Baggage Fees on Air Canada

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Baggage Fees on Air Canada

Post by trey kule »

WJ has created a bit of a myth about prices. It may be that you can still get deals, but I fly right across canada and back on a fairly regular basis with last minute bookings. WJ is just not cheaper anymore, and I find myself using AC more and more..particularily with the WJ sardine seats.

As to the weasel charges. seems consumers only look at the starting price...$150.00 for example. then add in taxes, fuel surcharges, security fees, airport fees, headset (WJ only),meals, drinks, and now baggage charges, and you have a total cost of usually almost twice as much. as long as the sheep buy into it (pun inteneded) they will keep using this tactic. Kudos to websites like travelocity for giving you the all up price. I would really like to see people surcharged for the "carry on" luggaage that resembles a VW bus.

Personally, I dont care about the smiles, but the corny jokes on Wj are getting a little thin when you travel all the time.

Nothing is going to change until people (like they did to the car rental companies) start to complain that these "surcharges" are a part of business expenses and not revenue sources.
---------- ADS -----------

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
whiteguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by whiteguy »

linecrew wrote:
whiteguy wrote:And no this isn't a AC shenanigan since most of the majors in the US and Europe are doing the same thing.
That's not necessarily true. Was in Europe last year and this is simply not the industry norm. And when I said shenanaingans it was a nice way of saying further bullshit. Enjoy your sub.
Oh well, you were there last year! I guess everything is exactly the same, my mistake. And they're Quiznos. Once again airlines are there to make money. WS charges for services and its called an industry leader with great new ideas. AC does it and its called gouging the customer. Same price for the same services yet AC is still bashed.

anonymity
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by anonymity »

Air Canada to charge $25 for second bag; WestJet may follow
Posted: April 25, 2008, 1:06 PM by Scott Deveau
Transportation
WestJet Airlines Ltd. says it too is considering charging passengers for checking a second bag after its larger domestic rival, Air Canada, said it would start doing so this summer on some of its flights in an effort to offset soaring fuel prices.

Air Canada, the country's largest carrier, said Friday it would begin charging $25 to its passengers as of May 15 to check a second bag on flights after July 15 within Canada and the United States, including Hawaii, for Tango and Tango Plus passengers.

"In an environment of record high and unrelenting fuel costs it is more critical than ever that the airline reviews its product offering to ensure it can continue to offer everyday low fares," said Duncan Dee, Air Canada chief administrative officer, announcing the new policy.

Sky high fuel prices have had several other North American carriers adopt a similar fee in recent months, including Continental Airlines, Northwest Airlines, United Airlines, and AirTran Airways.

Low-cost carrier JetBlue Airways said Friday it too would begin charging $20 for a second bag as of June 1.

Others, like American Airlines are considering doing the same.

"This policy change is part of the on-going review of our activities that allow us to keep pace with current industry standards and economic realities, while remaining competitive with our main North American competitors," Mr. Dee said.

Air Canada says only about 20% of Tango and Tango Plus passengers [it's two lowest fare brands] check a second bag.

WestJet is also considering charging for second bag in an effort to offset soaring fuel prices, according to Richard Bartrem, WestJet spokesman, now that the Calgary carrier is in the “minority” of North American carriers who don't.

“We are looking at a variety of measures to mitigate the issue,” he said. “What we are trying to do is balance shareholder value with being able to provide value to the guests.”

For every dollar the price of oil rises, WestJet's bottom line is eroded by $5-million on an annualized basis, Mr. Bartrem said.

The second bag fee is just the latest move for Air Canada to monetize services in its operations that were once given free, including charging for pillows, meals, and other services like seat selection.

Earlier this month, Air Canada said it would implement a new service that would provide meal vouchers, accommodations, and bookings on another carrier to passenger whose flights had been delayed for a significant time for incidents outside of its control, including weather. The so-called "On My Way" service costs either $25 or $35 depending on the length of the flight.

Air Canada said the new baggage policy does not apply to business class customers or those with Elite, Super Elite and Prestige members in addition to Star Alliance Gold and Silver members status.

Scott Deveau

anonymity
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by anonymity »

All business class airline Eos folds
Posted: April 28, 2008, 10:17 AM by Scott Deveau
Transportation
Eos Airlines Inc. became the latest U.S. carrier to fold in the face of weakening demand and high fuel prices.

Over the weekend, the all-business-class airline that flies between New York and London filed for bankruptcy protection in a New York court.

The Wall Street Journal [subscription required] reported Monday that the closely held Eos had expected to receive US$50-million in new capital from current investors in order to keep the company profitable in 2009, but its failure to close on the financing left it with "insufficient cash to continue operating."

