Peninsulair locked out at CYHM by Tradeport!

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

hazatude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Peninsulair locked out at CYHM by Tradeport!

Post by hazatude »

At 0700 this morning this exact thing happened. Police were there along with airport security. The story is developing and once the Peninsulair lawyers get at them Monday morning, things may change.

In the mean time if you have any business with Peninsulair, leave me a message here and I will forward it to the appropriate parties.

Thanks for your patience in this matter,

Greg Haza
Peninsulair Ltd.
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by hazatude on Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Changes in Latitudes
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Tradeport locking out Peninsulair at CYHM???

Post by Changes in Latitudes »

Wow...someone's going to be proven to be extremely greasy here.

Did Peninsulair not pay its bills or is Tradeport running them out of town for no reason?
Either way I hope things work our for the Peninsulair team.

Last edited by Changes in Latitudes on Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ... »

I'm sorry Haza...if you can't beat 'em...join 'em.

Although your passion is/was compelling for a proper resolve amongst gentlemen...you still gotta eat.

Next time you need help...come down to Barton & Sherman...I know a guy that knows a guy that loves to resolve things 'ole school' way...(for the right price). :wink:

Chin up, there is always a better day 'demain'...

Skyanide
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Skyanide »

Sorry to hear about this, bro. Chin up, hope it gets worked out soon.

Matt Scott

hazatude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by hazatude »

I can't say too much here but Tradeport has made it quite clear that they do not want General Aviation in Hamilton.

flyingdan
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flyingdan »

:( great day for my first x-country too

I knew I shoulda grabbed my PTR and log book on Friday

Driving Rain
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Driving Rain »

Now I didn't go to one of them fancy law schools, but let me tell ya bout my kind of lawyer-in.
I find out where ya live and ya know that little yellow dog your daughter loves so much?..... :chain: :shock: :lol:

deflux
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by deflux »

Is there an e-mail address for Tradeport that you know of where we can express our concerns?

hazatude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by hazatude »

flyingdan wrote::( great day for my first x-country too

I knew I shoulda grabbed my PTR and log book on Friday
They are safe Dan. Hold tight and we'll take care of things.

hazatude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by hazatude »

deflux wrote:Is there an e-mail address for Tradeport that you know of where we can express our concerns?
If you would like to voice your concerns regarding Tradeport's unfair treatment of General Aviation at CYHM, please contact:

Mailing Address:
Hamilton International Airport Limited
9300 Airport Road, Suite 2206
Mount Hope, Ontario L0R 1W0
Attn. Frank Scremin

or

fscremin@flyhi.ca

or call

905-679-1999 ext. 224

Four1oh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Four1oh »

Is there more details forthcoming for those of us out of the know?

Drinking outside the box.
hazatude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by hazatude »

I will post details in this thread when they come in.

yem
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by yem »

Well that just sucks ... wonder what's going to happen to all the guys half way through training ...
Tradeport is definately not playing very nice ...
Getting rid of general aviation and the only flight school on the airport, next the 447 wing and who knows what else ... anything that doesn't bring them enough money will eventually disappear ... What a shame.

Yem.

WingsUpWheelsDown
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by WingsUpWheelsDown »

Tradeport certainly isn't "feeling the love"...lol.. I'm just a flight test away from my Commercial and looks like Buttonville is the closest with a Piper that can spin....really don't feel like jumping to a Cessna right now! I'm hoping that PenAir resurfaces today with a bit of time..but with those huge CargoJet 727's peering over the hangar...one does get a sense that there's a new tenant ready to move in and there was absolutely no chance for any deal. It's a shame. Hamilton without a flight school, sight seeing flights or small aircraft rentals...talk about Samson and Goliath!

yem
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by yem »

Well, good luck for your commercial lisence .. I'm myself halfway through the "night rating".
Hopefully they'll settle with an agreement allowing students to finish what they started.

