Change you can believe in !!!????

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

safetywatch
Rank 2
Rank 2

Change you can believe in !!!????

Post by safetywatch »

And its only taken 3 years - I hate to rush them, after all it might cause TC senior management a lot of undue stress!!

Aviation under review

By Tracy Holmes - Peace Arch News

Published: November 20, 2008 4:00 PM
Updated: November 20, 2008 5:13 PM

Transport Canada is exploring how it can “further improve Canada’s already enviable aviation safety record,” in light of the recent report into the January 2006 death of pilot Edward Huggett.

But the agency’s Rod Nelson could not say exactly how that may translate into tangible change.

“We’ll have to see what happens with the review,” Nelson said Tuesday. “We’re always trying to improve safety.”

Huggett, a White Rock man, died Jan. 21, 2006 when the single-engine plane he was flying for Sonicblue Airways lost power and crashed en route to Vancouver. Cause of the power loss was traced to a snapped turbine blade that caused loss of power to the aircraft.

Two passengers also died in the crash, including a three-year-old.

In his Oct. 14, 2008 report, coroner Willem Van Herk notes a Transportation Safety Board investigation resulted in a recommendation to Transport Canada to require installation of terrain awareness and warning systems (TAWS) in aircraft like that Huggett was piloting.

Nelson told the Peace Arch News last January that the agency has already acted on that particular recommendation. However, Van Herk “noted implementation and compliance have been delayed.”

Nelson now says proposed regulations are expected to go for final comment in the spring.

Regarding a recommended review of the effectiveness of single-engine instrument flight rules, Nelson said statistics show the number of accidents involving the rules has dropped since they were introduced, from an average of 4.3 per year between 1994 and 1995 to 2.1 per year between 1996 and 2006.

Despite that record, “we’re looking at it again,” Nelson said, “to address recommendations by the TSB.”

Recommendations will be submitted to senior Transport Canada management in the spring.
---------- ADS -----------

Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Change you can believe in !!!????

Post by Widow »

Yeah, I was hopeful that the Transport Canada Floatplane Safety Review would actually act on rec's made by TSB and themselves ... such as REQUIRING floatplane occupants to wear a life jacket! But alas, all they concluded was that the "file would be put on hold in deference to other Civil Aviation priorities."

Former Advocate for Floatplane Safety
Chuck Ellsworth
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Chuck Ellsworth »

But alas, all they concluded was that the "file would be put on hold in deference to other Civil Aviation priorities."
Idiots.

The most difficult thing about flying is knowing when to say no.

After over a half a century of flying I can not remember even one trip that I refused to do that resulted in someone getting killed because of my decision not to fly.
SaskStyle
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by SaskStyle »

Widow wrote:Yeah, I was hopeful that the Transport Canada Floatplane Safety Review would actually act on rec's made by TSB and themselves ... such as REQUIRING floatplane occupants to wear a life jacket! But alas, all they concluded was that the "file would be put on hold in deference to other Civil Aviation priorities."
Good idea...but it'd have to be of the type that is inflateable...#1 priority is to get out postcrash...if the cabin is filled with water, the lifejacket will make it very difficult to get out...

Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Widow »

SaskStyle wrote:
Widow wrote:Yeah, I was hopeful that the Transport Canada Floatplane Safety Review would actually act on rec's made by TSB and themselves ... such as REQUIRING floatplane occupants to wear a life jacket! But alas, all they concluded was that the "file would be put on hold in deference to other Civil Aviation priorities."
Good idea...but it'd have to be of the type that is inflateable...#1 priority is to get out postcrash...if the cabin is filled with water, the lifejacket will make it very difficult to get out...
Everyone always says that, but ya know, my husband was wearing a floater coat ... and he got out.

Former Advocate for Floatplane Safety
Youngback
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Youngback »

Kirsten, a floater coat and a life jacket are quite a bit different. The CO2 inflatable life jackets that they use in aviation can get twisted up and caught on stuff pretty easily and are very large when inflated. An inflation at the wrong time in an accident would pretty much seal you in the aircraft. The survival suits and floater coats are a better idea but very inconvenient in the confines of the aircraft. There's a happy medium out there somewhere but we havn't found it yet.

Return to “General Comments”