Pacific Coastal lashes out - today's Globe and Mail

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

West Coast Swell
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Pacific Coastal lashes out - today's Globe and Mail

Post by West Coast Swell »

TSB will appreciate this photo. Good job ... First post. Now that we both know who each others user names are .... be safe for the rest of the winter.
:)
---------- ADS -----------

beechnut
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by beechnut »

I am a 35 year career coastal bush pilot. I have never worked directly for Pacific Coastal Airlines.I highly regard their Management , Pilots and Engineering staff,I would not hesitate to join their ranks .My heart goes out to them all during this mess.I hope that others will see this series of accidents as just that and nothing else. We work in a very very tough enviroment and sometimes accidents happen. Please all fly safe

Chuck Ellsworth
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Chuck Ellsworth »

Well said beechnut.

When my wife and I found out who the pilot was it was like getting hit in the stomach with a sledge hammer....I still can't believe it.

The most difficult thing about flying is knowing when to say no.

After over a half a century of flying I can not remember even one trip that I refused to do that resulted in someone getting killed because of my decision not to fly.
Airtids
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Airtids »

enbt, that is a beautiful thing.

beechnut: +1

Aviation- the hardest way possible to make an easy living!
"You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace!" Michael Franti- Spearhead
"Trust everyone, but cut the cards". My Grandma.
ScudRunner
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ScudRunner »

the Garmin 296 is the perfect VFR unit with its built in terrain warning and moving map. hard to believe he was unaware of the island infront of him. Very Sad, good on there compitition for not taking that flight.

Human Factor
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Human Factor »

. . wrote:Well said beechnut.

When my wife and I found out who the pilot was it was like getting hit in the stomach with a sledge hammer....I still can't believe it.
I feel the same way, PM was a true gentleman and is missed terribly. :(

Will fix airplanes for food.
_dwj_
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by _dwj_ »

. wrote:the Garmin 296 is the perfect VFR unit with its built in terrain warning and moving map. hard to believe he was unaware of the island infront of him. Very Sad, good on there compitition for not taking that flight.
The height function on a gps (especially a handheld) isn't the most accurate. I've seen mine suddenly change by 100 feet. And it looks as if in this pic the unit doesn't have a very good view of the sky, which probably doesn't help matters.

beaverbob
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by beaverbob »

External antenae on this one

Chuck Ellsworth
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Chuck Ellsworth »

A GPS when used as a situational awareness aid when flying VFR in marginal weather is for azimuth awareness only, vertical awareness is determined by looking outside at the surface of the earth.

Therefore the inaccuracies of the unit in the vertical plane has no bearing on the use of the GPS when flying VFR.

The most difficult thing about flying is knowing when to say no.

After over a half a century of flying I can not remember even one trip that I refused to do that resulted in someone getting killed because of my decision not to fly.
Keepitsafe
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Keepitsafe »

Pasco never pushed its pilots to fly in bad weather from what I've seen and and I can't imagine that has changed. You go to work and when you said no that was that.

That being said however when you are in Bella Bella as an example with a couple of Shorts worth of sports fishermen from Vancouver to be flown out by the Gooses and Beavers (normally the floatplanes depart just minutes apart in a group of three or more to the same destination) and this is the second day they have been weathered out the pressure to go is felt by the pilots as you want to complete your job of getting these people to where they are going and the flying you didn't do yesterday is added to flying you are supposed to do today.

You also know it is costing the company a lot of money to fly back and forth from Vancouver in the Shorts or Saab with the less than happy fisherman.

You are also getting paid by the mile however at Pasco you still got paid the mileage for the whole trip if you turned around and came back and even then I don't think that has much bearing on whether a pilot decides to go or not.

Some pilots take the personal pressure to fly better than others and I've seen a few go when all others said no. When that pilot makes it in and out now you start to question yourself whether you made the right decision not to go. I have then gone in this situation at several different companies (it happens at them all from what I've seen and heard) and regretted it - I have also gone and found the weather to be OK as well. You just never really know till you are out there in it if there is no weather stations along the route. The important thing is to have a plan B and always be able to turn around as soon as the weather falls below VFR even if your buddies keep on going or just don't go when you don't personally think you'd be safe. And don't depart in below VFR conditions. Sounds simple but its not when you feel your job, reputation or your date later that night is on the line.

