Flying the Montreal Sightseeing Circuit?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

iscooter
Rank 0
Rank 0

Flying the Montreal Sightseeing Circuit?

Post by iscooter »

I'm a US pilot that will be flying to Les Cedres (CSS3) airport in a few weeks. While there, I'd like to fly the Montreal downtown sightseeing circuit (as published on the VTA).

I've never flown in the Montreal area before.

What I'm thinking is as follows:

Depart Cedres heading ENE, and contact Montreal Terminal. Ask them to fly between Dorval and Mirabel (along Laval shore). Once on the east side of Montreal, I'd ask for the sightseeing circuit.

I'd appreciate any advice from folks who have done this before. In particular:

1) Does the route sound reasonable (esp. since I'd rather avoid flying around to the south shore over St Hubert)?

2) What is the correct terminology to use, so the controllers will understand what I want?

3) Any special procedures to follow?

4) Anything else?

Thanks,
Scott.
---------- ADS -----------

THEICEMAN
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Flying the Montreal Sightseeing Circuit?

Post by THEICEMAN »

Depart Cedres heading ENE, and contact Montreal Terminal. Ask them to fly between Dorval and Mirabel (along Laval shore). Once on the east side of Montreal, I'd ask for the sightseeing circuit.
No need to do that. Just go directly east from Css3 & ask Trudeau Tower for a Ville-Marie Circuit.
Enter the circuit by going directly downtown then follow.

You may want to turn around when your over the olympic stadium, which is a big concrete arch structure. You can't miss it.
Try to get a copy of the Canadian flight supplement "CFS", when you get to CSS3. Laurentide aviation should some to sell. It gives more details..

PM me if you want more info....enjoy your visit to beautiful Montreal :wink:

Asking a pilot about what he thinks of Transport Canada, is like asking a fire hydrant what does he think about dogs.
Stick Shaker
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Stick Shaker »

And don't forget to call 1-877-YUL-CODE for a transponder code before you go, or you'll have to stay out of class C airspace...

iscooter
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by iscooter »

Stick Shaker wrote:And don't forget to call 1-877-YUL-CODE for a transponder code before you go, or you'll have to stay out of class C airspace...
Interesting...I can't get a code in the air *before* entering the class C? I figured I could just radio Montreal terminal, ask them for the "tour", and they'd give me a code and a clearance to enter.

Of course, I have no problem using the phone to get one...

Thanks,
Scott.

P.S. I used to live in Montreal for several years, but that was before I learned to fly, so I'm familiar with the landmarks, but only from the ground.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

You could but in the PRO section of our Supp, it tells you to contact them for a code prior to take off...

Going for the deck at corner
Louis
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Louis »

You're taking a gamble if you don't call before for the code.

I didn't fly out of Cedars yet, but I did get to do some traffic reporting out of St-Hubert. So keep that in mind when reading the following.

You could follow A-20 all the way to Turcot and enter the circuit there. Exit by going to the A-13/A-20 exchange (or vertical of the airport) then along A-20 going west.

Or, cross on the South shore near Beauharnois, following the St-Lawrence to the Mercier bridge to enter and exit the circuit.

Communication with ATC is key here. Same if you want to see something outside of the default circuit.

Goodbye,

Louis

Return to “General Comments”