Traffic entry procedures at uncontrolled aerodromes

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Do you respect VFR traffic entry procedures in uncontrolled aerodromes?

Yes, always
53%
Yes, but only when there is other traffic
28%
No, why bother if there is no other traffic
10%
No, traffic or not, I'm coming in, gotta save the owner some money
2%
What traffic entry procedures?
7%

Total votes: 108

Wilbur
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Wilbur »

CJ, the "shoulds" provide guidance on how to do things in the most common situations. But, they are only "shoulds," and not "shalls." because there are far too many variables that require individual pilots to exercise their good judgement to make good decisions in any given situation. It recognizes that there is more than one correct, safe, and sensible way of doing something. My example of airplane size being a determining factor in circuit entry is just one of a myriad of potential variables. The bottom line with circuit entries is fairly simple at the end of the day; you are free to enter anywhere in the circuit if it is safe to do so. If your choice turns out to be unsafe, you can be violated and held to account for making a wrong choice.

The majority of traffic at uncontrolled airports is light VFR stuff. The "should" recommendation on how to enter the circuit is going to result in most people entering the circuit the same way most of the time, and that is entirely adequate. Leaving some decision making room for pilots to do something different when it's prudent to do something different further enhances safety. Will some do something different when it isn't wise? Sure, by that's where 602.01 comes into play.
---------- ADS -----------

corporate joe
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by corporate joe »

Wilbur wrote:CJ, the "shoulds" provide guidance on how to do things in the most common situations. But, they are only "shoulds," and not "shalls." because there are far too many variables that require individual pilots to exercise their good judgement to make good decisions in any given situation. It recognizes that there is more than one correct, safe, and sensible way of doing something. My example of airplane size being a determining factor in circuit entry is just one of a myriad of potential variables. The bottom line with circuit entries is fairly simple at the end of the day; you are free to enter anywhere in the circuit if it is safe to do so. If your choice turns out to be unsafe, you can be violated and held to account for making a wrong choice.

The majority of traffic at uncontrolled airports is light VFR stuff. The "should" recommendation on how to enter the circuit is going to result in most people entering the circuit the same way most of the time, and that is entirely adequate. Leaving some decision making room for pilots to do something different when it's prudent to do something different further enhances safety. Will some do something different when it isn't wise? Sure, by that's where 602.01 comes into play.

Wilbur, I understand why things are they way they are, I was merely, for the sake of discussion, trying to illustrate what I thought was a bit nonsensical. Clearly things could be a lot worst, and I was only trying to point out how I would make them better (for what that's worth),

Nevertheless it makes no difference. No matter how much I try to say to how I think things should be, the reality remains that they shall not change.

The 3 most important things to remember when you're old:

1) Never pass an opportunity to use a washroom
2) Never waste a hard on
3) Never trust a fart

John Mayer
Benwa
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Benwa »

Now you're talking CJ !

snaproll20
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by snaproll20 »

everyone should understand that basically, the rules tell you what you CANNOT do (legally). By implication, all else is OK and unless you are being unsafe and negligent, you cannot be prosecuted. Even then, it would probably require an 'incident' to prove you were wrong... i.e. call attention to yourself. Somebody else's opinion on what you did would not be enough for a conviction.

As a consequence, there is no real guidance on how to do many things.

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

Somebody else's opinion on what you did would not be enough for a conviction
um, no. That's precisely what occurs for a 602.01 (reckless/negligent) charge - Transport has someone show up at the Tribunal and says that a prudent pilot would not do that, and therefore you were negligent and therefore contravened 602.01.

Yes, it's tremendously subjective.

snaproll20
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by snaproll20 »

Hedley,

I yield to your superior number of indictments.

Cheers :lol:

Return to “General Comments”