TC sends Collection Agency after me

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

xsbank, why not open the letter and piss in the envelope then put the letter back in it and reseal it with scotch tape .

Put it in a waterproof envelope seal and mail it registered letter to the DGCA addressed as personal and confidential?

Cat
---------- ADS -----------

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
costermonger
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by costermonger »

For what it's worth, I got the same letter today.

rule911
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rule911 »

I got a call a few days ago from the collection agency. I went and found my bill, my credit card transaction saying I paid it, and finally the reply from Transport Canada that my accound was paid in full. I called TC with this information. I was given a big 'sorry' and a promiss that my credit collections would be reversed... They have not called to confirm this so I will be calling again shortly...

I did not realise I was not a unique case.

Cheers and good luck!

TC Guy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TC Guy »

Wow... just... wow.
Cat Driver wrote:Much appreciated TC Guy makes it easier to take when you see it in such sterile no nonsense language.
That was not my language. That was a quote.
Cat Driver wrote:I wonder what the comradeship between you and us will be like as time moves on and we are forced to pay more for all these services with the attitude that TC just has the right to impose them?
I have no idea, and have no control over what pilots pay in medical fees. I appologize.
Cat Driver wrote:I guess each of us are still free to work where we choose and be who we choose TC Guy at least there is still that amount of freedom left.

I truly never dreamed I would live to see the day that the rift between the industry and those who are supposed to regulate us would start to become this wide.....

...and I am not alone feeling this frustration TC Guy.
Cat, you have made it your mission to do just that. You have done everything you could possibly do to make that rift as large as possible in almost every post you have ever made. I have tried to do everything I can to repair it.
Cat Driver wrote:Once again thank God I am out of it and lived and flew in a far better era.

Got a little question for you TC Guy and I ask it in all sincerity.

I had no need for a medical since I quit flying in Europe last April ( by the way one of my medicals was done in Amsterdam anf TC still charged me the fee) so I did not get my regular 6 month medical for my ATPL.

I think my license goes to a private for the next 18 months after my due date.

However I just may decide to say fu.ck it and let it all lapse.

Would that be considered a victory for TC?
I have no idea. I don't know. I was just the guy dumb enough to post here as TC. And, I regret it.
Cat Driver wrote:The way I see it I can just rent my homebuilt Cub to a licensed pilot and ride along as a paid consultant.

Do you think TC can stop me?
I have no idea. I don't know. I was just the guy dumb enough to post here as TC. And, I regret it.

Let me tell you why I posted on this subject, against my better judgement, BTW.

I was asked in private mail to please comment here on why this was the way it was. I thought that was pretty cool... "Please comment"... Okay, I can give people the information that they need. This is not secret stuff. This is what I can do.

The brownshirt comment was... a response. A bad one, and I appologize. However, I do believe that compairing the Transport Canada to the the Nazis is a bit of a stretch.

And Cat... I am here trying to trying to post here any information (that is posted, and public) that would help my clients.

I will tell you what, my friend... although no one in TC knows who "TC Guy" actually is (that I am aware) many of the people I work with think I should lose my job for posting here.

My original reason for being the "TC Guy" was to try and balance what some considered fact and fiction. I hoped to be a positive influance on the community, and give information when needed. That is my only reason for being here.

I have no other identity here.

I think in many ways, I have succeeded. I hope so. I have put a fair amount of time into it.

Although you may not know who I am... I will always give a shit. The next time do a flight test, it could be "TC Guy".

-TC Guy

Last edited by TC Guy on Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
TC Guy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TC Guy »

rule911 wrote:I got a call a few days ago from the collection agency. I went and found my bill, my credit card transaction saying I paid it, and finally the reply from Transport Canada that my accound was paid in full. I called TC with this information. I was given a big 'sorry' and a promiss that my credit collections would be reversed... They have not called to confirm this so I will be calling again shortly...

Cheers and good luck!
If you have any issues with this, please PM me.

-Guy

twotter
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by twotter »

TC Guy wrote:
rule911 wrote:I got a call a few days ago from the collection agency. I went and found my bill, my credit card transaction saying I paid it, and finally the reply from Transport Canada that my accound was paid in full. I called TC with this information. I was given a big 'sorry' and a promiss that my credit collections would be reversed... They have not called to confirm this so I will be calling again shortly...

