Private airstrips...what are the rules?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

fleet16b
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Private airstrips...what are the rules?

Post by fleet16b »

I have my own private strip. It is not registered with T/C, Flying farmers or anyone else.
As far as who lands there. I am 100% within my right to refuse anyone access to the strip.
Many times I have had to take my tractor and park it in the middle of the strip to keep people from coming in.
My reason for doing this is because of wet conditions being a safety factor. Either way, I can park the tractor there anytime I choose.
Now if someone came in unannounced with engine problems, I would have no problem but to come in for something to do? Sorry no way this is private property so ask first.
You would not believe the amount of people that simply pull off the highway and just start to wander around because they see two or three airplanes sitting there.
I usually go up to them and ask for their keys, when they ask why I tell them I just want to rummage thru their car and see what is in it.
This gets some pretty amusing reactions, some get quite indignant that they have a right to do as they please. It's unbelievable.
---------- ADS -----------

...isn't he the best pilot you've ever seen?....Yeah he is ....except when I'm shaving.........
MUSKEG
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by MUSKEG »

Mag check Come on over unannounced and we will check my theory against your's. Oh and bring your wallet.

mag check
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by mag check »

MUSKEG wrote:Mag check Come on over unannounced and we will check my theory against your's. Oh and bring your wallet.
Please read my post, I said that I wouldn't think about doing it, all I said was that it is illegal to interfere with the operation of an aircraft. The simple fact is that you can't stop an aircraft from taking off or landing. Take it how you want.

Again, I would NOT land at a private field without prior permission, as I'm sure "most" wouldn't.

We're all here, because we're not all there.
_dwj_
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by _dwj_ »

mag check: although I'm not a lawyer and I don't know the exact wording of that rule, I would imagine that it doesn't mean you can't park a tractor on your own property! My guess would be that it would only apply if you deliberately tried to sabotage an aircraft, e.g. by driving your tractor onto the runway when you knew someone was just about to land. I agree with the others here that it is rude to just turn up at someone's private property unannounced. We do fly out to our AME's (unregistered, private) grass strip unannounced, but that's only because he knows us and doesn't mind. But he may or may not feel the same way about some random stranger landing there. It's polite to ask first.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

The most simple and also legal method of preventing unwanted landings on your private strip would be to paint or put large X's at each end of the runway.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Ronner
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ronner »

EngineGuy wrote:Accckkkk this thread is starting to make me want to barf.

So many people talk so much smack... If you are so unfriendly and anti social with your aviation habits why do you even want come to a public forum about aviation.

I find that most people who chase down grass strips to land on are not the squids of the air, and if your strip is not in the CFS how is anyone likely to get your number to call you first.

But then some of you start talking smack by saying I'll put bails out to block your take off or I'll block your plane in with my tractor.... Blah Blah Blah, if I did not want someone on my airstrip I think I would start with a pleasant " sorry sir this facility is private property. Could you please vacate it" But NO!!!! You start right into the shit talk about how hard to deal with you would be.

Any public event or group or forum usually gets equated with the lowest common denominator, and on a friendly scale this one is getting kind of low with some of these comments. Come on guys, your making general threats towards each other for something that has not even happened yet with someone you have not even met.!!!!!!!!!!

I second this. Please do tell us how you want us to contact you so we can ask theses questions............. Would the easiest way not be for me to land and come knock on your door. If I drive up your driveway, park and knock on your door are you going to come block my car in as well. As said before you dont want us there put some X's down. There is no mistake to what that means and it wont stop you from using it plus leaving it open for emergencies. Most people I have met when I just stop in are still quite nice and usually leave you some contact info

mag check
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by mag check »

_dwj_ wrote:mag check: although I'm not a lawyer and I don't know the exact wording of that rule, I would imagine that it doesn't mean you can't park a tractor on your own property! My guess would be that it would only apply if you deliberately tried to sabotage an aircraft, e.g. by driving your tractor onto the runway when you knew someone was just about to land. I agree with the others here that it is rude to just turn up at someone's private property unannounced. We do fly out to our AME's (unregistered, private) grass strip unannounced, but that's only because he knows us and doesn't mind. But he may or may not feel the same way about some random stranger landing there. It's polite to ask first.
Actually, I'm pretty sure that that is what it means.
If it is an "unregistered" runway, then it shoulded be maked as closed with X's if you don't want people landing. If it is a "registered" runway, then you should have a NOTAM filed if you are parking a tractor in the middle of the strip to prevent arcraft from landing.

Last edited by mag check on Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
timexd
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by timexd »

For Engine Guy and all the others that think us landowners as a##holes well let me put it to you this way. My land is private property . If you land on it and then walk up to the house to ask permission you have already trespassed. Secondly, and in my case more importantly, I own very expensive horses that pasture on my little strip. When I want to go flying I move my horses into the corrals so neither themselves or myself get hurt. If you were to land uninvited and unwittingly cause hurt or damage to anyone of my herd, you would own a horse you probably cannot afford. You would also not be able to move you aircraft until that negotiation ceased.

