RIP Snowbird

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Greg87
Rank 6
Rank 6

RIP Snowbird

Post by Greg87 »

My sympathies to the family and friends. How long until they blame the Tutor?

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/s ... hub=Canada
---------- ADS -----------

Dust Devil
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Dust Devil »

Thats erie. they just buzzed town yesterday afternoon.

plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by plhought »

Does anyone know what was going on? It was down in the state? How many birds went down.

no name
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by no name »

Its too early. There were some witness accounts but it is hard to make anything of them. Let's wait and see what the press conference in MJ reveals.

My condolences to the friends and family of the Pilot.

Ref Plus 10
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Ref Plus 10 »

Deepest regards to all those affected by the loss of a teammate/family member/friend.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2007/05/ ... eport.html

ch135146
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ch135146 »

The Canadian Forces had used the same plane for basic pilot training since 2000.
The Tutor prototype first flew on January 13, 1960. The first operational one was accepted by the RCAF on October 29, 1963, from Canadair at Cartierville.

We stopped using it for student training in 2000...

invertedattitude
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by invertedattitude »

Rumour has it one airplane failed to pull out of a loop during practice... which may indicate G-LOC, I don't believe the snowbirds wear G-Suits?

SAR_YQQ
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by SAR_YQQ »

invertedattitude wrote: I don't believe the snowbirds wear G-Suits?
They do not.

Please let us keep the rumours to a minimum. We have a comrade to bury and mourn, then we can move on.

gulfan
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by gulfan »

http://www.snowbirds.forces.gc.ca/site/ ... =15&id=120

Here is a profile of him. I'm terribly sorry.

invertedattitude
Rank 10
Rank 10

there was a supposed picture of the formation shortly before the crash on CBC tonight.... definately wasn't a loop if the picture is authentic.

4 plane formation, two inverted pass, showed the tail airplane drastically out of formation.... all very sad, ever since I was a kid, and even today I look up to the Snowbirds

invertedattitude
Rank 10
Rank 10

Showed them in this formation, with I believe the trail aircraft above and out of formation:

Golden Flyer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Golden Flyer »

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... Front/home

View the comments section. I cannot believe how ignorant some people are....

Here is one post:

"These air shows are nothing short of a misguided attempt to try and impress the world that they do is superior to any other type of show so just sit back and watch us go"

"Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible"

Edward Vernon Rickenbacker

All Pilots & Prospective Pilots Should Have Read:
http://walter.freefuelforever.com
Walter Gilles
Emirates: B-777
Stearman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Stearman »

- NoseDraggers Suck
Apache64_
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Apache64_ »

My condolences to the friends and family of the pilot.

My sympathies,

Apache

Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Widow »

I am sorry our skies have lost another of its' stars. May shining memories help heal those whose hearts are aching.

Former Advocate for Floatplane Safety
Siddley Hawker
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Siddley Hawker »

Widow that is one of the most eloquent expressions of symapthy and respect I have ever seen on this or any other board.

RIP Capt. McCaughney and deepest condolances to your family and friends.

BTD
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by BTD »

My Sympathies to all involved.

http://www.snowbirds.forces.gc.ca/site/ ... utes_e.asp

Tributes to fallen members. Seems all have been #2 or #8. Strange

BTD

Greg87
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Greg87 »

"These air shows are nothing short of a misguided attempt to try and impress the world that they do is superior to any other type of show so just sit back and watch us go"
This is disturbing that people think like this. The guy who wrote that has no respect for his fellow countrymen and the armed forces which are there to fight to protect him. The Snowbirds are one of the most recognizable (if not the most recognizable) symbols of our armed forces, they represent everyone who has ever stood up for Canada. He should be proud every time he sees the Snowbirds fly by in such a clean precise formation.

I think right now the best way to honour the pilot would be to find out what the cause was and make sure it doesn't happen to anyone else. Although the aircraft are old, and it would be nice to see them get some new equipment, I am annoyed every time people go directly to assuming it was an aircraft failure, wait and see, then make statements. I personally love the fact that they fly the tutor, I don't think any current aircraft could do as graceful and artistic of a show. My 2 cents.

groundpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by groundpilot »

You think thats bad listen to this whack job:

"Well, wake up and smell the coffee, the Captain died chasing his dream and commited Jihaad by taking down targets of opportunity in Montana. He probably saw an expensive black Angus and thought it would be worth his life in trade. There's a lot of mad cow Beef imported from Canada into the states, and us common Americans can view that as an attack on our "beef" here in the States, don't blame us for being paranoid about planes crashing into our country.

Crashing planes anywhere in the USA is a sore spot with Americans, Try to see our side of it, it gets quite scary when we have to worry about our borders and air space."

and then the response from someone: "I hate to be discriminatory but your a dumb american. What the heck does a nationally funded team going to another country to perform for a foreign public have to do with border control? I am more worried about dumbys like yourself crossing into Canada. Go travel to another country or something and hopefully that will give your 1D brain a much needed shake. "

and then the best rebutal ever: "HAVE YOU FORGOTTEN 9/11?

We don't trust anyone , therefore we trust everyone equally, and that includes Canada. You say they were pilots of air-show, how do we know that?

The jihaadists were foreign exchange students here in the states and should have been scrutinized more stringently; instead we open our borders to ALL kinds of people, it is now time to take a firmer hand against all intruders/dope peddlers tunneling under the border from BC to sell dope in the USA, and Canadian airplanes bringing that sh$t in to our country to corrupt our people.

Now we have Canadian "pilots" crashing for no reason into our country, it's no damn wonder we are suspect of any foreign planes crashing out of control into our land."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... e#comments

I have faith that a person like this is few and far between.

RIP Shawn, you were an awesome dude and it was true pleasure to know you.

Greg87
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Greg87 »

:shock:

Wow. I'm speechless!

Return to “General Comments”