Definition.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

I'd Rather Be Flying
Rank 3
Rank 3

Definition.

Post by I'd Rather Be Flying »

What defines a good pilot? What defines a bad pilot? Well, what do you all think??

8)
---------- ADS -----------

"Come down, your head is in the sky, feet on the ground...come down."
Right Seat Captain
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Right Seat Captain »

It's all in the attitude.

I know that's not specifically what you're looking for, but that's all I got so far.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Ah but what kind of attitude? I would say professional attitude but that does not really say anything.

Due diligence. Attention to detail. A certain je ne sais quoi ability to make command decisions in a timely manner. Basic hands and feet flying skill. Experience and the intelligence to apply it. Ability to communicate clearly efficiently and fully, all the time and every time.

And having a body like a greek god topped by my roguish good looks does not seem to hurt either :lol:.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

The most important thing in making a good pilot is the ability to fly the thing and make it go where you want it to and when you want it to.

Very few pilots today are trained to truly fly the airplane and it shows up in sloppy or just plain incompetant aircraft handling skills.

Attitude is importand but without good airplane handling skills you will have a pilot with a good attitude that still can't fly.

Cat

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
shitdisturber
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by shitdisturber »

That old axiom probably says it best; " a superior pilot is one who uses superior judgement to avoid situations that require superior skill."

mcrit
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by mcrit »

Good Pilot; knowing what the a/c needs to do and being able to make it do it.

scubasteve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by scubasteve »

me :P

dont worry...just playin up the ol pilot stereotype

. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

I'm just guessing-

If you can not crash in the most efficient manner possible.

(Same goes for a machinist, just substitute "crash" for "f*ck up parts".)

-istp

hz2p
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by hz2p »

I guess I have it all wrong ... all these years, I thought a great pilot was someone who owned a P-51 and let me fly it :lol:

But seriously folks ... a good pilot (or CEO, or policeman) is someone who performs well under pressure. Anyone can put the time in when things are going nicely. The performance of most people deteriorates under pressure ... a good pilot's does not. He always has one more thing to try, and never, ever stops flying the miserable bitch, all the way down.

Of course, an old, experienced pilot sees trouble coming a long way away, and keeps it that way. However, sometimes the fickle finger of fate screws you regardless - see the Alaska Airlines jackscrew.

ZLIN 142C
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ZLIN 142C »

I think a good pilot is very competitive, but he only competes against himself. He is always pushing himself to be better, smoother, and more proficient than he was yesterday. He explores the capabilities of his aircraft, and those of himself as well, and knows exactly what he and his machine can and cannot do. He is always trying to see things earlier, and take action earlier. He learns from past mistakes, and those of others.

A good pilot views what he does as an art, not a job. He is neither reckless nor timid. When a crisis presents itself he just does what he needs to do to deal with it, and he knows he can. And finally, a good pilot does not envy someone who is better than him. Instead, he looks for what that person can teach him (or her).

Just my thoughts.

Last edited by ZLIN 142C on Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Understanding begets harmony; in seeking the first you will find the last.
ZLIN 142C
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ZLIN 142C »

Also:

Must have a big set of gold wings, aviator shades, a jacket with fighter unit patches and an expensive watch.

Understanding begets harmony; in seeking the first you will find the last.
eric
Rank 0
Rank 0

Depends on whose side you are on

Post by eric »

A good pilot for some companies are those who brake the rules but get the flying job done. Actually..........when I think about it, A good pilot is only as good as the Company he/she works for thinks he/she is.
If you are following the rules, but don't get the job done you will be fired, no question about that. Then when you are seeking another job, you will only get a bad reccomend. You might not agree, but it is the fact. Comming from a pilot who refused to take off with 1/4 thick mixed ice and got fired. Do you realy think I got another job after that????

SO A GOOD PILOT IS IN MANY OPERATORS OPINIONS A DEAD PILOT. AT LEAST THEY WILL GET THE INSURANCE FOR THE AIRCRAFT BACK.

Tango01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Tango01 »

A good pilot doesn't brag about being a pilot. A bad one does.

8)

T01

Timing is everything.
Brize
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Brize »

Then we're all really bad pilots.

shankdown
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by shankdown »

A good pilot has the ability to prepare and sign all of his paperwork without incriminating himself.

Big_Oaf
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Big_Oaf »

Tango01 wrote:A good pilot doesn't brag about being a pilot. A bad one does.
I think this fits all proffesions and walks of life. Usually those who are truely good at what they do have a good reputation which proceeds them. Those with no reputation feel they need to create one for themselves, therefore bagging about anything they do. As said before, its all about attitude.

Return to “General Comments”