TC sends Collection Agency after me

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

flyincanuck
Rank 8
Rank 8

TC sends Collection Agency after me

Post by flyincanuck »

...for $55

Has anyone else had this happen?

I am surprised because:

a) I've paid all my fees this year (for the first time in a long time), and
b) If I don't, I'll usually get the standard letter stating that they'll deduct the balance off my tax return, etc

So...is this a new thing?
---------- ADS -----------

benice
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by benice »

I got one too and I'm thinking that I have also paid the fee.. But I thought they have to send you a notice first.. I'm not sure what to do about it.. I don't like dealing with collection agancies. Any ideas?

BeNiCe
Dash-Ate
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Dash-Ate »

Looking for Cat to spin the usual TC tune.

:wink:

That'll buff right out :rolleyes:
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Dash-Ate:

You were not satisfied with making an ass of yourself by posting this thread?
" Replacing I am Birddog as moderator "

So you need to trash someone else?

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Dash-Ate
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Dash-Ate »

Hey this in a post: :wink:
Usually means 'joke'.

As in kidding.

(But maybe I like to spend my spare time stepping on people who are having a tough time in life :roll: Kick em when they are down :roll:

I thought we all put that thread to rest.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

My bad...

....disregard. :mrgreen:

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Dash-Ate
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Dash-Ate »

np. I like your posts and learn or it at least gives me something to think about :smt023

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Back to the collection agency thing.

TC had no method to collect beyond deducting fees from your tax returns.

If in fact they have moved to using collection agencies to collect this back door tax then the industry is seeing a new face of TC that should be very concerning to every canadian citizen.

Fees, read taxes forced on the industry for no other reason than to pay for less and less service should truly concern every Canadian citizen.

By using a collection agency they have you at a big disadvantage as it can ruin your credit rating in no time....

..... a truly disturbing situation.

Cat

Raybanman
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Raybanman »

What can TCGuy tell us about this I wonder? I've never recieved anything more than the notice on my tax return if I haven't paid it, which I normally don't for that very reason. It doesn't help me fell obligated to pay the fee when they havn't actually sent me a paper medical certificate for 2 years, despite it beeing checked off on my medical forms each year....

Cheers,
PP

Some people are like slinkies: Not much good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
flyincanuck
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by flyincanuck »

Well benice, I find it strange that I wasn't served a warning (or five) like they normally do. I realized the repercussion on my credit rating, so I gave them a call and of course got a machine.

Well, if I get a bad credit rating I guess I won't be able to buy that PPC I had in mind...

Bad joke...shutup.

Anyway, I'm not going to pay the agency. I'll ask for the TC invoice # and pay TC directly (if its a valid claim).

TC guy, would appreciate your input too.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Should you for some reason get on the wrong list of a collection agency you may not even be aware of what it does to your credit rating.

You do not want to find out you are a credit risk one day when you are applying for a home mortgage.

Or to buy a car or any other item that requires a clean credit rating.

I am rather dismayed that in a few hours two people here are posting that they are being dunned by TC using a collection agency over a medical fee over and above what they payed their doctors for performing the medical.

I wonder where all this is leading?

hazatude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by hazatude »

I wonder if I'll get a reward for bringing you in cuffed and tazered?

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

They probably pay the collection agency half of what they collect, so their income is dropping. I wonder if that thing I heard about no taxation without representation has them spooked because taking it off your income tax is an admission that it is a tax?

I hate the f*cking government - its the 'only' part of living in Canada that sucks. Half your salary already goes to them, and they still need to get you to pay for their overhead all over again with chickensh*t fees for filing. Wonder if they'll abolish the fee when they fire all the inspectors and the TC surpluses get as large as the EI surplus ($55 billion, and counting).

How can those morons expect us morons to pay for our own paper fees.

Now look what you've done, you got me ranting.

Give the government a dollar and they'll do something stupid with it.

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
duCapo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by duCapo »

I used to pay that blood tax for a couple of years, always sending them a nasty letter about it. I finally gave up, haven't paid them in years. I even get a new blank medical every couple too:-) As far as I am concerned, the goverment can kiss my ass for this one. The whole principal of it is wrong. That being said, I will probally get a humungus bill from them now!

Rule #62 "Don't take yourself so damn seriously"
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

" I wonder if that thing I heard about no taxation without representation has them spooked because taking it off your income tax is an admission that it is a tax? "
Of course it is a tax.

The last time I checked Transport Canada is a federal regulatory body which is financed through the government taxation laws.

xsbank what many young people in aviation are not aware of is the percentage of their hard earned money is squandered by all these government agencies who have the power to just tax more and more to support their ever expanding bureaucracies.

