Summit Air

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

roger.roger
Rank 3
Rank 3

Summit Air

Post by roger.roger »

heard they lost a 228 over the weekend (all walked away) but nothing in the CADORS can anyone confirm.
---------- ADS -----------

I think that if you stick to the dotted lines when making the folds your might have some aviation success.
jet a1
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Summit Air

Post by jet a1 »

heard a rumour about short of the runway in cambay. glad everyone is ok.

rum-runner
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rum-runner »

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/north/story/20 ... light.html

Plane misses runway in Cambridge Bay
Last Updated: Monday, December 15, 2008 | 10:19 AM CT Comments0Recommend1CBC News
Passengers on a charter flight to western Nunavut experienced a rough landing this weekend when the aircraft missed the runway in Cambridge Bay.

A Summit Air charter flight arriving from Resolute Bay landed short of the runway in Cambridge Bay around 1:45 a.m. MT Saturday, an airline official told CBC News on Monday.

None of the 12 passengers or two crew members on board the aircraft were seriously injured, but they were taken to the local health centre to be examined.

Steve Tanton, Summit Air's director of flight operations, said the aircraft was full of construction workers heading home to southern Canada from a northern development project.

Tanton said the passengers were later flown to Yellowknife, and have since left the N.W.T. capital.

"When they arrived back here in Yellowknife, we had counselling set up for them at one of the hotels," Tanton said Monday.

"I personally stayed with them all day until they got onto the jet southbound."

The Transportation Safety Board says it is investigating the incident, along with the RCMP. Tanton said safety board officials are expected to come up later this week.

Changes in Latitudes
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Changes in Latitudes »

Steve Tanton, Summit Air's director of flight operations, said the aircraft was full of construction workers heading home to southern Canada from a northern development project.

Tanton said the passengers were later flown to Yellowknife, and have since left the N.W.T. capital.

"When they arrived back here in Yellowknife, we had counselling set up for them at one of the hotels," Tanton said Monday.
That's a class act right there, I am impressed.

rayban
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rayban »

Glad to hear everyone walked away unscathed. I'm curious to know what the weather was at the time.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

The tantons are fantastic people.. as are all the fine folks I've met from summit.
Glad to hear it turned out the way it did and not worse.

Stay safe out there everyone!

wxguy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by wxguy »

The article said that the it occurred at 1:45am MT, which would make it 0845Z.

METAR Data for CYCB 13 DEC 08

SPECI CYCB 130729Z 27014KT 3SM -SN DRSN BKN013 OVC025 REBLSN RMK SC4SC4 VIS
VRB 2-4
SPECI CYCB 130837Z 30014KT 1SM -SN DRSN OVC020 RMK SN1SC7 VIS VRB 3/4-1
1/4

SPECI CYCB 130933Z 32016KT 5/8SM -SN BLSN OVC020 RMK BLSN1SC7 VIS VRB
3/8-1

wxguy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by wxguy »

And the Cador...

2008/12/15
Narrative: A Dornier 228 with 14 people on board operated by Summit Air Charters, was on approach at Cambridge Bay after a flight from Resolute Bay when the aircraft collided with terrain about 1.5 miles short of the runway. The crew was attempting a night VFR approach. There were no reported injuries and the occupants were picked up by RCMP and people from the local community and taken to the town. The aircraft's ELT activated and was turned off by the crew. TSB Edmonton will investigate and 2 investigators will travel north this week.

P 50
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by P 50 »

Glad to hear it worked out so well. You don't too many get out of jail free passes like that!

godsrcrazy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by godsrcrazy »

Glad to hear no body was injured. Its been a long time since i flew in that area. But if my memory is correct i don't recall anything higher then a couple hundred feet around there. So what were they doing that low at 1 1/2 miles back on a visual approach.

Passengers on a charter flight to western Nunavut experienced a rough landing on the weekend when their aircraft missed the runway in Cambridge Bay.

A Summit Air charter flight arriving from Resolute Bay landed in an icy field about 1.5 kilometres south of the runway around 1:45 a.m. MT Saturday, an airline official told CBC News on Monday.

None of the 12 passengers and two crew members on board the Dornier aircraft was seriously injured, but all were taken to the local health centre to be examined.

"Everybody was safe and sound. There [were] two minor injuries [but] everybody was able to walk away from the airplane," Steve Tanton, manager of flight operations with Yellowknife-based Summit Air, said Monday.

"Within about a total of two hours, I guess, all crew and passengers were taken from the airplane to the nursing station at Cambridge Bay for evaluation, and then they were released within an hour."

Tanton said the Summit Air plane was carrying a crew of construction workers heading home to southern Canada from a northern development project.

The charter flight was en route to Yellowknife, N.W.T., when it flew into Cambridge Bay for a scheduled fuel stop.
Counselling made available

Tanton said the rough landing set off the airplane's transmitter beacon, and a local resident found the downed plane within 40 minutes.

Everyone on board were transported into Cambridge Bay by snowmobile, then flown to Yellowknife later that day on another Summit Air plane, he added.