PA31 Driver
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by PA31 Driver »

It's a sad sad day !! & i hope this matter gets resolved with Tradeport....

I'm willing on helping out where i can for those of you that need/want ( or wants to finish ) an IFR rating ... group 3

" Remember people ...we're livin' the dream ! "
yem
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by yem »

Well, here is some news guys ...
http://www.thespec.com/article/460465

hazatude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by hazatude »

yem wrote:Well, here is some news guys ...
http://www.thespec.com/article/460465
Thanks for that.

Peninsulair loses dogfight
TheSpec.com - News - Peninsulair loses dogfight
Flying school locked out of hangar at Hamilton airport

By Steve Arnold, The Hamilton Spectator
Hamilton’s only flying school has been shot down in flames.
Peninsulair, which has been teaching commercial and weekend pilots to fly since 1946, was locked out of its hangar at Hamilton airport on the weekend after a 10-month dispute over its lease.
The action grounds the hopes of up to 100 student pilots who were studying with the school.
“We’ve been negotiating with them since the beginning of the year and we finally reached a point where neither side was in a position to continue,” said Hamilton airport spokesperson Steve Howse. “We’re very disappointed. It’s unfortunate that we couldn’t come to an agreement with them but in the end we had to act in the best interests of managing the assets.
“We think we did everything we could to keep them and it’s unfortunate that it had to end this way,” he added.
Peninsulair, operated by brothers Rick and Marty White who took it over from their father Glenn, got its start in 1946 when Hamilton airport was still located in the east end of the city. When that field was closed to make way for post-war housing, Glenn White moved his school to the former RCAF station at Mount Hope, where he also served as part-time airport manager.
The company operated from a hangar it bought from the federal government in 1975 when the building was declared surplus. While Peninsulair owns the hangar, the airport owns the ground its sits on. Hamilton airport is owned by the city, but operated by TradePort International Corp. under a 40-year lease.
In a July interview Rick White said since TradePort took over the operation of the airport, small businesses have been steadily forced out by rocket-powered rent increases -- 250 per cent in the first three months after TradePort took over, 48 per cent five years later and more than 50 per cent in April.
For Peninsulair, those numbers mean rent has gone from $443 a month in 1988 to more than $4,400 a month this year. Rent for similar space at the airports in Brantford, London, St. Catharines and Kitchener ranges between $800 and $1,000 a month.
The company had been operating under a long-term lease it signed with the city in 1988. That agreement expired March 31 and when Peninsulair asked for a 20-year renewal TradePort refused on the grounds it needs the space for expansion. It offered a renewal of only five years, with the right to end the deal on six months' notice.
Negotiations started in January and continued throughout the year with TradePort offering a long-term lease on another airport site, a short term lease on the current location or TradePort would approve a new owner for the business with a realistic business plan.
In an e-mail, Rick White accused TradePort of scuttling his efforts to sell the business. White did not respond to requests for clarification and Howse flatly rejected the allegation.
“We haven’t done anything to jeopardize any deals,” he said. “We have not been formally contacted by anyone interested in negotiating a lease for that site.”
Howse said Peninsulair’s options now are to remove its hangar to another property, sell the business or sell the hangar to TradePort at “fair market value.” That value, he added, will have to reflect TradePort’s assessment that the hangar needs more than $100,000 in improvements before it can be leased out again.
“We couldn’t turn that space around and rent it right again. It’s going to need a fair amount of investment,” he said. “No one is waiting in line to take over this space, but we need it for future airport development.”

sarnold@thespec.com
905-526-3496

ruddersup?
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ruddersup? »

Are you saying that you have a lease with no limits on raising monthly rents?
I have a Transport Canada lease that is very specific on how much they can raise it. It must be inline with market assesment and I can challenge the new rate by getting my own assesment. This can take place every 5 years.
I'll bet your lease says that price increases are based on previous lessor policy. If so this will work in your favour.

joco
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by joco »

Sorry to hear that... (:
joco

Return to “General Comments”