Elmer Ruddick Passes Away

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

northernpedlar
Rank 0
Rank 0

Elmer Ruddick Passes Away

Post by northernpedlar »

RUDDICK, Robert Elmer
2007-02-26

The family announces with sorrow his death at Nakina, Ontario on Thursday, February 22, 2007 at the age of 88 years. Beloved husband of Lillian Ruddick and dearest father of: Joan Higgins (Clifton), Judy Ruddick (the late Bob Ruddick), James Ruddick (Dianne) and Kendra Scharb (Ron). He is survived by his sister: Doreen Wallace (Keith) of Bolton, Ontario. He will be sadly missed by 10 grandchildren: Jeff & Doreen Longworth, Clif & Jodi Higgins, Bob Jr. & Louise Ruddick, Kevin Ruddick, Mark Ruddick, Scott Ruddick, Melanie Ruddick, Louie Nadon & Teresa, Michael Nadon and Kristine Nadon & Danny; and 6 great-grandchildren: Mandy & Katie Higgins, Jerret & Jenna Longworth, Ashley Ruddick and Mya Nadon. Predeceased by son Robert (Bob) Ruddick and brother Stewart Ruddick. Elmer was born in Acton, Ontario in 1918. He became a bush pilot and came to work for Austin Airways in Nakina 65 years ago. He met Lillian Quirt and spent the last 63 years of his life in Nakina where they raised their four children. Elmer was a very dedicated hard working individual and had a great love of planes. In 1998 Nakina honoured Elmer by naming the airport R. Elmer Ruddick Airport. Once he retired from flying, Elmer enjoyed the art of wood working and made many special items for his children, grandchildren and friends. His last few years have been devoted to caring for and supporting his wife. Friends will be received at the Nakina Community Complex on Tuesday, February 26, 2007 from 11:30am to 12:30pm. The funeral ceremony will be held at the Nakina Community Complex on Tuesday, February 26, 2007 at 12:30pm with The Rev. Hal Graham officiating. The interment will be held at Hillcrest Cemetery (Nakina). Donations to the Nakina Medical Clinic would be appreciated. [/i]

Everyone who worked in Nakina during the 90's and early parts of 2000 will remember the visits by Elmer and Lil and the cream pastries and muffins that Lil always dropped off
---------- ADS -----------

stef
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by stef »

I surely do remember those visits. Also remember having Elmer on board just a couple of years ago. He had some interesting stories of the way things used to be for sure. I won't forget him.

Best wishes to all in Nakina.

Stef

Willis Nigh
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Willis Nigh »

I'll miss our chats in the pop and chip aisle at the Northern store. I can't even imagine the challenges you faced as a pilot in Nakina 65 years ago. He was a true Canadian pioneer.

Bill Thompson
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Elmer Ruddick Passes Away

Post by Bill Thompson »

Hello Everyone,
My name is Bill Thompson and I'm a writer from Kitchener, Ontario.
I've been researching bush pilots around Nakina, Ontario. One notable bush pilot was Elmer Ruddick who was honoured by the town of Nakina when they named their airport after him. Unfortunately, I can't find much about Ruddick, except for the information in his obituary. If anyone has any contacts or could help in any way, I would really appreciate it.

Sincerely,
Bill Thompson
22-647-2807
billoutdoors1@gmail.com

EPR
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by EPR »

I did not know this gentleman, but his career speaks for itself, a true pioneer...Rest In Piece Elmer!

Keep the dirty side down.
Rudy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rudy »

Bill you might try contacting Nakina Air Service and asking for Millie Bourdignon. If she doesn't have the information you're after she would know who you can speak to. She's the busiest person I've ever met though so ask when would be a good time for her to talk.

Return to “General Comments”