Would you leave Canada to Live in Indonesia or not?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Lion offers you a 739 job. Would you accept it & move to Indonesia

Yes
53%
No
47%

Total votes: 89

THEICEMAN
Rank 8
Rank 8

Would you leave Canada to Live in Indonesia or not?

Post by THEICEMAN »

The question of the day.
If an operator such as Lion air out of Indonesia offered you a left or right seat on the 739Er, would you do it?
The pay would be good & cost of living would be low. Lion air has 170+ 739ER orders.....
keep in mind that the Canadian government, considers Indonesia as a red travel state & does not recommend you visit.
---------- ADS -----------

Asking a pilot about what he thinks of Transport Canada, is like asking a fire hydrant what does he think about dogs.
SQ

Re: Would you leave Canada to Live in Indonesia or not?

Post by SQ »

keep in mind that the Canadian government, considers Indonesia as a red travel state & does not recommend you visit.
go there for 2 weeks, go in the countryside, talk wih people, shake hands try to make friends, be curious about their life, religion, buy the english newspaper overthere and read it, specialy the political pages, then buy "the indonesian best seller of the year" and read it as best seller often reflects preocupation of the time and people, then go in any bar and ask the people about it, about politics, then about religion, then about what they think about foreign people coming into their country. those few things will help you to really know if Indonesia is a dangerous country much more than asking here if you should go or not.
to finish ask them if they would go to north america. may be a lot of them are afraid of north america; guess why...
but you live there don't you ?

Canada government considers indonesia as a red travel state because there is a lot of muslim overthere, as if muslims were the most dangerous religion in the world, even more dangerous than christianism...

so go see by yourself and think outside your box.
:idea:

then apply or not.

Epsilon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Epsilon »

I've travelled there for more than a month and it's one of the nicest and friendliest places i've been to. The country has its downsides, but if money and schedule are good, I'd consider going there for a few years.

Mach .28
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mach .28 »

Lived there for 7 years back in the early 90's. Country has opened up quite a lot since the fall of Suharto. You will find all your amenities that you would back here. If you have children and need to send them to school check out JIS as it's not cheap for an international school (I'm thinking around 10K/yr if I remember right).

There have been uprising and bombings in the past both in Jakarta and in Bali. Thus the red flag from the State Department.

There are lots of places to go on Java let alone the rest of the thousand islands.

If I wasn't getting married, I would probably look at heading back there one day if the opportunity arose. I always tell people ....It was a great experience, but I'm glad to be back in Canada. Seemed like after 5 years there was enough for me.

Hope this helps out a bit and if you have anymore questions feel free to send me a pm.

sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by sky's the limit »

Take it and run. Almost any reasonable opportunity to live and work in a foreign country is a good one.

Go forth, see the world, and enjoy.

stl

Wacko
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Wacko »

One question: Have you ever traveled outside 1st world countries? i.e. Canada/US/Western Europe?

Every war when it comes, or before it comes, is represented not as a war but as an act of self-defense against a homicidal maniac. George Orwell
Disclaimer: The above post was not meant to offend anyone.
Chuck Ellsworth
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Chuck Ellsworth »

Take it and run. Almost any reasonable opportunity to live and work in a foreign country is a good one.

Go forth, see the world, and enjoy
It will expand your horizons far more than posting here... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The most difficult thing about flying is knowing when to say no.

After over a half a century of flying I can not remember even one trip that I refused to do that resulted in someone getting killed because of my decision not to fly.
Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

Take the job. Take a camera. Keep a journal. Take an open mind. Report back to us. Often. You will never regret it.

THEICEMAN
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by THEICEMAN »

One question: Have you ever traveled outside 1st world countries? i.e. Canada/US/Western Europe?
Yes

Asking a pilot about what he thinks of Transport Canada, is like asking a fire hydrant what does he think about dogs.
Lommer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Lommer »

Mach .28 - Out of curiosity, did you have any difficulty obtaining a red pass in Canada when returning from Indonesia after having lived there for 7 years? I suppose if it was the '90s it was probably less of an issue, but as a pilot it's an important career consideration today.

