you don't like it - shut the @#$! up and start your own flight department and run it your way.

Get off your ass and get a job and stop whining about people that have an unfair advantage in your eyes. You are not the arbiter of what is right and wrong.

These are bountiful times and movement in the industry is exceeding most peoples predictions.

Like I said - shut the @#$! up - you know who you are.

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

Do you eat with that mouth?

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

Sounds like someone is a Seneca grad in the runnings for the big job. 8)
Oh and by the way, calm down. You're making a fool of yourself.

Nightflight
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Nightflight »

frontside_air wrote:tx dude. AZ tuesday, put the word out!
I'll bring my ICAO chart rule! :wink:

Return to “General Comments”