VFR weather as far as I understand it is 2 miles visibility below 1000 feet agl and 300 feet from any obstacle - I take that as a 300 foot ceiling, please correct me if I am wrong.

It is illegal to start on a flight if the weather is below and forecast to be below that as per most operations manuals. Special VFR is approved in most ops manuals for ops in a control Zone when the weather is below 1000 foot ceiling and less than 3 miles - approval given by ATC down to 1 mile visibility while in the zone only. As soon as you leave the control zone you are flying illegal if the weather is less than 2 miles visibility flying below 1000 feet, something that is conveniently forgotten by a few eager to go pilots all winter on the West Coast. Some have the 1 mile limit with the extra training - a bs loophole really.

This crash has effected me greatly, the pilot was one everyone knew as a real gentleman. I feel that the weather that day was a factor, and like some of the posters above said accidents do happen in this challenging environment - I just hope that all VFR pilots on the coast will now be quicker to say NO I WONT GO UNTIL IT IS LEGAL VFR as per the company operations manual.

My beef with Transport Canada is that they sit up in their offices on top of the fog and watch floatplanes break the CARs by flying on top all winter - illegal even if it is in your ops manual because you CANNOT land in VFR conditions and fog is in the forecast. I've heard pilots talk of landing on instruments through the fog - good luck when your engine driven vacuum pump is no longer available so you are on partial panel, you aren't instrument rated or haven't flown IFR for a long time, you are suddenly thrown from a visual to an instrument situation with little warning and you can't see the water to flare as you fall like a rock with the extra drag of the floats. Some guys actually think they can pull this off. Or they think the chances are slim because they are behind a turbine. The pressure to fly is huge because its almost garunteed there will be a pilot on line that day that is willing to do it - every winter. Correct me if I am wrong on this. Talk about playing God with your unsuspecting passengers lives. My wish is the media gets a hold of this little bid of info THAT FLYING OVER THE FOG is not legal or safe so that passengers can be educated and report these unsafe practices.

On last thing that no one has mentioned is why didn't this aircraft have a SPOT onboard - a little unit that sends the GPS position to a Satellite so the position of the aircraft can be tracked so when it crashes you can narrow down the search. They are super cheap (I think 200 bucks a year) and every operator in Canada should be required to have one. The first Goose crash took awhile to find and this little unit would have saved a lot of time. Its not like an ELT that can be destroyed and not work - it gives the position every so many minutes so if it is destroyed at least it gave a position a few minutes ago.

Below is the weather along the route the day of the most recent Goose crash. Coastal pilots know the airports are often worse than over the water. Sometimes they are better. Again you don't know till you are out there or someone comes back with a pilot report. If you are the first to go along a certain route you are on your own. A phone call to other pilots along the route however - say up to Sechelt, just a few miles from the crash, the pilots would have said its crappy - they didn't turn a prop all day as far as I've heard.

According to the CADORs the flight departed at 1812 UTC. Not sure how a Special VFR was even given for the departure in less than a mile. Perhaps someone can answer that for me.

Vancouver

SP 17/11/2008 18:27->
SPECI CYVR 171827Z 00000KT 5/8SM BR SCT120 BKN220 08/ RMK
AC3CI1=
SA 17/11/2008 18:00->
METAR CYVR 171800Z 00000KT 1/2SM FG SCT120 BKN220 08/08 A3004
RMK AC3CI2 SLP174=

SP 17/11/2008 17:33->
SPECI CYVR 171733Z 09004KT 1/2SM FG SCT120 BKN220 08/ RMK
AC3CI2=

FT 17/11/2008 17:06->
TAF AMD CYVR 171706Z 1717/1818 10003KT 1/2SM FG OVC120
TEMPO 1717/1718 1SM BR BKN120 FM171800 VRB03KT 2SM BR
SCT005
TEMPO 1718/1719 3/4SM BR FM171900 12007KT P6SM FEW015
FEW120
TEMPO 1719/1720 2SM BR FM180200 14006KT P6SM BKN030
TEMPO 1802/1807 5SM BR BKN020 FM180700 10005KT P6SM BKN030
OVC090
TEMPO 1807/1811 5SM -SHRA BR BKN020 FM181100 10005KT P6SM
OVC030
TEMPO 1811/1816 5SM BR OVC020
BECMG 1816/1818 28010KT RMK NXT FCST BY 171800Z=

