Canada signs deal for CP-140 Aurora life extension

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Canada signs deal for CP-140 Aurora life extension

Post by Nark »

My ears perked up when JMSDF (Japanese Maritime Self Defense Force) was mentioned.

I was hoping you were going to link this :

US-2

Great bird. Can loiter for, just a little while...
---------- ADS -----------

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Semper Fidelis
“De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites"-
Do not wish death for your enemy, plan it.
Double Wasp
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Double Wasp »

[quote][What about a Q400 or a Global Express

covered in other threads. They are not really suitable replacements./quote]

Could you put up a link for these other threads.

I think the Q400 would be a great platform. Australia, Japan, Canada (under nasp) and others already use Dash8's for maritime surveillance. Conair modified one for the French as an air tanker. I would say that this is a proven platform, with similar speed, and the ability to loiter. It could not be that hard to be modified to drop buoys (and other stuff) from. If you can do it in an electra why not in a Q400.
DW
p.s. I do know the difference between a 140 and a electra I just used the reference to point out that they would both be a modified civillian design.

When it stops leakin oil then you worry.
Spokes
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Spokes »

Double Wasp wrote:
[What about a Q400 or a Global Express

covered in other threads. They are not really suitable replacements./quote]

Could you put up a link for these other threads.

I think the Q400 would be a great platform. Australia, Japan, Canada (under nasp) and others already use Dash8's for maritime surveillance. Conair modified one for the French as an air tanker. I would say that this is a proven platform, with similar speed, and the ability to loiter. It could not be that hard to be modified to drop buoys (and other stuff) from. If you can do it in an electra why not in a Q400.
DW
p.s. I do know the difference between a 140 and a electra I just used the reference to point out that they would both be a modified civillian design.
Hmm, not really sure how to add a link here. But the main problems where Range and endurance were not up to the national requirements. The Aurora can cruise @350-390 kts for as far as 1200nm, then loiter there for 3 or 4 hours prior to returning home.

In addition the P-3 airframe (same as Aurora) had several redundant systems built in that allowed it to accept a certain amount of damage due to combat action and still be effective. I do not know if such things could be built into someting like a q400

Simply stating that since it is a conversion from an airliner to a military plane means that all such conversions are a viable choice is bad logic.

Wahunga!
Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

Spokes wrote:You might want to tell these guys that.

They have been operating jets low level for alot of years.
Is this a Comet?

WJflyer
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by WJflyer »

Doc wrote:
Spokes wrote:You might want to tell these guys that.

They have been operating jets low level for alot of years.
Is this a Comet?
Heavily modified Comet airframe.

Double Wasp
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Double Wasp »

Hey Spokes
As far as the range and endurance is concerned it would be interesting to see what the 737 offers. Range can usually be extended just by adding a few fuel tanks. I know that extra tanks can be put into a Dash the Australians did it for their 300's on their surveillance aircraft. I know that this is in a general aviation (civilian) company however if they can do it I am sure the military can figure out a way to get a bit more distance out of a Dash.
I understand the point on not every airliner can be converted into a piece of military hardware but since Canada already uses the Dash in a military role, I am sure they are not alone either, then it can't be too bad. I know it is a different role but it is still electronic surveillance with jamming capabilities. ( If I am wrong on the job the Dash currently does forgive me)
I think a Dash could be worth looking into, it doesn't hurt in my view that it is Canadian built either. ( I am a little biased ont the last point however)
DW :wink:

When it stops leakin oil then you worry.
PITA
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PITA »

IMHO staying with the same basic airframe is alot cheaper than getting a new type of aircraft.
Secondly if the DND get the Buffalo replacements there considering this will make it 3 different airframes with the same engine/prop combination. Spartan, Aurora, Hurc.
Huge savings just ask the fellas over at West Jet

PITA

SAR_YQQ
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by SAR_YQQ »

CF Dash's (CT-142's) are used for training only.

C-27J and J -Hercs have similar engine/prop combos. The Aurora has similar engine design (just mounted upside down) to the E/H Hercs.

Return to “General Comments”