Bond

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Jeremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Bond

Post by Jeremy »

ok so here's the scene: you've got a training bond and you accept a job with another carrier. Can they take it off your last paycheck?

I was recently given a letter stating how much is left on my bond...and if I don't make arrangements to pay it back, that it will be taken off my last check. No thank-you for your time, nothing...all business.

Now I'm not thinking of walking on it, I just don't appreciate the way it was handled. And something makes me think they can't just deduct things from your pay without your approval....seems like a labour code issue or something.

Thoughts?
---------- ADS -----------

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

deleted

Last edited by rigpiggy on Thu May 10, 2007 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F-16
Rank 4
Rank 4

hi

Post by F-16 »

Legally, and according to the Federal Labour Code, a company cannot make any unauthorized deductions from your pay cheque without your approval.

The only exception is if there is a written contract that you have freely entered into with the company that explicitly states X number of dollars or X percentage will be taken off your last cheque if you leave before a certain point.

However, if a company tries to take X number of dollars of your last cheque for say part of a uniform because it's a practice they do, or they talk about it verbally, that will not fly with the Canadian Labour Board, and though it may take some time, you would win and get your money back every time.

However, one must always be careful and think long and hard before dragging a company down that route because it could come back to haunt you.

Kick the tires and light the fires...
just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by just curious »

Sadly Jeremy, if you signed,then yes they can deduct anything wing at that time, and for that matter apply for a garnishee order on your new job's paycheck.

If you gave your word in the form of a bond, it is incumbent on you to make a schedule of re-payment, or expect to see your last check shrink.

BigWillyStyle
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BigWillyStyle »

It all depends on what you signed. If you didn't sign anything, then legally you are scott-free. Morally is another issue altogether. The rules are clear. If I'm working for a company, I can get pissed up, take the Beaver for a 40 inch step taxi, and wrap it around a wharf piling, and the employer can't touch my check. He can, however, fire me, sue my ass, press charges, and committ anonymous character assassination on Avcanada.

But he can't touch that check.

BWS

I got out of aviation so I could afford a yacht big enough to pull up beside Doc's!
Zatopec
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: hi

Post by Zatopec »

F-16 wrote: However, one must always be careful and think long and hard before dragging a company down that route because it could come back to haunt you.
Sorry but I disagree!

Labour rules are there to protect employees and employers and to be followed by everyone. Be it an aviation company doesn't make a difference. If you win your case, it shows that they were wrong and there's no reason why it should hurt you down the road.

Make sure to be straight forward on that matter later on with potential employers if the question comes up, though.

I've done it and won my case. Never had a problem to find a job after that.

Last edited by Zatopec on Sat May 12, 2007 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zatopec
_______

He who has his ear to the ground has his ass exposed
F-16
Rank 4
Rank 4

yo

Post by F-16 »

Zapotec,

I don't disagree with you. I was simply saying to be careful - perhaps I should've clarified. I meant that if you are going to go the route of the federal labour board, make sure you know that you are in the right, and make sure you have all your ducks in a row.

That way if there is a judgement in your favour, then you have nothing to worry about, however, if it comes to light that someone is doing this out of spite for the company or thinks they have a case when they don't, then it will come back to haunt them.

I think we both share the same view - i should've expanded a little more in my first post.

Cheers

Kick the tires and light the fires...
Rudy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Bond

Post by Rudy »

Jeremy wrote:No thank-you for your time, nothing...all business.
You're cut and running and you want them to thank you for your time? You guys are funny.

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

Rudy has a point. But then, we don't know how long he worked there? Could be his second, or third bond? Dummies keep signing these bonds.
But, the easiest way to handle this, is just stand up on your hind legs and pay the company what you owe them, shake the CP's hand, and leave everybody with a good taste in their mouth.

BigWillyStyle.......Get a job! You bum!

YVR Dude
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by YVR Dude »

I strongly recommend you just call the labour board..its a free call and they won't file, or start anything until you agree to it...You get advice on this forum, but no one here is a labour lawyer....

give them a call...good luck!

YVR dude 8)

Return to “General Comments”