Westjet Nickel and Diming

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: lilfssister, North Shore, ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, I WAS Birddog

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 614
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:12 pm

Westjet Nickel and Diming

Post by Kosiw »

---------- ADS -----------
  
Gravity always wins

thatdaveguy
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 267
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:07 pm

Re: Westjet Nickel and Diming

Post by thatdaveguy »

I'm really disappointed to see this. At first I thought it wasn't a big deal but I'm not a fan of some of those things they want to change...

- The pre-selection of seats is really, really nice. I likely won't pay extra for it, though. I will be sad to see this go to a paid perk.
- Window seats only in a higher tier? Ugh...
- The lowest tier won't be refundable anymore?? UGH... I do not mind the current structure where the money would be held until another flight (as opposed to a real refund) but no refunds altogether really sucks

Fuel surcharges sucks, wonder how many years until the government gets around to making them illegal.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Legacy
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 536
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:05 pm

Re: Westjet Nickel and Diming

Post by Legacy »

clunckdriver wrote:Having seen them of the end of two runways this year the extra for the seat next to the emergency exit might be a good investment!

Is that supposed to be funny? Just curious.
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
raven54
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 548
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:14 am
Location: a dumpster

Re: Westjet Nickel and Diming

Post by raven54 »

I thought it was funny.
---------- ADS -----------
  

CID
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 3544
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:43 am
Location: Canada

Re: Westjet Nickel and Diming

Post by CID »

Fuel surcharges sucks, wonder how many years until the government gets around to making them illegal.
On what basis would they be illegal?
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
Jaques Strappe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1847
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:34 pm
Location: YYZ

Re: Westjet Nickel and Diming

Post by Jaques Strappe »

If the public was willing to pay for "airfare" rather than "busfare", then companies would not have to resort to finding creative ways to generate revenue. Sorry, no sympathy for people who want everything for nothing. :roll:
---------- ADS -----------
  
Standby for new atis message

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator
Posts: 5404
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Straight outta Dundarave...

Re: Westjet Nickel and Diming

Post by North Shore »

If all of this comes to pass, one wonders what the difference will be between Westjet and Air Canada/Jazz - apart from less frequency, and all roads going through Calgary? Poor move, IMHO.
---------- ADS -----------
  
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.

. .
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2670
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:53 am

Re: Westjet Nickel and Diming

Post by . . »

Legacy wrote:
clunckdriver wrote:Having seen them of the end of two runways this year the extra for the seat next to the emergency exit might be a good investment!

Is that supposed to be funny? Just curious.
yes?
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 3594
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:24 pm

Re: Westjet Nickel and Diming

Post by KAG »

First off, fuel has gone up…alot. You pay more at the pump for your car, bike, and boat. Stands to reason a plane will cost more to - no? Can't be avoided by anyone. As for the other changes, we shall se if they get approved, and how our quests feel about it. As it stands right now we have a first come, first serve for seat selection. We get constant complaints from quests who want to sit with family members but only show up at the gate 15 mins before departure and whine about how they can't sit with wife/husband. We try to accommodate but we won’t piss off more quests to please one who knew the rules when he/she booked. So this is actually a good thing IMHO.

As for what sets us aside from AC/Jazz…fly on us sometime. The answer will be smiling in front of you.
---------- ADS -----------
  
The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 3588
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:33 am
Location: YYC 230 degree radial at about 10 DME

Re: Westjet Nickel and Diming

Post by co-joe »

I don't have a problem with fuel surcharges, their cost goes up and they still have a bottom line to meet. Now I just wish I could charge my employer a fuel surcharge on me showing up to work...
---------- ADS -----------
  

Chuck Ellsworth
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 3074
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:49 am
Location: Always moving

Re: Westjet Nickel and Diming

Post by Chuck Ellsworth »

I was wondering about these giant rises in the price of fuel.

As the price rises the taxes also rise in direct porportion to the rise in price.

What does the government do with that tax windfall?
---------- ADS -----------
  
The most difficult thing about flying is knowing when to say no.

After over a half a century of flying I can not remember even one trip that I refused to do that resulted in someone getting killed because of my decision not to fly.

2milefinal
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 429
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:36 pm

Re: Westjet Nickel and Diming

Post by 2milefinal »

...
---------- ADS -----------
  

MrG
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 3:43 pm

Re: Westjet Nickel and Diming

Post by MrG »

KAG wrote: As for what sets us aside from AC/Jazz…fly on us sometime. The answer will be smiling in front of you.