"This announcement is particularly regrettable since we have achieved so much, including having a term sheet in hand for additional financing," the company said in a statement on its website. "Clearly, even in today's challenging economic and credit environment, investors believe in Eos. Unfortunately, some issues arose that prevented the parties from moving forward."

Eos is the fourth U.S. carrier in the last month to go out of business, joining Aloha Airgroup Inc., ATA Airlines Inc., and Skybus Airlines Inc., which have also folded in the face of high fuel prices and a slowing U.S. economy.

Denver's Frontier Airlines Holdings Inc. also filed for bankruptcy protection earlier this month, but said it would continue to fly through its restructuring.

Eos, which was launched in 2005, flew its last two flight Sunday before shutting down operations. Former British rival Silverjet said it would offer stranded Eos ticket holders a discounted rate on its flights.

It is the second all-business-class airline to fold in recent months, following MAXjet Airways filing for bankruptcy protection on Dec. 24, 2007.

Scott Deveau
Maybe this could've been avoided somehow, if only there was some way of not going out of business.....hmmm maybe if we had just charged for a second bag!!!
Wonder how much a ticket would cost if there was only 1 Domestic Carrier. I seem to recall when there was essentially no competition on a route like YTH-YWG. seems to me round trip airfare was something to the tune of 1500 dollars, give or take a surchare or 2.

PilotFlying
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PilotFlying »

trey kule wrote:WJ has created a bit of a myth about prices... [and] is just not cheaper anymore...
Finally, someone is willing to admit it.

Thanks, trey kule. That was refreshing.

8)

Don't like it? Don't read it.
Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

Or you could just fly on Jizz's RJ's where carry-on baggage, and people larger than 5' 10", simply won't fit!

The Hammer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Hammer »

I'd rather hunch over for a couple of minutes and have leg room when I get in my seat vs be able to stand up while boarding but then have to cram myself into the seat at Transat or Sky service for 4-10 hrs. There are +40 more pax on a Skyservice 320 than AC's. (J class don't take that much space)

anonymity
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by anonymity »

Or you could just fly on Jizz's RJ's where carry-on baggage, and people larger than 5' 10", simply won't fit!
Donald, where are you getting this info.
I'm 6'3" 270 lbs and I fit in the RJ seats far better than a 737NG's seats. and as for carry on, if youv'e ever actually been on a Jazz RJ you would know that there's a skycheck service for your carry on.

Norfolk
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Norfolk »

anonymity wrote:
Donald, where are you getting this info.
I'm 6'3" 270 lbs and I fit in the RJ seats far better than a 737NG's seats. and as for carry on, if youv'e ever actually been on a Jazz RJ you would know that there's a skycheck service for your carry on.

Now THAT was funny! :lol:

canpilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by canpilot »

The AC baggage limit is definately a bit rediculous. From personal experience, when you are going to northern communities for long work terms away from home and civilization YOU WANT TO BRING STUFF! Books, movies, and ipod and a fairly healthy ammount of clothes does help.

The last time I was up there..the majority of my clothes were too destroyed to even fathom taking back home. its no different now, Westjet and Canadian Norths extra 20-40 lbs per bag or total (not really sure)makes a huge difference..for me at least...

grimey
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by grimey »

anonymity wrote: Maybe this could've been avoided somehow, if only there was some way of not going out of business.....hmmm maybe if we had just charged for a second bag!!!
Wonder how much a ticket would cost if there was only 1 Domestic Carrier. I seem to recall when there was essentially no competition on a route like YTH-YWG. seems to me round trip airfare was something to the tune of 1500 dollars, give or take a surchare or 2.
Maybe if you got your tickets at the last minute. YTH-YWG return on Calm Air usually cost me $50-100 more than YWG-YOW return on WJ, but that was ordering well in advance. Haven't flown with them on my dime since First Air added a stop in YTH, so I don't know about now.

no sig because apparently quoting people in context is offensive to them.
twotterflogger
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by twotterflogger »

BoostedNihilis
To be honest, you come off like a prick in this post so I'll hitch onto your original dumb statement and go from there.
Ain't that the Kettle calling the pot black! Geez, why dont you read your own statements below and mull that over. Now I re-read what I posted and don't see where I might have come off as a "prick"... Please do enlighten me Mr Kettle :rolleyes:
boo-effin-hoo. They aren't saying you can only take 30lbs, they're saying if you need to, you pay. you pay now.
I never said that they would not allow me to take more cargo, I simply said that if KLM and many others can at no charge why can't my own national airline? Whats to f--king wrong with that statement???

Look man, the airlines aren't meant for that kind of cargo. Shipping your needy ass and six months worth of your survival junk is not the intended purpose of Air Canada..

