Summit Air

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Unknown
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Summit Air

Post by Unknown »

edited two times due to the fact I have more class than to assume anything that happened on that night. Maybe give it some time before all you arm chair pilot hero's decide what went wrong that night.
---------- ADS -----------

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

edited two times due to the fact I have more class than to assume anything that happened on that night.
Assuming and wondering what went wrong are two different things.
Maybe give it some time before all you arm chair pilot hero's decide what went wrong that night.
Of course you realize you yourself might be guilty of " assuming " we are all arm chair pilot hero's.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
ftp
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ftp »

godsrcrazy:
WOW i guess i have been out of the north to long. Never thought i would see the day that an ops spec could over ride an MOT rule like 3 miles and 1,000 feet to 1 mile and 200 overcast being legal night VFR.
"SPECI CYCB 130837Z 30014KT 1SM -SN DRSN OVC020 RMK SN1SC7 VIS VRB 3/4-1
1/4"
Well, I read that as 2000' overcast. Anyways, I agree I don't know of an ops spec that can get your night vis minimums that low for VFR.

But, how many times have we all operated into an airport and canceled IFR for a more efficient VFR arrival when they were calling a 1000' ceiling but the airport was clearly visible from 10,000'? Or how may times (for us who don't fly in the north) have we seen an airport from 4 miles back but the vis was below the approach ban, so we reported the field (and actually had the required vis) and continued?

My point is, we weren't there, so while we can speculate on what we think are safe practices and our own methods of staying safe, it's not right for us to make judgments on the crew with such little info.

KAFUFO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by KAFUFO »

Glad to see you'll let these guy's get roasted but no one can say anything about JAZZ

grimey
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by grimey »

people (including mods) said plenty negative about the jazz flight, moron. It got locked by jc when the whole thread turned into nothing but a bitchfest between Doc, Cat, and a few others over who was an idiot because they hadn't had a gear up landing yet.

Of course, you'd have to understand English to know that.

no sig because apparently quoting people in context is offensive to them.
Brown Bear
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Brown Bear »

While I may well not be the brightest :bear: in the forest. Spend more time fishing than flying. But after reading this story twice, it would appear to me that this airplane landed way too early. Perhaps they were both looking out the window? Not much to see.
:bear: :bear:

The best "Brown Bear" of them all!
FL020
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL020 »

whoever wrote about approach bans........think north of 60...???? no bans?

Brantford Beech Boy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Brantford Beech Boy »

FL020 wrote:whoever wrote about approach bans........think north of 60...???? no bans?
sure there is. The only difference north of 60 is that ground viz does not impose an approach ban. RVR and Runwy viz are still governing north of 60.

BBB

"Almost anywhere, almost anytime...worldwide(ish)"
Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

My only memory of Cambridge Bay was my co-pilot eating hot mushroom soup out of a barf bag while we taxied out, the morning after demolishing more alcohol than we should have. The FA stuck her head in the door, witnessed the guy drinking the warm soup from the bag, and promptly lost her breakfast. I was laughing so hard I couldn't taxi, and had to stop! You had to be there.

countryhick
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by countryhick »

Now thats funny!!

swordfish
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by swordfish »

Actually it's totally gross...not to mention the admission of flying while hung-over...

Just another canuck
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Just another canuck »

Now swordfish, don't tell me you've never had a few too many the night before a day of flying... :roll:

Anyway, this thread is about Summit... what's going on the plane? Is it salvageable?

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do.
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover.
Bush Man
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Bush Man »

I heard through the grapevine that Summit was giving their pilots layoffs for Christmas as a result of this incident ....shitty deal

swordfish
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by swordfish »

JAC asked, rather impishly:
Now swordfish, don't tell me you've never had a few too many the night before a day of flying
No. I have never been "drunk" and I hardly drink at all. I mean it.

Double Wasp
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Double Wasp »

Thats because your still like only 12 years old swordfish. Shouldn't jump on people,or call people gross, for not following your lifestyle, its not polite. Now I know your gonna say that drinking and flying is wrong, not arguing with you there buddy but try not to get your knickers all knotted because someone says that they had a drink or to with friends the night before flying. If this does offend you this will be a long and miserable career as a beer after work is probably the norm.

As for the boys at Summit I hope everything works out. This is a good company with owners that care for their people.
Cheers.

Last edited by Double Wasp on Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
When it stops leakin oil then you worry.
Just another canuck
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Just another canuck »

swordfish wrote: I have never been "drunk"
Gotta tell ya, you are missing out my friend...

I like how you put drunk in quotations as well. If we were having this conversations person to person, you probably would have done that annoying hand quotation thing.

Anyway, good on ya... alcohol is the devil.

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do.
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover.
Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

Sorry, my comment about ops specs was a little vague. I had been reading too much on here and forgot that the incident had occured in the dark...My bad.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
Rudy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rudy »

Bush Man wrote:I heard through the grapevine that Summit was giving their pilots layoffs for Christmas as a result of this incident ....shitty deal
The crew involved or others as well? Awful news.

Bush Man
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Bush Man »

Others as well due to loss of contracts, this was going around a few days ago, hopefully things have improved since then....

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/north/story/20 ... plane.html
'The plane is no more for me,' says survivor of Nunavut incident
Montreal, Moncton residents also say they're lucky to be alive
Last Updated: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 | 11:19 AM CT Comments7Recommend17CBC News
At least two passengers aboard a northern flight that missed an airport runway in Nunavut earlier this month say they feel lucky to be alive, but may never fly north again.

On Dec. 13, a Dornier aircraft operated by Summit Air skidded to a halt on the tundra about 1½ kilometres from the airstrip at Cambridge Bay, a remote hamlet in western Nunavut.

All 12 passengers and two crew members escaped with no major injuries, thanks in large part to a quick local rescue effort.

The passengers, most of them workers leaving a construction site in Resolute Bay, continued to Yellowknife, where Summit Air offered them counselling and free flights to their home communities in Southern Canada.

But Sylvain Grimard, who accepted the airline's offer of a free flight home to Montreal, said he broke out in a cold sweat as soon as he boarded a connecting flight in Edmonton.

Grimard said he then got off the aircraft, rented a car and drove for 2½ days to return home.

"I said no, no, the plane is no more for me," Grimard told CBC News in an interview.

A master mechanic, Grimard said he has flown on small passenger planes to reach work sites across Northern Canada and around the world. But after the Cambridge Bay incident, he said he is not sure what he will do.

Rescue effort went smoothly
Fellow Summit Air passenger Dan Gaudet of Moncton, N.B., said he still can't stop thinking about the incident, even two weeks after it happened.

"I mean, not too many people say they were in a plane crash and walk away," Gaudet said.

"They say your life flashes before your eyes. All I … remember was seeing my daughter, holding my daughter for the first time, and watching my wife walk down the aisle. When we hit, that's all I saw."

Gaudet said he was flying home from a five-week stint as a plumber's apprentice in Resolute Bay when the plane went down in Cambridge Bay.

He said the rescue effort went smoothly, and staff at the local nursing station could not have been nicer.

At the same time, Gaudet said he was petrified during the five additional flights he had to take to arrive in Moncton.

He also said he will never fly to Nunavut again because of the Cambridge Bay incident.

"I will never get on a small passenger plane, never, ever, ever, ever again," he said.

"I will never go to work back out there again. No way. No way, no way, no how."

The Transportation Safety Board and Summit Air continue to investigate what caused the plane to miss the runway.

Return to “General Comments”