Next time you go to your friendly TC office to pay for the privilege of writing an exam or getting any other service you can feel real warm and fuzzy knowing you will be paying even more as you continue in your career flying for peanuts.

Gotta love this industry, thank God I was fortunate to have flown in a far better era when all these services were covered by my income tax.

There were no extra fees charged for the first company OC I owned it was all paid for through income tax.

Jeeses xsbank this is truly draconian.........if true.....imagine a fu.kin government agency using a collection agency to extort money..

I wonder who in TC has the quid pro quo on this one?

Cat

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

" As far as I am concerned, the goverment can kiss my ass for this one. The whole principal of it is wrong. "
duCapo:

I share your frustration, however the truth is they have you right by the balls because you are a working productive member of society and they can attach your property to get what they want.

Death by a thousand cuts.

Fuc.in pricks, no wonder they are so paranoid about gun ownership.

The nazis don't look all that different in hindsite.

TC Guy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TC Guy »

flyincanuck wrote:TC guy, would appreciate your input too.
Hmmm... I remember hearing something about them doing this a while back. I also remember thinking to myself "Great. Something else for people to yell at me for." (That was a joke... sort of).

Here is the "official" e-mail information that we received to pass out to people that enquire:
Transport Canada wrote:"Ottawa has sent 9,600 over due accounts to CollectCorp, a private collection agency, therefore we could be receiving inquires from clients as soon as the 1st week of Feb.

So here are a few Guidelines if you are contacted by clients regarding their account being sent to CollectCorp:

You are to request the client call the CollectCorp number on the letter they received

If the client wishes to pay in full we will accept and process payment same as usual

If the client wishes to make payment arrangements or partial payments they MUST call the CollectCorp number on the letter they received

If the client claims the outstanding amount was already paid or was to be cancelled, then we research it in the same as always.

So forward their request and the information to support their request to Regional Office:- Yolanda Triana 604-666-5517 or Ana Mendoza 604-666-5810

If there are letters of complaint we will be forwarding them on to Ottawa as well."
So... there you go.

Hope this helps.

-Guy

TC Guy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TC Guy »

Cat Driver wrote:[The nazis don't look all that different in hindsite.
Damn... my Brownshirt is at the cleaners...

Thanks for the heads up, Cat. :)

-Guy

PS: For those confused about the reference, click here.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Yeh, that helps.

Sort of like offering a cigarette to the poor bastard standing in front of the firing squad.

Much appreciated TC Guy makes it easier to take when you see it in such sterile no nonsense language.

I wonder what the comradeship between you and us will be like as time moves on and we are forced to pay more for all these services with the attitude that TC just has the right to impose them?
" Cat Driver wrote:
[The nazis don't look all that different in hindsite.

Damn... my Brownshirt is at the cleaners...

Thanks for the heads up, Cat.

-Guy "
I guess each of us are still free to work where we choose and be who we choose TC Guy at least there is still that amount of freedom left.

I truly never dreamed I would live to see the day that the rift between the industry and those who are supposed to regulate us would start to become this wide.....

...and I am not alone feeling this frustration TC Guy.

Once again thank God I am out of it and lived and flew in a far better era.

Got a little question for you TC Guy and I ask it in all sincerity.

I had no need for a medical since I quit flying in Europe last April ( by the way one of my medicals was done in Amsterdam anf TC still charged me the fee) so I did not get my regular 6 month medical for my ATPL.

I think my license goes to a private for the next 18 months after my due date.

However I just may decide to say fu.ck it and let it all lapse.

Would that be considered a victory for TC?

The way I see it I can just rent my homebuilt Cub to a licensed pilot and ride along as a paid consultant.

Do you think TC can stop me?

Cat

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

I wonder if you could deduct that fee from your tax - like a carrying charge for a safe deposit box. I earn the same amount (in a good year!) as a plumber, but more of my salary goes to the scumsuckers in Ottawa than his does. Discrimination! Too bad I'm just a wasp or I could do a race thing on them. Maybe an age-discrimination thing! I'll get CARP going on this one! F*ck I hate the government!! (Not you, TC guy, just your f*cking bosses!). AAArrrgggghhhh!

Widow, where are you when we need you? This is age discrimination, that bastardly tax! Over 40 you pay $110, under its $55 - how about appending to all your letters that we are being screwed based on age? Let Stephen Q. Harper put that in his pipe.

Rant Switch.....................OFF

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."

Return to “General Comments”