Fort Langley Float base closing to general public

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Over the Horn
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Over the Horn »

Has anyone actualy tried calling to get permision to land there or even find out the real deal?
---------- ADS -----------

Top-Gun
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Top-Gun »

twotter Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:29 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And your point is?? I commented on one thing and you twisted it to another.. Are you saying that the owner did this?? If you are, it is you who is the idiot.. He had nothing to do with either..
martini was in both aircraft when this happend..... i dont know who was at the controls, but i know that both accidents were from pilot f-ups.

Over the Horn
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Over the Horn »

Cat Driver wrote:
The examiner did not look outside the airplane at any time during the circuit join , circuit and approach?
now Cat you of all people shouldn't be suprised. :lol: it was a TC examiner!

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

now Cat you of all people shouldn't be suprised. it was a TC examiner!
Not according to the CADORS report.

However regardless whether or not the examiner was employed by TC it really makes no difference.

If the student had to take another ride to prove they can land on an airport versus someones field did the examiner have to take another check ride?

Or am I missing something here and the student is 100% at fault and the examiner was just along as an observer who had no particular intrest in where the airplane ended up?

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
twotter
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by twotter »

A valid point..

If I'm doing training and someone screws up real bad I should be able to take control and keep the airplane from crashing.. If not, maybe I shouldn't be doing training..

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

If not, maybe I shouldn't be doing training..

In this case Twotter the student was not being trained, he was being examined......

...maybe the examiner wanted to assess the students actions during the wrecking of the airplane phase of the flight?

Advanced manouvers??????

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

delete

Last edited by Cat Driver on Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unusual Attitude
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Unusual Attitude »

It was the piston Beaver that flipped in Crawfish Lake and Top Gun you may want to get your facts straight before you slag people. Martini Sr. was not on board the Beaver when it flipped. As for him being an idiot -- he is a very successful business man who has made many millions. He is also a keen aviator who saved the Fort Langley airport by purchasing it -- not so that he could make money but simply so it could continue to operate. And operate it will. It is PPR. Those who currently keep their airplanes there will continue to do so. He is simply not interested in battling flocks of 152s in order to use his airport. There are plenty of others out there to use.

Lommer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Lommer »

Will Ft. Langley Air continue to operate at the field and provide float training and charters?

wallypilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by wallypilot »

Cat Driver wrote:The examiner did not look outside the airplane at any time during the circuit join , circuit and approach?
Dont' be a dumbass CAT; yes he did, and doing those huge 747 circuits that inexperienced pilots always do, it is totally conceivable, especially with a low wing piper, that the candidate was looking at one field the examiner at another...or the FTE couldn't see it at all from the right side of the airplane.

Or, the candidate was looking at the right field all along, but when descending on base, turning final, was low enough to mistake the farmer's field for Ft. Langley. Even on final, the FTE still may have been looking at the right field, just thinking the candidate was a little low. A good instructor lets his/her students make mistakes, just doesn't let them progress to a dangerous point. Being low on approach, especially a short field, would not be cause for alarm.

I knew that DFTE....a stand up guy and an experienced(I mean like a life of experience...not just 2 or 3 years) pilot and examiner. Did he make a mistake? Obviously. He should have had his head up on short final. Was the student at fault? Absolutely. This was a 180 hr licensed private pilot with a multi engine instrument rating, who, I might add, had some of the Ace McCool attitude going on. Time for him to eat some humble pie apparently. Just glad him learning a lesson didn't kill anyone.

Anyways, this chat is hijacking this thread....sorry to others....CAT just sometimes opines on things that he doesn't know much about.

in the spirit of the original thread....I would think that the PPR won't be a problem for most GA pilots.....hopefully the new owner just wants to know who's coming...like the many airstrip owners on the Gulf Islands. For soft field training, there's Langley (CYNJ) which is safer anyways, and a public airport that will probably never(well, who can say never?) go private.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

I was not being a dumbass wallypilot, I was wondering how an airplane gets wrecked by landing on a farmers field instead of the airport during a commercial pilot check ride.

You seem to be quite defensive on the cause for this accident.
....CAT just sometimes opines on things that he doesn't know much about.

Correct, I didn't know, but now that you have pointed out what may have happened I guess we can move on.

wallypilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by wallypilot »

the dumbass remark was all in good humour..:P..but anyways...as you say...let's move on.

skymarc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re:

Post by skymarc »

Martini just bought a new Phenom 300, are they doing charter or are these plane leased?

Unusual Attitude wrote:It was the piston Beaver that flipped in Crawfish Lake and Top Gun you may want to get your facts straight before you slag people. Martini Sr. was not on board the Beaver when it flipped. As for him being an idiot -- he is a very successful business man who has made many millions. He is also a keen aviator who saved the Fort Langley airport by purchasing it -- not so that he could make money but simply so it could continue to operate. And operate it will. It is PPR. Those who currently keep their airplanes there will continue to do so. He is simply not interested in battling flocks of 152s in order to use his airport. There are plenty of others out there to use.

Return to “General Comments”