Speaking French on the radio

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Right Seat Captain
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Speaking French on the radio

Post by Right Seat Captain »

Cat Driver wrote:I used to try and fit in when flying in the middle east by ending all my transmissions with " enchallah. " worked like a charm. :mrgreen:
Indeed, but it makes you wonder when your clearance is "You're cleared to Taif airport, inshallah" or "you're cleared to land, inshallah"
:mrgreen:
---------- ADS -----------

jetflightinstructor
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jetflightinstructor »

Could this be prevented by certain companies changing policy/SOP in order to enforce the use of the ICAO language?
French is an official ICAO language. French is also an official language of United Nation.

I agree with the idea you want to explain. I still have some concerns about your manner, and your argument.
Safety is the only goal. I think you are smart, you should be able to explain your point of view without creating an attack about one part of the human being identity: the language.
Be very careful when you talk without politness about this subject, be sure you are on a virtual internet discussion, or remain outside the non english speaking world (wich represents more than 80%).

I agree with enforcing safety, but 99.99 % of the crash in Canada are not language problem related. Wrong battle if you are really honnest to fight for safety.

How could you be sure that in 50 years english will still be the official international radio communication language (note that at this time its not the only official one for domestic flight, in some country you still cannot flight DOMESTIC if you dont know the country language), breath deeply, open your heart, accept the difference. You will feel better. Learn a new language also, it will stimulate your brain. Nowadays individuals able to speak 3-4 languages and understand others culture are not uncomon.

While I agree to make a big effort for all crew to speak english, I want to remind you that if safety honnestly is your first concern, you should fight on the 99,99% non-language related crash. You will be more efficient to save life.

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

Today, I am only going to speak Spanish on the radio.

Tomorrow, I am only going to speak Mandarin.

3juggs
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 3juggs »

I respect the fact that Canada has two official languages however [b]small penguin[/b] just because somebody can't speak the other official language doesn't make them stupid or ignorant, just means they didn't have the same opportunities or requirement to learn French or vice versa as you. Not everyone in Canada has the same exposure to both languages, have you been out west lately, try ordering in French, see where that gets you! For that matter try going anywhere outside of Quebec. Unfortunately most of Canada's education system haven't done a great job teaching us the other official language so when you quoted 401.06(1.1), and 401.13(2) it just goes to show us that the federal government recognizes that by amending all these laws aviation related or not. In a perfect world every Canadian would be bilingual but we don't live in a perfect world, we live in Canada. Not everyone flying threw Quebec is Canadian either, there is plenty of international traffic to, over and around Quebec that there first language isn't French or English. I'm willing to bet if they are flying with a major airline their second language isn't French. The language laws were put in place with good intentions, to preserve french but they are a double edged sword that probably weren't fully thought threw in respect to how they would affect us everyday when applied to aviation safety. I don't really care what anyone says on this forum in favor of French on the radio, no one can convince me that it is perfectly safe. Bottom line is I don't blindly follow ATC instruction without trying to mentally picture where all the traffic is and anytime I can't picture where that traffic is makes me nervous. I'm sure we all like to see the big traffic picture and and personally I don't like it when it's distorted. Every pilot takes pride in there ability to for see possible traffic conflict and suggest, request or take corrective action to avoid it. I'm sure ATC appreciates the help. With all that said my hats off to Montreal Center, they do an amazing job in both languages!!!

SQ

Post by SQ »

Cat Driver wrote:

AFAIK, they speak English.
Yup, air traffic communications in Europe is conducted in English.

In fact an Air France flight into Montreal told ATC that Air France conducts all radio work in English when they received a transmission in French....( Maybe they couldn't understand Quebec French? :mrgreen: )
:mrgreen: it happened to be true...
ok, lets speak french on the radio but not quebecer... hu ? :smt108
did I say something wrong ? :rolleyes: :mrgreen:

small penguin
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by small penguin »

