VFR over the top for sea planes?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Bushav8er
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: VFR over the top for sea planes?

Post by Bushav8er »

crazy_aviator wrote:many years ago, a female pilot flying a beech 18 for rusty myers flew on in worsening weather until , at treetops, it was reported by the passengers that she just let go of the controls and gave up flying, the plane crashed into the trees and ALL survived , even with the post crash fire !! Years later, i flew with the same company on a beaver. I had designed a personal IMC approach onto the lake near the float base and tried it ( with GPS) and it worked well. I was able to simulate a blind landing including blind taxi to the floatbase and i put it in my hat to use on a rainy day IF i reallllly messed up and needed to do an instrument approach . She didnt have a back-up ,,, I DID and when i told other pilots about my approach,, they laughed ! Got a problem in the clag , POP up into the clear and pull the ace out of the sleeve or the hat ( In an emergency) and save the day and let the armchair quarterbacks with all the wisdom try to tell you how to fly !!!
OTT, sure why NOT ,,,Safety and options go hand in hand !!
I always had an 'out' too but illegal approaches was never one of them. Decision making and good judgement mean using your options before you need such a 'backup'...and that doesn't always mean returning to base, sometimes it just means taking another route. I know of other pilots that do what you did, one even landed in fog...but consider, as was he's case, a boat on the lake! (he didn't hit it but the fisherman thought he might have to swim)

Flight Training - Forget flying lessons beyond 25 hours...monkeys can fly, include 50 hours of decision making / judgement and attitude training - with exams - fail them and no license (to kill).
---------- ADS -----------

Labour Board
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Labour Board »

Could a IFR certified amphibian aircraft ie. Caravan, Twin Otter, Beech 18 or a Goose take off from Vancouver international IFR on a flight plan to Campbell River (or any other coastal destination) once on top request visual on top to another destination as long as enough fuel is carried for a alternate and cancel when VFR? would this be a better solution then VFR/OTT?

Patrick_Swayze
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Patrick_Swayze »

Anythin is better than what C A had to say.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

crazy_aviator wrote: I had designed a personal IMC approach onto the lake near the float base and tried it ( with GPS) and it worked well. I was able to simulate a blind landing including blind taxi to the floatbase and i put it in my hat to use on a rainy day IF i reallllly messed up and needed to do an instrument approach .
:shock:
sheephunter wrote: Coming down through 3000' / 500' ceilings isn't one of them under any circumstance especially if you're picking up ice. So, yes if it actually meets VFR / OTT conditions and have the rating I'm for it.
Aren't you supposed to remain out of cloud for VFR OTT? Climb VFR to cruising altitude, cruise on top and descent VFR?

Going for the deck at corner
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: VFR over the top for commercial sea planes?

Post by Cat Driver »

I should have limited this discussion to commercial operations.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
viccoastdog
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by viccoastdog »

Patrick Swayze wrote:
It might seem ok until the one lone vacuum pump you have in your float plane packs it in and you are over a 3000' layer that hangs down to 300' agl
That's why even basic CPL curriculum has partial panel training. (I am aware that the Beaver, obviously a very common floatplane, was originally all vacuum instruments, but many have an electric TC now).
OTT not a good idea for seaplanes
Then by your analysis is isn't a good idea form ANY plane, land or sea.

We're talking VFR OTT not IFR, so only the legal VFR OTT weather requirements and forecasts should be applied to this discussion. A lot of the scenarios mentioned in previous posts such as floatplanes taking off from YVR IFR and going VFR later are not relevant to this topic. And I would say the same for descending through a 3000' overcast, and possibly freezing, layer to break out 500' above the ground/water: floatplanes are not typically going to be that high to start with, let alone above a freezing layer.