That said I would still take the opportunity without a second thought. The experience both career-wise and life-wise would be fantastic.

ch135146
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ch135146 »

Definitely yes, if I was young and single. Maybe yes, if I was my age now(48) and single.

If married, you'd need a very supportive spouse. Almost certainly no, married and kids. (Though there is the rare couple who could make it work.)

Mustard
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mustard »

Not a chance in hell. I don't care what they paid.
But I wouldn't leave Canada for any country.
OK to visit but thats it.

THEICEMAN
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by THEICEMAN »

Take the job. Take a camera. Keep a journal. Take an open mind. Report back to us. Often. You will never regret it.
Well.......just to make it clear! I didn't actually get a job yet in Asia. I have been applying actively throughout the past few days, since I am young and seeking adventure.
Just was wondering if most of you would leave or stay, given the opportuinity comes.

I love Canada very much. But I don't want to pay Canadian taxes....ever! I have made many friends across the globe over the years and can adapt well to new cultures.

JBL
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JBL »

Go. I've been living abroad for 10 years. We left for 2 years. Go figure.

Not much snow to shovel in Indonesia. Great life experience.

As my wife said before we left Canada, "when you're 80 years old in your rocking chair, do you want to be saying, Gee, I wish I had taken that opportunity to live abroad."

newpilotwife
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by newpilotwife »

Would partly depend where I would be living and the hours but most likely it would be a 'yes'. Especially since it was one of the top 5 on our Retirement List

SQ

Post by SQ »

THE ICEMAN:
Writing mine tomorow?
Just wondeting if they are going to ask questions on transonic flight?
did you have it before applying, at least ?

Mach .28
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mach .28 »

[quote="Lommer"]Mach .28 - Out of curiosity, did you have any difficulty obtaining a red pass in Canada when returning from Indonesia after having lived there for 7 years? I suppose if it was the '90s it was probably less of an issue, but as a pilot it's an important career consideration today.

Indonesia never came up. I did however live in Costa Rica in 04 for 6 months doing some contract work. The red pass issue never did seem to come up however I still had a current one with TC. They ended up calling me wondering why I had two files renewed my file and it seemed to work with little hassle.

I did work with a guy this year who was pulling wrenches down in Jamaica for a few years. They did ask for his address down there and it has been grief for him to qualify. They will not accept you company address as your personal address out of the country.

Here is what I got from a local airport security office when I called them to inquire that exact question.

""
> I have received advice from Ottawa concerning your questions and
> our records indicate that you currently have a security clearance,
> with verified residency, that expires in XXX XXXX.
>
> It is urged that every effort be made to register with a Canadian
> Gov't agency in Costa Rica that would be able to confirm your
> residency there. Although efforts to obtain a Police Certificate
> of good behaviour, while residing in Costa Rica, is difficult,
> efforts should be made with records retained of those efforts.
>
> You did not indicate how much longer you were going to stay there
> but do indicate it would not be much longer. Personally, I
> suggested that your stay should be less than a year, which may
> assist to ensure your good standing here in Canada is maintained.
>
> Other than that, I can offer no further advice and some is
> personal, not official. When you return you should request re-
> instatement of your Restricted Area Pass with the appropriate
> recommendation from your then employer. When the request is
> received it will be considered individually and not as a part of a
> grouping or requests.
>
> I trust this will assist in your decisions for the future.
""

THEICEMAN
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by THEICEMAN »

did you have it before applying, at least?
Of course....I got the IATRA almost a month ago & started applying yesterday!

airwrench
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by airwrench »

I would say go for it, am just waiting to hear back on a position in Jakarta myself.

Good luck

rotorhead350
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rotorhead350 »

I say go for it. I am leaving this place myself to start a new job overseas. Leaving on the 15th for Bangkok where i will be living, and my tours will be in Nigeria....................rh350

Return to “General Comments”