valvelifter wrote:
small penguin wrote:Maybe the problem isnt with a "language barrier" with the pilots. Maybe the problem lies with certain Canadian citizens whom refuse to learn the other official language of their country ;)
I thought communication was all about safety, and not about politics and official languages.
It is. My point was anyone trying to blame language for safety, has issues. As its been pointed out already. If you're really not comfortable flying because you dont understand another language spoken on the radio, you have two options: A) Learn the language, B) Stop flying.
ski_bum wrote:Safety is number one in aviation right? In the end we all want to get home every night. Having two languages on the radio in the end could result in an accident taking place.
Yes, it could. Just like anything else in this world could cause an accident. Pilot error, weather, mechanical, etc. In the end, you all want to go home, but you all have to accept that there is that possibility that you WONT go home, someday. If you cant accept the risk, why are you flying?
ski_bum wrote:For me flying in northern Quebec, I might as well turn my radio off as I have no clue where anyone is because I can't understand French. I don't do this, I cross my fingers that I may pick up something from a position report, but I'm trying to prove a point.
If you feel you must shut off your radio, then go for it. You're allowed to fly nordo in uncontrolled. If flying with the radio off - or on, and not understanding French calls - makes you uncomfortable, then again, either learn the language, dont fly there, or stop complaining and suck it up.
3juggs wrote:I respect the fact that Canada has two official languages however small penguin just because somebody can't speak the other official language doesn't make them stupid or ignorant, just means they didn't have the same opportunities or requirement to learn French or vice versa as you.
Indeed you are correct. And if thats how I made myself sound, I correct myself. I meant to say anyone who refuses to learn the other language in a situation where it could benefit them (or even those around them).
3juggs wrote:In a perfect world every Canadian would be bilingual but we don't live in a perfect world,
In a perfect world, there would be no wars, no accidents, no medical deaths, no job losses, no food shortages, no pollution problems, no risks, no rewards, etc. And that would be a very boring way to live would it not?
3juggs wrote:The language laws were put in place with good intentions, to preserve french but they are a double edged sword that probably weren't fully thought threw in respect to how they would affect us everyday when applied to aviation safety. I don't really care what anyone says on this forum in favor of French on the radio, no one can convince me that it is perfectly safe.
Flying isnt perfectly safe!! Regardless of language. Anything you do in life is NOT perfectly safe!! Except maybe for dying.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

If you cant accept the risk, why are you flying?
small penguin, you truly don't have a clue about the subject of flying.

I have flown in about fifty different countries using different languages and obviously accepted the risk, by the way every one of them were using English as their means of communication when talking to foreign aircraft.

By the way do you have your PPL finished yet?

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
valvelifter
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by valvelifter »

small penguin wrote:It is. My point was anyone trying to blame language for safety, has issues.
Oh yeah?

Have you read some of the stories on this thread yet? Are you comfortable with people saying they have no clue what another pilot is saying, or that some aircraft in your circuit pattern cannot communicate with you?

It's plain ignorance if you ask me. Aviation involves excellent communication skills and there have been air disasters blamed solely on miscommunication.

I seem to remember from a previous post that you are in some IT-related business. It doesn't surprise me as our company once claimed that the biggest problem with our IT support was the poor communication with the help desk.

He who laughs last will laugh the hardest
hawkerdriver
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by hawkerdriver »

Ok you're point is the safety, i come we all see (discovery channel) a mid air collision ,not only one and both crew speak english.Why they all speak the same langage an it is not safe???????????????

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

Any pilot that relies solely upon his comm radio to provide safety is a fool.

ski_bum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ski_bum »

small penguin wrote:
ski_bum wrote:Safety is number one in aviation right? In the end we all want to get home every night. Having two languages on the radio in the end could result in an accident taking place.
Yes, it could. Just like anything else in this world could cause an accident. Pilot error, weather, mechanical, etc. In the end, you all want to go home, but you all have to accept that there is that possibility that you WONT go home, someday. If you cant accept the risk, why are you flying?
I accept the risk that one day I may not come home, but I am trying to do every possible thing that I can to make sure I do... This is why I put enough fuel in my tanks, do a good walkaround, check weather, familiarize myself with where I am going before I head out. But none of this matters if I can't understand a call from someone who I think may be in my vicinity, or may be a conflict, especially in IMC... In VMC I still have a fighting chance of picking you out before its too late.