Cheers and good luck!
If you have any issues with this, please PM me.

-Guy
I had a similar situation a few years ago when I got my first letter saying I hadn't paid. I called and told them that I had my credit card statement in front of me saying I had. I was told they would look into it and later got a call from a fellow saying that no, in fact, I had not paid it. I tried to explain that I had my statement that showed I had but was informed that I was wrong and had to pay it. That's when I decided they could shove it. I've called since and never got satisfaction so I've never paid the fee since. I guess I'll be getting a letter soon.

BTW TC guy, don't take it personally, your input here is greatly appreciated by myself and I'm sure many more. Nobody is taking a shot at you when they bitch about your employer. Keep up the good work, and I hope some day you will do a ride for me!!

flyincanuck
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by flyincanuck »

TC Guy wrote:
flyincanuck wrote:TC guy, would appreciate your input too.
Hmmm... I remember hearing something about them doing this a while back. I also remember thinking to myself "Great. Something else for people to yell at me for." (That was a joke... sort of).

Here is the "official" e-mail information that we received to pass out to people that enquire:

-Guy
Ok, thanks TC guy - I just wanted to know if:

a) the letter I received was legit, and
b) whether others are in the same pool

You've answered both questions honestly (as expected) and professionally.

Cheers

Crazymax
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Crazymax »

Didn't pay mine yet this year (expect it on the taxes) and didn't receive the letter. I don't see why send the collection agency at you for 55$ when you pay it on your taxes every year...

Max

Raybanman
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Raybanman »

Didn't pay mine yet this year (expect it on the taxes) and didn't receive the letter. I don't see why send the collection agency at you for 55$ when you pay it on your taxes every year...
That is what I figure. I've always paid it, whats the deal with sending it to a collection agency? What is this $55 used to pay for anyways? I had thought that it origonally was to help pay for the A.I.P. ? I don't get an A.I.P/A.I.M. in the mail from them anymore, I have to order and pay extra for it (and I don't even get a cool binder!! :>) I realize that it may be an admin fee, but what the heck am I paying %37 of my income to the government for if not to pay for the people who work there's wages. (not like they see my $55 either...)

Thank you BTW TCGuy for answering.

Cheers,
PP

Some people are like slinkies: Not much good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
bornagain1340
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bornagain1340 »

"The Letter" just showed up in my mailbox yesterday...it's horseshit.
I remember when TC first came up with that gem it was called the "Recurring Pilot Fee," but it quickly changed. I imagine a flood of angry letters asking why do I have to pay even more to be a pilot?
Normally I just let the income tax return method take care of it...but now do I have to worry about not being able to get a mortgage because of $55??? Or is Guido going to show up at my door with a baseball bat asking for it?
Do school bus drivers have to put up with this kind of BS?
No wonder I'm losing my motivation to continue this career.
I need a beer...

CD
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: TC sends Collection Agency after me

Post by CD »

flyincanuck wrote:So...is this a new thing?
It doesn't look like it is new but it is difficult to determine for sure:

Disclosure of Contracts
Equifax Canada - 2004/5/26 to 2005/3/31
CollectCorp Inc. - 2006/12/7 to 2007/12/7
The Technical Committee was informed that there has been some difficulty with respect to fee collection. Apparently some CAMEs are refusing to collect fees, particularly overpayments and underpayments due to the administrative burden it is placing on them. Suggestions made to alleviate this burden included using Revenue Canada as a collection agency and getting the fees into the banking system. The Technical Committee was informed by the Chairman that a new fee system is being implemented in January 1998. The issue of fees will be discussed at the next Plenary meeting.
Personnel Licensing and Training Technical Committee (Part IV) - October 29, 1997

Last edited by CD on Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

TC Guy wrote:

I do believe comparing TC to the Nazi's is a bit of a stretch

Darn rights it is...the Nazis did some good

TC G. You sound frustrated this morning. Have a cup of coffee.

It seems from your posting that this is not completely a TC thing, though that was not completely clear. Are there other govenment departments involved?

And secondly, do you know exactly where this decision came from.