We can split hairs down to the molecular level and find something wrong with any regulation if we really try. But pragmatically and viewed in a likely context where VFR OTT (especially commercially) would occur, there are acceptable reasons for having VFR OTT. Just like basic VFR vis and ceiling requirements were pilots may not feel comfortable with 2sm vis below 1000', especially around terrain, a pilot should have their own minima for VFR OTT that might be less than what is written into the CARS.

beaverbob
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by beaverbob »

I don't know what the discussion is about. you cannot fly VFR OTT unless you can see enough of the ground to enable a descent with visual reference to the ground. You cannot predict an engine failure so you tell me what are you flying over the top of if you are able to glide visually to the ground at any given time? How much cloud can you fly over? 4/8, I'd say 5/8 at the most if you want to follow the rules. Look it up in the cars and use your great pilot imagination.
Bob

beaverbob
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by beaverbob »

Another thing, if you plan to use a GPS for emergency descent, you are most likely going to live a short life.
Bob

AlXpat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AlXpat »

Interesting posts, all; keep them coming.

With your experience in the industry, Cat, what do you think?

glorifiedtaxidriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by glorifiedtaxidriver »

crazy_aviator wrote:many years ago, a female pilot flying a beech 18 for rusty myers flew on in worsening weather until , at treetops, it was reported by the passengers that she just let go of the controls and gave up flying, the plane crashed into the trees and ALL survived
Not sure why it matters it was a female pilot but whatever.

I flew on the BC coast for a good number of years and this is one thing that bothered me. VFR OTT is just a part of life out there. Especially in the fall when the sea fog blankets the entire ocean, but the harbours are clear blue. How in the world do you tell anyone they can't get to work when its a beautiful clear day at both departure and destination. If you won't fly over top of fog no-one would go anywhere from september to november on the coast. For the record, I did it and don't agree with it. Popping up through a layer to be in smooth air and sunshine when you know there's plenty of ceiling under you is one thing, but over top of fog is entirely different. I did all I could to take the long way and stay near open inlets and shorelines but its not always possible. Its gonna get somebody some day if it hasn't already. (I'm sure it was a factor in both pasco accidents and the accident at quadra island.) Its a fact of life that vfr ott is done almost every day on the coast and in a lot of cases its perfectly safe, but over fog is just asking for trouble.

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

I always had an 'out' too but illegal approaches was never one of them
Ah, motherhood, baseball, and apple pie ... who can
possibly argue for homemade approaches?

A story for you, boys and girls. There once was an
un-named operator who was flying over Antarctica, and
one of the pilots noticed a particularly large, level expanse
of ice as he was flying over. So, he punched in the lat/long
and created a waypoint.

Then, one day, it happened. I know the law won't allow
it, but it was whiteout city everywhere. So this particular
operator flew to his waypoint, and did a glassy-water
letdown, and touched down blind - and safely - on the
large expanse of ice.

I know the legal beagles here would have preferred that
the aircraft crash after it encountered the wide-spread
whiteout conditions in flight - that would have been much
neater and tidier, and the paperwork would have been in
much better shape.

Thankfully the pilot had different ideas.

Homemade approaches are like teenage sex. Everyone
pretends it isn't going on, but ...

sheephunter
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sheephunter »

ABO - yes you are. I was referring to the statement made by P-S but actually misquoted him. He mentioned 3000' / 300' which is even worse than 500' and definitely isn't VFR conditions. I threw the ice in for good measures as we are getting well into that time of year. I think the question might better be do you agree if you can actually maintain VFR / OTT conditions because if not then it isn't VFR / OTT and is completely another topic. Do you do whatever you can in trying to complete a trip regardless of flight rules? NO

jamesbay
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by jamesbay »

Flying VFR OTT is alot of times safer than trying to pick your way around less than ideal conditions below you provided that reference is maintained to ground, definately not a good idea over unfamiliar territory. I think if it were implemented commercially, an added electric attitude indicator would be a wise idea should the vacuum system fail.

cplanedriver
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cplanedriver »

Hedley you are right on. Keep the "home made idea" in your back pocket and "use it when necessary". Allows you to come to the board here and chip in instead of friends sending condolences to your loved ones... Fly it and shut up....

Fly safe

cpd
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

With your experience in the industry, Cat, what do you think?
AlXpat I will give you my thoughts on this soon when this thread and the other one about flying over the top spools down.