Why should I have to pay for the fuel/services to carry my 30lbs and your extra 20? Thats crap man. You want to haul that much crap, fine, go ahead, you pay for it though. Don't freeload off my ticket fare to haul your junk.
Funny since when I fly first class, I pay surcharges to allow you to get a cheap ticket on economy (And for the record I've never flown first class, just making a point)
You're bringing a tear to my eye... if you can't work within the limitations then I guess you're just S.O.L.

The phrase, 'you can't handle the heat, get out of the kitchen' comes to mind.
Sorry mate, but you've lost me there.... Please re-read my posts as I never said that I could not deal with those limitations... I simply said that its ironic that I can fly a 10,000 mile trip with another airline with a bigger bagage allowance and not get charged for it... Now it's funny that to connect to those flights I have to travel 500 miles with Air Canada, yet they see it fit to charge me... What gives?

If you're awesome job doesn't supply you enough cash to bring your needed supplies then you are part of the problem not the solution.
Again I must ask, Where the hell do you come up with these sad attempts to insult me? I don't see any relevance to your above comment regarding this thread... Are you jealous that I might fly abrod? (Not saying you are, just trying to understand your lack of caracter)

Any tell me, how the f--ck am I part of the problem? And what solution are you talking about?

You wear decent clothing in Africa? damn, no wonder you need to carry so much luggage. Maybe you haven't been where I have, but in Africa, the places I have been, decent clothes would be worthless after one day worth of use.... Also, the places in Africa I have been.. I wouldn't want to wear decent clothes because that would make me a target...
Not to brag, but I've flown in every African country except for Sudan and Mali. I do consitter myself well traveled in that part of the world, and own property there as well...
Now back to your statement...
By "nice clothing" I dont mean 3 piece suits! But if you've been out there, and actually worked there, you'd know that any African wont give you the light of day if your dressed like a bum... There is a reason PPL pilots there wear 4 bars when flying a 172...
Now if you think that what you wear in Africa affects your likelyhood of getting into trouble I disagree strongly. Being a Muzungu will attract much more attention then wearing nice chinos and dress shirt!

---Now back to my original question if I may---
Why can other airlines provide me with more baggage allowance over a 10,000 mile trip, then my own National Airline over a 500 mile trip?---

Now if you don't agree with my reasoning "BoostedNis" argue it all you want, but bringing insults, and caracter attacts are immature, unessairy, and childish.

Regards,
Dad

twotterflogger
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by twotterflogger »

Umm guess the kitchen was too hot for you Boost :smt014

bmc
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by bmc »

BoostedNihilist wrote:
Look man, the airlines aren't meant for that kind of cargo. Shipping your needy ass and six months worth of your survival junk is not the intended purpose of Air Canada.
What is the intended purpose of Air Canada?

bmc
Tim Tam
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Tim Tam »

bmc wrote:
BoostedNihilist wrote:
Look man, the airlines aren't meant for that kind of cargo. Shipping your needy ass and six months worth of your survival junk is not the intended purpose of Air Canada.
What is the intended purpose of Air Canada?
It is common sense pal, you and your baggage allowance go from A to B.

If you want extra junk sent, pay cargo rates for it, space available. If you want a meal, pillow, booze, carbon offset, yada yada yada, you pay for all that too.

Now, OTP, IFE, and of course, SMILES, well, heck, they are all FREE. :wink:

BoostedNihilist

Post by BoostedNihilist »

Last edited by BoostedNihilist on Tue May 04, 2010 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twotterflogger
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by twotterflogger »

Sir, I thankyou for your intelligent comments, and hold no anger. Perhaps one day we'll meet and discuss ICBC and our African adventures over some "wobbley pops"...
Perhaps we can invite ., and just bitch about Preusse and his cronies.... Now, THAT would be fun!

Chuck Ellsworth
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Chuck Ellsworth »

Perhaps we can invite ., and just bitch about Preusse and his cronies.... Now, THAT would be fun!
And when you two run out of interesting African stories I could fill in with some of mine...... :mrgreen:

The most difficult thing about flying is knowing when to say no.

After over a half a century of flying I can not remember even one trip that I refused to do that resulted in someone getting killed because of my decision not to fly.
twotterflogger
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by twotterflogger »

. . wrote:
And when you two run out of interesting African stories I could fill in with some of mine...... :mrgreen:

That would be great .. One day we'll have to meet. I've been wanting to meet this . fella for awhile now :)

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

That would be great .. One day we'll have to meet. I've been wanting to meet this . fella for awhile now :)
I'm moving to Guyana soon twotterflogger Rockie is giving me the money to buy a piece of property that best suits my needs. :mrgreen:

Quote from Rockie:

Well don't leave the lights on for me Reverend Jim. Cults aren't really my thing.
So drop by anytime..the Coolaid is free. :smt040

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.

Return to “General Comments”