Is it me, or does AC's cabin crew grow more bitchy each time I fly with them?
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
fanspeed
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 405
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:59 am

Re: Westjet Nickel and Diming

Post by fanspeed »

MrG wrote:
KAG wrote: As for what sets us aside from AC/Jazz…fly on us sometime. The answer will be smiling in front of you.

Is it me, or does AC's cabin crew grow more bitchy each time I fly with them?
I have had surprisingly great service on AC these days...not really anything to set the two carriers apart these days. (other than the color of the paint!)
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 3594
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:24 pm

Re: Westjet Nickel and Diming

Post by KAG »

MrG wrote:
KAG wrote: As for what sets us aside from AC/Jazz…fly on us sometime. The answer will be smiling in front of you.

Is it me, or does AC's cabin crew grow more bitchy each time I fly with them?
Actually there getting better. Still come across alot of bitter pills, but overall, a much improved attitude over the last few years.
---------- ADS -----------
  
The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.

kevenv
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 613
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:19 am

Re: Westjet Nickel and Diming

Post by kevenv »

Air Canada fees = Devil Incarnate
Westjet fees = Following industry trend

People were in an uproar when Air Canada announced a fuel surcharge. People are on this thread sticking up for Westjet? An extra fee is an extra fee, I don't care who you are or what you are adding on.
What is so difficult? Give me the "real" ticket price! You're not fooling me. Everyone knows that what you advertise as the price of a ticket is so far off the mark it is laughable!
---------- ADS -----------
  

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 9241
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:28 am

Re: Westjet Nickel and Diming

Post by Doc »

I have no problem with a "user pay" system. An airline ticket SHOULD cost more than a bus ticket. Bottom line? Sometimes, the bus actually costs MORE. This is wrong. What has people pissed is the simple fact that an airline advertises one price for a ticket, then has all these cute little "extras" upon purchase. Just put them all in the price of the bloody ticket in the first place! Too simple? Guess so. Another thing that's always pissed me off, is referring to your passengers as "guests"...they are NOT guests....they are your passengers. GUESTS are people you invite over for dinner!
Of course, if I can, I'll always drive rather than fly airlines. You should be able to move about your own bloody country without showing photo ID! I mean, piss off! You think the "bad guys" don't have the best photo ID money can buy? Of course they do!
---------- ADS -----------
  

Chuck Ellsworth
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 3074
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:49 am
Location: Always moving

Re: Westjet Nickel and Diming

Post by Chuck Ellsworth »

I have no problem with a "user pay" system.
Great Doc, yesterday I got a phone call from a collection agency claiming I owe TC almost a thousand dollars for a user fee for my medicals .....

...can you pay it for me?

Thanks, ..
---------- ADS -----------
  
The most difficult thing about flying is knowing when to say no.

After over a half a century of flying I can not remember even one trip that I refused to do that resulted in someone getting killed because of my decision not to fly.

shankdown
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 224
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:15 am

Re: Westjet Nickel and Diming

Post by shankdown »

The travelling public always seem to have the answer, don't they? However, the airlines know that they are teenagers, try to sound like they know everything when they really know nothing at all. To me, it's quite simple why the fuel comes as a surcharge, and not part of the fare.

If AC makes it part of their fare, when WestJet has is as a 'surcharge', then the travelling public will fly WestJet because when they go book online, their fares would be cheaper... even though the end result is the same money. So, they're forced to make it an additional surcharge. And as for WestJet, they also needed to bring in more money for rising fuel prices, so they also made it a surcharge shortly after AC did. Because if they included it in their fare, everyone would fly AC because AC's tickets would appear so much more inexpensive.

Further, if they were to collaborate, and agree with each other that they'd both increase ticket prices by 'x' amount on whatever agreed upon day to account for rising fuel, the public would jump up & down, and say that the airlines are illegally 'price fixing'. The airlines can't win, because the public is too dumb to figure it out on their own that airlines are trying to make a profit, rather than break even or lose.

Do you see their problem?

If it costs you twice as much to drive to the airport than it did this time last year, it stands to reason that it's also gonna cost airlines more to fly you across the country. Perhaps its just easier to bitch about it than it is to sack up and pay the extra cash.
---------- ADS -----------
  

kevenv
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 613
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:19 am

Re: Westjet Nickel and Diming

Post by kevenv »

Shankdown

I think you are missing the point here. I, and others, are saying roll all the dumb fees into a ticket price. Period. There doesn't have to be collusion, or the appearance of price fixing by ACA and WJA. Stop advertising ridiculously low prices that do not reflect the actual price I have to pay. If all the fees and surcharges add up to $1000 then advertise $1000 plus tax. Period. The public that you think is too dumb to get it, does get it. Yes we want cheap seats, we'd be stupid not to. But when my Visa is charged way more than the airline advertised for the ticket, I get it, they aren't fooling anyone.
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
Airtids
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1641
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2004 12:56 am
Location: The Rock