I cannot paint large X's on my land as the strip os grass and my horses just happen to eat grass.

I reiterate that if I recieve a request to come land and to visit the answer is invariably yes. I don't talk smack but I take very seriously the issue of both my privacy and my liability. Sorry this offends you.

MrWings
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by MrWings »

Makes sense.

A private strip is private. It wasn't paid for by taxpayers dollars so why do pilots feel that they have a right to land there? Do you think it is OK to park your vehicles in your neighbour's driveway without permission too?

If you don't know anything about the aerodome to which you are landing, controlled or uncontrolled, do you really think you should be doing it?

mag check
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by mag check »

So, you are saying that as long as the aerodrome is paid for by the public, then anyone can land there? I wonder if the hospitals would complain if I land on their heli pads.

MrWings
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by MrWings »

Is a hospital landing pad for public or private (restricted) use? Of course you know the answer.

mag check
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by mag check »

Of course I know, but you were trying to make a case that a private strip was private because of who financed it. I'm sure my tax money paid for those pads, so your case doesn't stand up.

MUSKEG
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by MUSKEG »

Applying that logic Mag Check why don't you go land at Cold Lake (AFB) and see how far into the wringer your arse goes. You can always claim that your tax dollars helped pay for it so you should be able to use it. Let us know how it turns out ok. Get permission first....... probably be ok. Oh and by the way I wouldn't interfer with your takeoff roll. Get it.

mag check
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by mag check »

MUSKEG wrote:Applying that logic Mag Check why don't you go land at Cold Lake (AFB) and see how far into the wringer your arse goes. You can always claim that your tax dollars helped pay for it so you should be able to use it. Let us know how it turns out ok. Get permission first....... probably be ok. Oh and by the way I wouldn't interfer with your takeoff roll. Get it.
It wan't my logic, it was Mrwing. Please follow the thread, and read my posts.
I completely understand where I can and can't land. The problem is that some others here don't.
Oh and by the way, it is spelled "interfere" not "interfer", and thanks, cause the borer prop can really make a mess of things.

MrWings
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by MrWings »

I wasn't making that claim at all. That was your flawed inference to my post. If you still think that was my intention then you are wrong.

If you know where you can and you can't land then you'll stay off private strips that you have no permission to be on.

Case closed.

MUSKEG
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by MUSKEG »

Sure go for it, I'm sure a bore prop can easily chew through steel and 1 inch thick rubber. I have read your posts and you keep saying no one can interfere with the operation of an aircraft. You can't seem to differentiate between public and private. It's the same attitude that people who run over a farmers crop, cut his fence, and generally make a nuisance of themselves display. (Whats mine I don't give a crap about and whats yours I'll treat it the same)

Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

Cat Driver wrote:
and an unwelcome visit... well just say that 12 guage HP slugs make nast holes in aluminum.
Which in turn would probably result in a charge of dangerous use of a fire arm.

This charge under the criminal code can be brought under indictment, which can result in jail time..
... And probably would not that I would condone such extreme reactions, but one should realise that when one decides to test the theory out that every field is a welcome one, that other people might not think the same way. I am merely pointing out that many of the people who own fields in this country are also ones who own the majority of firearms in this country. I must also say that its been the attitude of a few pilots out there - especially in the general aviation crowd - which have ruined the generally "welcome fields" we used to have.

I should note too that there are many means of dealing with unwelcome airplanes that don't involve the extremes of firearms. They usually involve curious cows, unfortunately placed manuer piles and errant Massey Fergusons. :wink:

We can't stop here! This is BAT country!
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

You all will have to forgive me for not understanding how society got to here.

I was born in Newfoundland and the culture there was and still is vastly different to the attitudes that seem to be so prevalent here.

But I guess us Newfies are just ignorant hicks anyhow.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
mag check
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by mag check »

MrWings wrote:I wasn't making that claim at all. That was your flawed inference to my post. If you still think that was my intention then you are wrong.

If you know where you can and you can't land then you'll stay off private strips that you have no permission to be on.

Case closed.
Hmmm, if you say you read my posts, then I would suggest a trip to your local optomitrist, cause you seem to have a problem with your eyes.
If you note right here,
Again, I would NOT land at a private field without prior permission, as I'm sure "most" wouldn't
You can see that I make my personal stance quite clear.

I also make the same point here:
I'm not saying that I would do that, in fact far from it, as I enjoy my privacy more than most,
So how about actually READING what I write, instead of putting words in my mouth(posts)

Ok, for the guys that seem to have a problem reading, I say t again, I WOULD NOT land at a "private" aerodrome without prior permission.
I think alot of the guys here are the kind that think the water in front of their cottage is their property too, and that planes shouldn't be able to shoot circuits there.

timexd
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by timexd »

Engine Guy,

This is rather pointless. So you live in valuable real estate. Who cares. I only care about my real estate. So your horses are better than my horses okay.....

No anger here, just clear and direct communication. Many people these days don't understand subtle hints so I find that clarity of thought and directness oif communication works best. No room for confusion.

Now about that hug.... :smt008

Return to “General Comments”