small penguin wrote:
ski_bum wrote:For me flying in northern Quebec, I might as well turn my radio off as I have no clue where anyone is because I can't understand French. I don't do this, I cross my fingers that I may pick up something from a position report, but I'm trying to prove a point.
If you feel you must shut off your radio, then go for it. You're allowed to fly nordo in uncontrolled. If flying with the radio off - or on, and not understanding French calls - makes you uncomfortable, then again, either learn the language, dont fly there, or stop complaining and suck it up.
Maybe I should learn French? Maybe you should just speak in English? Maybe we should open up 126.70 to all languages, after all we live in Canada, we don't like to step on anyones toes... Sucking it up is what's being done by the most of us, complaining about it maybe what you think were doing, but I don't see it as that. All I hope that if your speaking French, and you hear someone speaking in English on the radio, you have the courtesy to speak in English so we know what's going on...

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

All I hope that if your speaking French, and you hear someone speaking in English on the radio, you have the courtesy to speak in English so we know what's going on...
Exactly:

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
small penguin
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by small penguin »

valvelifter wrote:
small penguin wrote:It is. My point was anyone trying to blame language for safety, has issues.
Oh yeah?

Have you read some of the stories on this thread yet? Are you comfortable with people saying they have no clue what another pilot is saying, or that some aircraft in your circuit pattern cannot communicate with you?

It's plain ignorance if you ask me. Aviation involves excellent communication skills and there have been air disasters blamed solely on miscommunication.

I seem to remember from a previous post that you are in some IT-related business. It doesn't surprise me as our company once claimed that the biggest problem with our IT support was the poor communication with the help desk.
Therefore, you are saying that you'd be very uncomfortable flying NORDO (as a GA assuming) You're also saying that you can give me a fairly hefty list of 'air disasters' where the primary cause of the accident was a language barrier.

Yes, I work in IT. I manage networks and servers. Im glad to say I've never worked (or will work) a help-desk. Thats not IT. Thats customer relations.
Hedley wrote:Any pilot that relies solely upon his comm radio to provide safety is a fool.
Exactly. How many posts have you guys made crying out for people to use transponders so you can see them on your PCAS/TCAS. How many of you look out the window while flying (assuming VFR) If you're IFR, you're life is in the hands of the controller watching over you. That another aircraft speaks another language you dont understand, the controller does. Sometimes you have to sacrifice layers of security.
ski_bum wrote:I accept the risk that one day I may not come home, but I am trying to do every possible thing that I can to make sure I do... This is why I put enough fuel in my tanks, do a good walkaround, check weather, familiarize myself with where I am going before I head out. But none of this matters if I can't understand a call from someone who I think may be in my vicinity, or may be a conflict,
What about learning the language that is used by some to communicate in the area where you are flying? I'd think that'd be an good way to help improve safety. Would you fly everyday in Germany without learning German? Heck would you drive, or live in Germany without learning German?
ski_bum wrote:Maybe I should learn French? Maybe you should just speak in English? Maybe we should open up 126.70 to all languages,
Yes, maybe you should learn French. Whats the harm?!? And no, 126.7 is open to the official languages of Canada. English and French. Theres no need for more, there's no need for less.
ski_bum wrote:All I hope that if your speaking French, and you hear someone speaking in English on the radio, you have the courtesy to speak in English so we know what's going on...
At an ATF or an maybe even MF, I can understand that request. Heck even on 126.7 But in controlled airspace, theres no need. Pilots talk to controllers, controllers talk to pilots.

Commercial pilots have a lot of tools helping them avoid conflicts. A controller looking at a radar screen, a TCAS system in the plane, their eyes looking out the window, and their ears listening on the frequency. You're all complaining about the radio. Does this mean you folks feel uncomfortable in uncontrolled airspace west of Quebec where the radio is in English but there's no controller to give you warnings?

middle marker
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by middle marker »

Ticasse,
You are forgetting about the ICAO rules, "English is the primery langual spoken at all Internationally classified airports." So no Lufthansa pilots speak english at Frankfurt.
Indonesian pilots speak english in Ujung Pandang.
Greek Pilots speak english in Athens.
Saudi pilots..well you get the message.
It is all about situational awareness which in turn is about flight safety.
It does help to say "good day" in the language of that country or provence..It is something everyone who flies internationally understands and poses no flight risk and is just plain gentlemanly good manners.

niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

Do you guys speak Inuktitut @ Iqaluit? I think you should learn considering that it is more or less an official language there.