Re: Westjet Nickel and Diming

Post by Airtids »

Jaques Strappe wrote:If the public was willing to pay for "airfare" rather than "busfare", then companies would not have to resort to finding creative ways to generate revenue. Sorry, no sympathy for people who want everything for nothing. :roll:
EXACTLY!!! I have been saying for years that this is the BIGGEST reason why the industry here is so screwed up!!
---------- ADS -----------
  
Aviation- the hardest way possible to make an easy living!
"You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace!" Michael Franti- Spearhead
"Trust everyone, but cut the cards". My Grandma.

User avatar
Siddley Hawker
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 3351
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:56 pm
Location: 50.13N 66.17W

Re: Westjet Nickel and Diming

Post by Siddley Hawker »

What does the government do with that tax windfall?
Pays the generous pensions for old feckers like us. :smt040
---------- ADS -----------
  

shankdown
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 224
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:15 am

Re: Westjet Nickel and Diming

Post by shankdown »

kevenv, I agree with you that it would be nicer to know from the start what the final price will be. However, I also believe that it's important for the public to know exactly what the airfare is, and also what the taxes are. The taxes aren't set by the airline, so I understand why they don't want to be associating themselves with them. The fact is, if one airline hides them and the other one doesn't, the public will fly with the one that doesn't hide them, because the fares will 'appear' cheaper. And if the airline team up and include those taxes together, people WILL accuse 'em of price fixing. The media will too. My goodness, it's appauling how the media spins things against airlines. People just like bitching at the airlines.

And every time I've ever booked a ticket online, or on the telephone, I'm always told exactly how much will be charged on my Visa, before I confirm that I want to go through with the purchase. I can go on the internet right now, book a flight to Vancouver, go through all the steps and see the taxes BEFORE I confirm the purchase. I'll do it right now.

The following took me no more than one minute to find, and I didn't even have to give my Visa number to find it:

From Calgary to Vancouver, March 16, 2008.

Airfare / GuestRegular Fare $325.00 CAD
Taxes, Fees & Surcharges /Guest (details) $92.55 CAD Taxes, Fees & Surcharges /
Guest (details) $92.55 CAD
Nav-Ins-Fuel$48.00 CAD
GST-HST$19.88 CAD
AIF$20.00 CAD
ATSC$4.67 CAD

Subtotal /
Guest $417.55 CAD Multiplied by 1 Guest
$417.55 CAD
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total Cost of Flight$417.55 CAD

There you go. You don't have to wait for your Visa slip to show up. You can see the charges 5 seconds after you pick the flight you want.

Shankdown
---------- ADS -----------
  

goldeneagle
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 715
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:28 pm

Re: Westjet Nickel and Diming

Post by goldeneagle »

And this is EXACTLY what the airlines are hoping, you are stupid enough to believe the 'fuel surcharge' is indeed a tax. It's not. It's not revenue going to any government agency, it's going directly to the airline. In reality, it's a fare increase, that they have itemized as a line item such that joe stupid thinks it's another tax.

In any other industry, if you advertise a product at a given price, and then wont deliver for that price (before taxes), it's called fraud. For some reason, folks in aviation seem to think it's acceptable.

The real reason airlines are doing this, is to try keep the fare visible to the various travel agency automated systems lower than it really is, in an attempt to grab the business, then do a 'bait and switch' on the real fare they are charging, by burying the increase into a separate line item and make it appear to be a tax.

It's a fare increase, get over it. I'd like to see the consumer affairs folks take this to task finally. Advertising a 189 fare, and then having NO space available at that price, is fraudulent advertising, and should be treated as such. If the actual price before taxes is 189 + 'some surcharge', then that's the price they should be advertising too. There should be laws against advertising a ridiculously low price, then not delivering ANY product at that low price. Oh, wait a minute, there are laws against that....
---------- ADS -----------
  

xkbal
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun May 15, 2005 8:12 am

Re: Westjet Nickel and Diming

Post by xkbal »

goldeneagle wrote:In any other industry, if you advertise a product at a given price, and then wont deliver for that price (before taxes), it's called fraud. For some reason, folks in aviation seem to think it's acceptable.
I personally would like to see the fuel surcharge included in the price. That being said I think you are mistaken when you say no other industry does that. Check out several courier, delivery, trucking companies and I believe you will find fuel surcharges at a lot of them.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Post Reply

Return to “General Comments”