The passengers have since left the N.W.T. capital, on flights home paid for by the airline.

"When they arrived back here in Yellowknife, we had counselling set up for them at one of the hotels," Tanton said.

"I personally stayed with them all day until they got onto the jet southbound."

Tanton said the voice recorder from the airplane's cockpit is being sent to Ottawa for analysis.

Investigators with the federal Transportation Safety Board are expected to arrive in Cambridge Bay later this week, he added.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Glad to hear it worked out so well. You don't too many get out of jail free passes like that!

:smt017

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Just another canuck
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Just another canuck »

Cat Driver wrote:

:smt017
Ummmm.... yeah. :wink:

Glad everyone's ok.

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do.
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover.
wxguy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by wxguy »

UPDATED CADORS

A Dornier 228 with 14 people on board operated by Summit Air Charters, was on approach at Cambridge Bay after a flight from Resolute Bay when the aircraft collided with terrain about 1.5 miles short of the runway. The crew was attempting a night VFR approach to Runway 31T. The occupants were picked up by RCMP and people from the local community and taken to the town. The aircraft's ELT activated and was turned off by the crew. TSB Edmonton reported that the Summit Air Charters Ltd. Dornier 228-202, C-FYEV, was on a charter flight from Resolute Bay to Cambridge Bay, NU. On final approach to runway 31T, the aircraft collided with the ground approximately 1.5 nm from the threshold. The aircraft was substantially damaged. Of the 14 people on board (2 crew, 12 pax), one flight crew member and one passenger received minor injuries. The flight crew were able to communicate via the aircraft VHF radios to the CARS operator and also via cell phone to advise of the accident. Local search efforts found the aircraft within 30 minutes. TSB will deploy 2 investigators to Yellowknife and/or Cambridge Bay. System Safety has appointed a Minister's Observer for this Class 3 investigation.

Reminds me of the Herc that crashed near Alert in the early 90s due to the black-hole effect.

Just another canuck
Rank 10
Rank 10

Night VFR approach... :?

Why weren't they shooting the GPS approach? At 2 AM with that weather, seems silly not to.

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do.
stuckmike
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by stuckmike »

Please note, I am not jumping to conclusions or pointing fingers or blaming anyone.

I have flown North of 60 for a while, made all of the usual mistakes and even a few very unusual ones.

This could happen to anyone. A little complacency, mixed with a long day (or night), missed altimiter transition, or possibly missed/erroneous cold weather altimeter correction. (you know, the one in the Cap Gen?)

I am just voicing my concerns about vfr approaches at night into strips in the middle of nowhere.

Why not just do the IFR approach? Targets are right there on paper, correct them for your temp, and there is no surprises. Plus, the reason you are flying in the a$$hole of the world is to build time and get back down south. Put that extra .1 in your logbook and smile.

Let's face it, an approach to any airport with the "black-hole effect" is in fact an IFR approach. Even then, circling at minimums at night with terrible weather is not a very fun place to be but smarter people than I have worked the numbers and I'm happy for that.

Good job on the crew to get everyone out and the proper people alerted. Could have been a lot worse.

Insert funny or cool quote here.
roger.roger
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by roger.roger »

Plus, the reason you are flying in the a$$hole of the world is to build time and get back down south. Put that extra .1 in your logbook and smile.
for those of us that choose to fly in the north I gotta say I'm quite offended. Not all of us are working to get to the south, it can be some of the most interesting challenging and rewarding opportunities in an aviation career.

I think that if you stick to the dotted lines when making the folds your might have some aviation success.
Just another canuck
Rank 10
Rank 10

Although stuckmike may have offended you roger.roger, that wasn't the point.... although he was probably speaking on behalf of the majority of the guys that head up there. The point is the crew conducted a Night VFR approach at 2 in the morning with less than a mile vis and blowing snow. We're looking for the why???

godsrcrazy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by godsrcrazy »

Any one that cares to reply i will ask again.

So what were they doing that low at 1 1/2 miles back on a visual approach.

I would also love to see how you get 12 construction works and bags on that leg legally. I wonder how TC will weigh everyone and there bags NOW. ??????

godsrcrazy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by godsrcrazy »

Ok just another canuck now i have to ask how do you do a visual approach in Cambridge bay at 1:30 am in 1 mile of blowing snow wne It is 24 hr darkness there. Might explain hitting the ground at 1 1/2 back they never saw the lights so were is TC

Just another canuck
Rank 10
Rank 10

godsrcrazy...

Well I guess the short and simple answer is you can not...I suppose. I've been to Cambridge a number of times in those exact conditions. OBS the runway and don't go below this altitude... if we came in from YZF, we did the "visual" approach a certain way. If we came from YRB, we did another. It was safe.

Don't know who the crew was or why they did what they did... pretty sure they'll do the full procedure from here on though. It's really too bad about what happened regardless. Summit is full of great guys and that knob was the latest addition to the fleet...I think. I'm really surprised this happened.

Return to “General Comments”