Here is a suggestion, particularily for those who were contacted by a collection agency and did not owe the money. Email your MP. Explain the situation with the collection agency. Dont go into rants about double taxation, but rather explain the costs we are paying for medicals, exactly what TC does for it etc. If enough MP's get enough letters it wil make a change.

The federal government has gone this route before. It is the last ditch effort in a tax revolt. And to that I say God bless all you who dont pay it.
It looks like it is having an effect.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

edited due to flying fingers.

Last edited by trey kule on Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Something, a little off topic, but TCG you mentioned that some people at TC thought you should be fired for posting here.

Why would that be? I have never seen anything you post here to do any detriment to TC. So what, in your opinion, would be the problem?

Last edited by trey kule on Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

TC Guy:

You are going way off the rails by taking my comments as a personal attack.

Even Twotter was quick to point this out.
" BTW TC guy, don't take it personally, your input here is greatly appreciated by myself and I'm sure many more. Nobody is taking a shot at you when they bitch about your employer. "
The nazi comment was in response to others expressing their feelings about the policies of Government.....if you feel you are in agreement with these policies then I guess that is your perogative.
" Cat Driver wrote:
I guess each of us are still free to work where we choose and be who we choose TC Guy at least there is still that amount of freedom left.

I truly never dreamed I would live to see the day that the rift between the industry and those who are supposed to regulate us would start to become this wide.....

...and I am not alone feeling this frustration TC Guy.

Cat, you have made it your mission to do just that. You have done everything you could possibly do to make that rift as large as possible in almost every post you have ever made. I have tried to do everything I can to repair it.
You are correct there TC Guy, I will never accept the immoral self serving culture that exists at the top of TCCA, I have every intention of clearly and truthfully exposing how TC works in their upper levels of management, it is to be expected that at the level of the industry where people are just trying to struggle along from day to day there would not be much opportunity to have to deal directly with the poeple who manage TC.

But you can bet there are legions of small company owners who feel exactly like I do.

The real truth can be better understood by the mutual fear that is evident by those who have their businesses and assets at risk if they try to stand up to the corrupt culture at the top of TCCA.

Look at your own situation.
I will tell you what, my friend... although no one in TC knows who "TC Guy" actually is (that I am aware) many of the people I work with think I should lose my job for posting here.
That comment just about confirms everything I am trying to explain.

Why would any person living in a so called Democracy lose their job for posting on Avcanada in an attempt to help their clients out?

As long as you are being truthful and helpful your employer should commend your extra efforts to help your clients....not have you hiding in fear of losing your job.

Unless of course your employer looks on us as some lower form of human garbage who are mere " things " and not human beings.

So that is my position TC Guy, if you want my admiration all you need do is keep helping people even if you are at risk from your employer.

And one more thing, I have every intent to teach flying without TC's blessing.

I was prevented from doing it legally, So now I will do it any way I have to and in the end we shall see what transpires I am willing to go to jail if necessary.

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

delete

Last edited by Cat Driver on Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Delete

TC Guy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TC Guy »

trey kule wrote:Something, a little off topic, but TCG you mentioned that some people at TC thought you should be fired for posting here.

Why would that be? I have never seen anything you post here to do any detriment to TC. So what, in your opinion, would be the problem?
Interesting question.

TC Guy is much higher profile in the department than I would ever have guessed.

I have heard that comment more than once.

I don't know why, honestly. I think TC Guy is okay.

-Guy

Chop&Drop
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Chop&Drop »

I also got the letter yesterday and went down to the bank and paid it. It's not worth totally f-ing up my credit rating over $55. When I showed it to the bank lady she was VERY suprised about how it was written and the two (2) days notices I was given. Note I recieved the letter yesterday but it was dated the 23 of Feb. She said it seemed harshly worded and a little over the top for $55. I would have liked a second letter from TC letting me know that I had a overdue balance and if I didn't send them the money (in say 7 days) they would send me to collections. Oh well live and learn. Don't mess with TC or no house for you. The bank lady also said that I keep calling the collecting company (of course there was nobody there when I called - but my call is very important to them) and make sure that they have my money and get a letter from them saying that and that my balance is $0.

Chop&Drop
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Chop&Drop »

dp.

Return to “General Comments”