Does your aircraft have two transponders?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Does the aircraft you fly have two transponders?

Total votes: 0

Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

Lagit Question...Why would you need 2 transponders?

A back up is the only reasonable excuse I can think of ... but how often does a transponder go U/S. I havn't been in the industry long enough, but I havn't heard of it being a common issue.

On the sarcastic side of things ... "I don't need no stinkin transponder" ... as stated in the CAR's as a glider pilot as well .... exempt. (Viewer Discretion Is Advised: Not meant to open up that discussion again :roll: )
---------- ADS -----------

--Air to Ground Chemical Transfer Technician turned 4 Bar Switch Flicker and Flap Operator--
xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

Most business jets have two - usually for redundancy for RVSM. Probably airlines too?

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
300_hour_wonder
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 300_hour_wonder »

im not sure what the regs say about it but i do know it seem to be a pretty common practice in ifr aircraft to have two transponders and i have heard of situations jsut because of antenna placement on the aircraft where you need to switch transpodners due to ATC not getting a return

Pygmie
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pygmie »

Adam Oke wrote:
but how often does a transponder go U/S. I havn't been in the industry long enough, but I havn't heard of it being a common issue.
More often then one would think. . . In the few months I've been working I've seen at least 10, which may not seem like a lot, but considering how much trouble it causes when they do fail, it can be a big deal.

In fact, a large jet from a major airline had BOTH their transponders fail on the same flight (at different times). It's been my experiance that most aircraft do have more then one box though (and I've even seen a Dash-8 with 4!), and 90% of the time when I've seen one fail they have a second one to flip to right away.

twotter
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by twotter »

xsbank wrote:Most business jets have two - usually for redundancy for RVSM. Probably airlines too?
Yup, airlines are the same thing, it's a just in case back-up..

Of course at YVR it doesn't matter because most of the problems are with NavCanada's equipment.

sissyphus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sissyphus »

Flying yesterday and a northwest airlines ship had a xpndr go. switched over to the back up. i guess it does happen.

Benwa
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Benwa »

Our fleet:

3 C441 (2 xpndr)
1 C421 (2 xpndr)
2 PA27 (1 xpndr)

V1 Rotate
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by V1 Rotate »

It's for dispatchability (new word) If your sole XPDR goes south the flight is canceled. That's also the reason new King Airs have two sets of nav lights.

"I have control!"
Driving Rain
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Driving Rain »

Our fleet of 415's have one transponder but two antenna's. (Could be B.S.) I was told that most transponder failures are antenna related.

Come to think of it....The whole aviation industry runs on B.S. and money. To make up for the lack of money, expect a 4 square increase in B.S. :roll:

Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

With all these transponders going down the shitter and becoming old technology....why isn't ADS-B being implemented. Seems like such a great system, but I havn't heard of much movement. Would make things alot safer, easier, and more efficient.

--Air to Ground Chemical Transfer Technician turned 4 Bar Switch Flicker and Flap Operator--
Raybanman
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Raybanman »

They are using ADS-B right now. Flying up to the arcitc most of the big guys are using ADS. There's only a few doing voice position. I imagine its cost-prohibiting for smaller operators at the moment though.

Cheers,
PP

Some people are like slinkies: Not much good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
lilfssister
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by lilfssister »

Adam Oke wrote:With all these transponders going down the shitter and becoming old technology....why isn't ADS-B being implemented. Seems like such a great system, but I havn't heard of much movement. Would make things alot safer, easier, and more efficient.
http://www.navcanada.ca/NavCanada.asp?L ... nr0719.xml

Have to copy and paste...I'm too lazy to fix it :)

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

I have not researched enough to know whether it is a regulation requirement or a certification requirement but virtually every turbine pressurized airplane I have ever flown has two transponders. If, like one of our airplanes, it has panel mounted avionics, the airplane will have two boxes but if the airplane has the standard Collins package, there is a switch on the face of the box to select #1 or #2, which actually switches the main boxes.

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Many dual transponder installations also have dual encoder installations as well.

Benwa
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Benwa »

I thought I once read some regulation in the US, regarding Class B airspace requiring 2 transponders... but I don't remember where I read that and for what part or the FAR.

Could be wrong though... I usually am !

sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Does your aircraft have two transponders?

Post by sky's the limit »

cpl_atc wrote:I

Last two options are for humour only, ok? Please ignore them when 'voting'.

Um, pardon me, but where I am, I hardly need a radio. Transponder? That's dead weight, sort of like flying around with extra rocks on board.... So no. no transponder here. :wink:

stl

tofo
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by tofo »

I guess that means I can go above the 2500 restriction for YWG

Apache64_
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Apache64_ »

It is actually a yes and no. Some of the planes do, some dont. It depends on what it came with.

Apache

Pygmie
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pygmie »

Raybanman wrote:They are using ADS-B right now. Flying up to the arcitc most of the big guys are using ADS. There's only a few doing voice position. I imagine its cost-prohibiting for smaller operators at the moment though.

Cheers,
PP
I think you're confusing technologies there. . . ADS-B still uses a transponder and requires equipment on the ground to receive the signal. It updates very quickly, and allows radar separation to be applied.

ADS-C is what larger aircraft are using over the north and over the pond. It is simply a position report, sent via satellite, at predetermined positions, and takes the place of position reporting via HF radio. It does NOT allow controllers to use radar separation.
Adam Oke wrote:With all these transponders going down the shitter and becoming old technology....why isn't ADS-B being implemented. Seems like such a great system, but I havn't heard of much movement. Would make things alot safer, easier, and more efficient.
ADS-B still requires a transponder (Mode-S) and also required a full IFR GPS system in the aircraft. We still have 100's of flights flying around every day with no GPS, let alone Mode-S xponders, so until everyone gets on board, the old Mode-A/C system still needs to be in place.

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

Apache 64 wrote
It is actually a yes and no. Some of the planes do, some don't. It depends on what it came with.

Apache

Actually, I beg to differ because, in my opinion, most air operators will configure their airplanes with the minimum equipment required by law and all turbine aeroplanes have two transponders which tells me the air operators have no choice. it is in the CARS somewhere.

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

Return to “General Comments”