She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!
Changes in Latitudes
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Changes in Latitudes »

Niss, aa, Inuktitut Nakurmik!

Igloo 37, landingnuk on runwaytuk two-fourquituyk!

Assunai!

valvelifter
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by valvelifter »

small penguin wrote:You're also saying that you can give me a fairly hefty list of 'air disasters' where the primary cause of the accident was a language barrier.
I misspoke. Perhaps not solely on communication (I am not an air disaster expert but I can maybe dig some up if I had the time) but communication in general was partly behind some of the biggest crashes in history, such as the Tenerife disaster involving two 747s. It wasn't due to a language barrier, but it just shows how important communication is. And if ATC and pilots cannot sometimes understand each other in English, and you throw in a second language, it's a disaster waiting to happen in my opinion.

And YES hats off to the Montreal (and other) traffic controllers who miraculously remember who speaks French and who doesn't. It amazes me how well and how quick they can do that. BUT I do remember a time at CYHU when a controller told me to go-around due to an animal crossing the runway, and the instruction was in French when my communication was done in English. I never saw the animal. But I understood, and went around. When I was pulling up, the controller quickly came back and repeated it in English after realizing I was the English pilot in the circuit! There was no issue there for me, but if I was an American or a pilot who did not speak French, things might have gotten complicated. Imagine if it was a bigger jet coming in faster... These are real world examples of both languages risking safety. You will never read these in the CARs or AIM.

He who laughs last will laugh the hardest
ski_bum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ski_bum »

small penguin wrote:
ski_bum wrote:I accept the risk that one day I may not come home, but I am trying to do every possible thing that I can to make sure I do... This is why I put enough fuel in my tanks, do a good walkaround, check weather, familiarize myself with where I am going before I head out. But none of this matters if I can't understand a call from someone who I think may be in my vicinity, or may be a conflict,
What about learning the language that is used by some to communicate in the area where you are flying? I'd think that'd be an good way to help improve safety. Would you fly everyday in Germany without learning German? Heck would you drive, or live in Germany without learning German?
If I was moving to Germany, yes I would learn German. If I moved to Quebec, I would learn French... etc etc.

small penguin wrote:
ski_bum wrote:Maybe I should learn French? Maybe you should just speak in English? Maybe we should open up 126.70 to all languages,
Yes, maybe you should learn French. Whats the harm?!? And no, 126.7 is open to the official languages of Canada. English and French. Theres no need for more, there's no need for less.

small penguin wrote:
ski_bum wrote:All I hope that if your speaking French, and you hear someone speaking in English on the radio, you have the courtesy to speak in English so we know what's going on...
At an ATF or an maybe even MF, I can understand that request. Heck even on 126.7 But in controlled airspace, theres no need. Pilots talk to controllers, controllers talk to pilots.

Commercial pilots have a lot of tools helping them avoid conflicts. A controller looking at a radar screen, a TCAS system in the plane, their eyes looking out the window, and their ears listening on the frequency. You're all complaining about the radio. Does this mean you folks feel uncomfortable in uncontrolled airspace west of Quebec where the radio is in English but there's no controller to give you warnings?
All I am trying to get at is "AIRMANSHIP" for the same reason I don't blast people on a ramp when I am taxiing away, let planes go ahead of me when I am not in a rush, and just plain old think of others out there doing the same job that I am doing. Common courtesy would tell me if I was speaking french on the radio and heard someone in English clearly not from around the patch bombing around, maybe I should speak in English too? If you don't agree with that, well then don't give me shit when we have a close call sometime... or I challenge you to this... Fly into uncontrolled airspace in Northern MB speaking French pretending you don't understand english, your ballon knot will be so tight you won't shit for a week... This is how we feel when we fly into Quebec.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Ski-Bum:::

You are wasting your time trying to reason with small penguin, especially when it comes to using the word " airmanship " when discussing things with him/her.

To understand the meaning of airmanship you first must understand the basics of flying, go back and read the posts this gem has written here. :smt040

ski_bum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ski_bum »

I have to agree with you Cat...

Common courtesy and respect is Airmanship, I respect that this country is bilingual, however just like everything there is a time and a place...

Return to “General Comments”