the 15 hour duty day

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

onezerotenthousand
Rank 2
Rank 2

the 15 hour duty day

Post by onezerotenthousand »

So, a certain company has a 15 hour op spec. ok, well question being: How or can this be maintained for all operations 5 days a week 52 weeks a year?
How does this work, and since there is one in place, what qualifies an operator to get one and continually work a skeleton staff under those conditions?
INPUT, or TC knowledge... just putting it out there.
---------- ADS -----------

AND THAT'S THE WAY THE COOKIE CRUMBLES!
Rudy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rudy »

5 days a week? Try 8. I think the qualifications are mainly paperwork based. Oh, and the application fee. Ridiculous isn't it?

Wally3Wheels
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Wally3Wheels »

You can't do it for 52 weeks.

See Commercial Air Service Standard (CASS) 720.16(1)

Here's the Standard - Assuming you're operating under 703 - Air Taxi. If you're operating under 704 then it continues to get more restrictive.

The simple way to think about it is you're allowed to do it provided the operator has the Ops. Spec. and you meet the conditions in the CASS. Notice the 6 non over lapping periods of 30 days (6 months of the year basically). Apparently the Reg. was thought up to help out float style seasonal operators, however with the lighter twins and various aircraft under 703 they got to utilize the option as well.

720.16 Flight Duty Time Limitations and Rest Periods

The standards for increasing the flight duty time limits for flight crew members are:

(1) Where the flight is conducted under Subpart 2 or 3 of Part VII of the Canadian Aviation Regulations or with a deHavilland DHC-6 aircraft not conducting a scheduled passenger service, or with a helicopter not conducting a scheduled passenger service or heli-logging, for the 6 non-overlapping periods of 30 consecutive days referred to in subsection 720.15(1), the maximum flight duty time may be extended to 15 consecutive hours if: (amended 1998/03/23; previous version)

(a) the minimum rest period is increased by 1 hour; or

(b) the maximum flight time does not exceed 8 hours in any 24 consecutive hours.

Do not judge until you know the full story...
Switchfoot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: the 15 hour duty day

Post by Switchfoot »

onezerotenthousand wrote:So, a certain company has a 15 hour op spec. ok, well question being: How or can this be maintained for all operations 5 days a week 52 weeks a year?
This wouldn't be a certain operator in B.C. would it?

just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by just curious »

Our twin otter non-scheduled work must be authorized by the chief pilot, and all of our client companies and TC look hard at compliance with our ops spec.

V1 Rotate
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by V1 Rotate »

We have the 15 hr OPSPEC but only for winter.

"I have control!"
privateer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by privateer »

Same here.

onezerotenthousand
Rank 2
Rank 2

yes 703 ops, and yes 52 weeks of the year. This is not seasonal work, no passengers carried = 703 cargo. These are the scheduled times of take-off and arrival, all routes under 8 hours of flying in a day too.

So question is how is this allowed to happen, if in the regs it says 6 / consecuative 30 day periods?

Seems fishy, and not the knid from northern canada either.

I've worked a reverse sched to accomidate crazy time periods where your time off is givin at the destination (longer time frame) However this timing does not meet the rest periods in that 24 hour clock so it cannot be done, just within a 15 hour duty day, everyday!

just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by just curious »

Well, your boss is jerking you around.
You are governed by your ops manual. Get the ops manual out, and read the ops spec.

Be very clear on what it limits you to.

If in fact you are restricted to 6 non-over-lapping periods of 30 days, then your boss has a problem. Becuase either he changes the operation to be in compliance, or you will have to call TC and let them know you are being coerced into a violation.

Or else risk getting caught and wear it.

Later in your career, you are going to have an interview for a real job of some kind. They are going to ask: "Have you ever had a violation?". Then they are going to ask both why, and what could you have done to prevent it. Confronting your boss and calling TC are the two things you can do about it.

Good luck

onezerotenthousand
Rank 2
Rank 2

No longer working there, but alot of good people are!

I have had that very interview question, but no violations for me.

Interesting what can be in an ops manual as well, been through that one, hmmm missing paperwork.

just diggin a little deeper, here anyway. No one ever likes dealing with TC or a crapptacular boss , unfortunately.

In a better place now, with a good schedule.

Sulako
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Sulako »

Thunder Airlines had a 15-hour duty day as a standard thing when I worked there in 2003 - 2004. 52 weeks a year. I assume it's legal because I complained to Transport about it when I worked there, and the inspector in YSB told me it was legit and I should shut the hell up.

Return to “General Comments”