Flying is a learning experience from our first flight to our last flight and reading all these opinions is a learning experience.

By the way would what I think really be of value to you?

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

Fly it and shut up
Indeed. Odd that you can't talk about what keeps you
alive, though, eh?

P.S. I personally think VFR-OTT is high risk. To reduce
that risk it should only be flown by instrument-rated pilots
in IFR equipped aircraft, with current IFR pubs on board, so
that they can easily pick up a clearance for an approach
if the wx is worse than forecast at the destination or
alternate ... especially when pax for hire are carried!

Driving Rain
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Driving Rain »

Just from reading the replies to this and the other thread I've determined that out in the Rocks commercial seaplane operators as well as west coast commercial seaplane pilots are in favour of VFR OTT. Most of the our flat landers on the other hand would choose going IFR instead. I also see why. Our coast brothes and sisters are between a rock and a hard place :roll: . I also see that the TC approval is done for the Coast and mountain ops [just seaplanes] and they don't approve for the flat land ops.
I fly water bombers so we don't have any passenger considerations. Our planes are well equipped both in the avioncs and AHRS. We have a VFR only GPS. This presents a PITA when flight planning as we are limited to airways and airroutes on our longer deployments. Even though ATC knows this [we are centre stored} they still give us direct when it suits them... [it always suits me when they do that 8) ]. I would like to go VFR OTT as it allows me the direct option as well as taking atvantage of winds on our long legs to and from the western provinces especially knowing our destination will be severe VFR when we arrive.
I believe we have the option of applying for the change to our ops spec. I don't know why we haven't, it saves time & money in the long run.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Just from reading the replies to this and the other thread I've determined that out in the Rocks commercial seaplane operators as well as west coast commercial seaplane pilots are in favour of VFR OTT. Most of the our flat landers on the other hand would choose going IFR instead. I also see why. Our coast brothes and sisters are between a rock and a hard place :roll: .
Which brings up the problem that can easily be faced by a single engine sea plane of ending up in a situation where there is no fuel left in the airplane and they have two choices.

(1) Descend through the cloud layer and hope you see something to land on in this life.

(2) Land it up in the mountains that may be poking up through the cloud base.

Driving Rain
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Driving Rain »

When I was young and stupid and long before there was legal VFR OTT in Canada I used to do it all the time in single engine sea planes. I admit I pushed wx all the time. I got away with it. I had a lapsed inrat and felt invincible... didn't we all. What made me stop was I just got sick and tired of scarring the shyt out of myself plus I had a family to consider.
Now that I'm older and I hope a little wiser I wouldn't do it in a single engine float plane for all the tea in China. There are some nice single engine amphib float planes that are very well equipped, I'm thinking of decked out Turbo Beavers and Cessna 208's that I would do it in. But like Hedley said I have a current ATPL and all the charts and plates for when the shit hit the fan. I believe that a functioning auto pilot is required equipment to be legal single pilot IFR. If you did find yourself in a situation where you had to file IFR to wiggle out of a prediciment without the auto pilot your not legal so why do it?

AlXpat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AlXpat »

Cat Driver wrote:Flying is a learning experience from our first flight to our last flight and reading all these opinions is a learning experience.

By the way would what I think really be of value to you?
Well put, and that was my reason for asking. I for myself consider mixing up opinions from experienced workers (hear : the Old School here) with ours (younger folks), to be probably the best way to improve the industry. Our training has been based on aviation's growing safety standards and newer equipment. We have learnt to operate seaplanes from experienced floatplanes operators (and you're one of them, right?). But I also consider some ways of operating could/should be retaught. Improving is good. I'm sure you, as much as I do, think we can both learn from each other, right? Yes, your opinion matter to me, Cat. It's a solid topic.

Now, am I wrong thinking that specific question about VFR OTT aims Coastal pilots more specifically?
Although am open to it, in some cases, one thing is clear to me : there is no way to make flying over solid fog in a SE safe, if there is no way to confirm there is adequate room underneat the layer to pick your spot, and land. Will that stop seaplane operations on the Coast from September to November, and should it?

Return to “General Comments”