At last its time to speak English

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

prang one
Rank 2
Rank 2

At last its time to speak English

Post by prang one »

Pilots, Air Traffic Controllers and all others who use English in R/T communication on international routes must reach ICAO English Language Level 4 (Operational) by March 2008 - confirmed by successful completion of an ICAO-approved proficiency test.

Those who pass the test at Level 4 must be re-tested every three years. Those who fail may no longer be licensed to operate on international routes.
-----------------------------------
What the standards mean for the industry
Non-native speakers and native speakers of English must demonstrate a minimum language proficiency at ICAO Level 4 (Operational) as a licensing requirement.
For air traffic service personnel and pilots whose first language is not English, testing to determine language proficiency according to the ICAO Proficiency scale will be required. Personnel must demonstrate the ability to use the language specific to all aspects of Radiotelephony communication.

Personnel who demonstrate proficiency at:
ICAO Level 6 (Expert) will not be required to demonstrate subsequent language proficiency.
ICAO Level 5 (Extended) will need to be retested every six years.
ICAO Level 4 (Pre-operational) will need to be retested every three years.
ICAO Level 3 or below will need specific Aviation English language training to reach the minimum ICAO Operational level.
Member States who do not comply with the new licensing requirements will be required to notify ICAO, which may limit international recognition of licenses.

When changes take effect
Although these standards became applicable in November 2003, all ICAO Member States have been given until March 2008 to fulfill the necessary training requirements to allow personnel to meet mandatory testing and licensing requirements.

Member states are obliged to ensure all personnel meet the minimum
ICAO Operational (Level 4) proficiency level in English by March 2008
---------- ADS -----------

Hornblower
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Hornblower »

Wow, the Republic of Newfoundland is going to have to ship some students over here for language training. :D

Liquid Charlie
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Liquid Charlie »

Well it's nice to see some standards but it has nothing to do with domestic control - countries will still control flights in their native language and there will always be a mix of english and whatever on frequency (the Canadian issue of english and french is here to stay) - the only thing that surprises me is that french control isn't offered right across the country. :Canada: :bigscared: :laughbig:

Black Air has no Lift - Extra Fuel has no Weight

ACTPA :kriz:
justplanecrazy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by justplanecrazy »

What a load of crap!!! Boundary Bay has been filing incidents caused by language barriers for years. It's been an increasing problem with places like St. Andrews, Springbank and other training facilities taking on more and more foreign students. They finally decide to do something about it, but limit it to international license recognition only, if you don't meet the standards? Someone who doesn't speak english in Canada is just as likely to take down an airliner in Canada, as they are in any other country. You shouldn't be allowed to fly in radio airspace unless you speak english.

We have no effective screening methods to make sure pilots are sane.
— Dr. Herbert Haynes, Federal Aviation Authority.
SQ

Post by SQ »

You shouldn't be allowed to fly in radio airspace unless you speak english.
kesskidi ? :headphones:

Legacy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Legacy »

Well ya gotta maintain a the proud french heritage. Its more important that safety ya know. What a load of BS. Learn english or get the heck out of aviation.

Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ....... »

la la la la la la... la la la la la la.... quossékidi?

C'mon guise, taken eezy an go hout hov de contri a bit!! :laughbig:

Mitch Cronin
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Mitch Cronin »

queh?

hoptwoit
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by hoptwoit »

People should not have to fear both the government and the criminal. It should be that the criminal fears both the people and the government.
SerialKiller
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by SerialKiller »

I dislike the french.

Edited for language. STL

Hornblower
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Hornblower »

SerialKiller wrote:I dislike the french.
Really?
What is it you dislike about them?

Edited for language. STL

Chickaddd
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Chickaddd »

They allowed celine dion out of the province of Quebec, tabarnac! :twisted:

......Last of the Rebel Road Sistas

If you don't jump, How will you know if you can fly?

DON'T BE A Wii-TARD
CID
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CID »

I don't understand how this is going to make any difference to how things are done in Canada. Anyone?

SerialKiller
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by SerialKiller »

I did not know the word "hate" was so terrible that it had to be replaced with "dislike". This is just like being in Quebec with the language police.

Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ....... »

Chickaddd wrote:They allowed celine dion out of the province of Quebec, tabarnac! :twisted:
Nahhhh! oui juss want too cher.... :wink:

mellow_pilot
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mellow_pilot »

Whel-com tu Ca-na-da, wre fedral hem-ploy-yees is appy to servee eou hin french or broken-hinglish!

Mais vraiment, c'est un blague la...

Dyslexics of the world... UNTIE!
renfley
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by renfley »

Whel-com tu Ca-na-da, wre fedral hem-ploy-yees is appy to servee eou hin french or broken-hinglish!
HAHAHA

Get this - was in Montreal last week, went to a small restaurant, none of the staff spoke French, I'm bilingual, but I just had to give em a hard time so I pretended to only speak French! hehehe

Liquid Charlie
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Liquid Charlie »

Boys Boys -- time for some intercourse with the world -- while you are supposed to be able to go anywhere and talk to ATC in english all countries also control local traffic in their own language. In a perfect world for safety and to make our simple lives bearable we would have one language but the reality that once you leave your sterile bubble you will have to stay alert and pay attention - I spend a lot of time in the quebec region and I have no issues with the mixing - in fact get proactive and see if you can start to pick stuff out -- but quebecquois is not as easy as french (hahha -- had to say that) as for the student issues -- the money grabbing schools should be taken to task - maybe they should be forced to include english 101 and have a standard met before the first lesson.

auto4
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by auto4 »

You should all come to Quebec and meet the beautifull Québécoise...let me tell you..You wouln't leave La Belle Province and you would learn leQuébécois pretty fast.... :lol:

Liquid Charlie
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Liquid Charlie »

The ladies on montreal centre want me -- I can tell -- they tell me to call or call me -- all the time :P

Return to “General Comments”