Powell River

SP 17/11/2008 18:41->
SPECI CYPW 171841Z 11004KT 1 1/2SM BR BKN003 OVC250 RMK FG2SF6CI0
VIS W 5=
SA 17/11/2008 18:00->
METAR CYPW 171800Z 11006KT 1SM BR OVC002 09/09 A3002 RMK
FG3SF5 VIS W 5 SLP167=

Comox

FT 17/11/2008 17:59->
TAF CYQQ 171759Z 1718/1818 16004KT 2SM BR OVC004
TEMPO 1718/1721 1/4SM FG VV002 FM172100 14010KT P6SM SCT004
BKN030
TEMPO 1721/1806 2SM BR BKN004 FM180600 27004KT P6SM SCT010
BKN030 RMK NXT FCST BY 180000Z=

Captain 152
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Captain 152 »

I agree with almost everything said in the post above but just wanted to correct you on one thing. The Goose did have a GPS tracker on board. After the first Goose crash Pasco bought those units and dispatch could track the position of the aircraft online. When it was realized the Goose was missing, they were able to give SAR the coordinates off the GPS unit, which is why the search did not take very long.

aileron
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by aileron »

Captain 152 wrote:... After the first Goose crash Pasco bought those units and dispatch could track the position of the aircraft online...
To further enlighten, Pasco was in the process of implementing a tracking device prior to SL's accident; an absolutely devastating case of ill-fated timing. Had their known position made a difference, in the first crash, it is too soon to say.

RIP PM: You'll be greatly missed.

Opinion-wise, I will NEVER trust a 121.5 ELT; I never heard a ping in either accident. I hope 406MHz works better.

DA900
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by DA900 »

Widow wrote:What difference does a high pay scale (by the hour or mileage) make if you've been weathered in for five days and have to make the mortgage?
That has to be the most unscholarly comments I have read in a long time.

Rectum, damn near killed 'em
Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Widow »

DA900 wrote:That has to be the most unscholarly comments I have read in a long time.
Why? If I'm missing something, I'd like to understand.

Former Advocate for Floatplane Safety
E-Flyer
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by E-Flyer »

Should passengers regard the airline for saving their lives by choosing not to fly? There seems to be this automatic expectation that just because the planes go faster, they should be able to fly everyday. Do you drive 200km/hr when it's foggy and icey? No you don't.

On the other hand, pilot's should all be assimilated in understanding that when it's unsafe you say NO. There should be no fuss around that, losing jobs, not making your dime, nothing. And to enforce this, some operators need to grow up and transport in my opinion should enforce proper management at all companies to ensure "safety" is an automatic given. Pasco is a good company though, I trying to target the shady operators which have these kinds of crashes on regular basis.

That's my take on it.

Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Widow »

Should passengers regard the airline for saving their lives by choosing not to fly?
My husband (a pax) had declined to fly when the pilot was willing. He had a hunter's ability to smell the weather. But, like some pilots, if he didn't fly, he often didn't work ... and if he chose not to fly with the chosen company, he had to pay his own way. Sometimes, there is pressure on the working passengers as well.

Which only makes the rest of your comments that much more valid.

E-Flyer
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by E-Flyer »

Then there should be a system that makes sure that pilot's are protected when making safety related decisions. And this is completely within the reach of TC to establish. But they don't care I guess. Otherwise, how could they put TSB to work? As sad as it is :(

If you ask me, the operator should pay a big fat bonus to the pilot who knows his shit and is saying no for valid reasons, no?

Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Widow »

I understand there are some operators who have taken that initiative. Kudos to them. Must make an already expensive day that much more expensive.

davidv

Post by davidv »

E-Flyer wrote:Then there should be a system that makes sure that pilot's are protected when making safety related decisions.
Are pilots included in occupational health and safety legislation in BC? (or any other province for that matter?)

Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Widow »

As far as I'm aware, there has been no agreement with any provincial body for this federally regulated workplace.

Pilots are governed by the Canada Labour Code and TCCA OH&S.

Pilots: Stay safe, Know your rights

That being said, it would be interesting to see what happened if a pilot called Worksafe BC to Report Unsafe Work

Return to “General Comments”