Private airstrips...what are the rules?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

mark_
Rank 3
Rank 3

Private airstrips...what are the rules?

Post by mark_ »

Just wondering if anyone know the regs regarding where runways can be on private land in Alberta. There is one near Cochrane that is fairly close to CYBW. If somone has a chunk of land can you just land your plane on it? I'm sure there must be multiple TC hoops to jump through...anyone know the scoop?

Mark
---------- ADS -----------

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Private airstrips...what are the rules?

Post by Hedley »

there must be multiple TC hoops to jump through
Nope. This is one of the best things in Canada - as long as you
are outside of a "populated area" and aren't near an "open air
assemblage of persons" - you can legally take off and land your
aircraft, because there isn't a CAR that says you can't.

Now, local authorities (provinces, towns) are always trying
to legislate aviation, but it's FEDERALLY regulated, something
the locals don't always comprehend.

deflux
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by deflux »

I think if you "prepare" the land for aircraft use (cut the grass, put up a windsock, whatever) you can call it an aerodrome

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

Don't need to cut the grass. If it's used for taking
off and landing aircraft, it's an aerodrome.

Every winter, aircraft land on frozen lakes all
over Canada. One of the most popular winter
fly-ins around here is on the Ottawa River.

mark_
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mark_ »

Great news....I'm surprised but not complaining that the feds make it so easy. What if a guys wants to hangar his plane...maybe call the structure a garage and not a hangar? Come to think of it, he could call the windsock laundry that's hung out to dry too!

Mark

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

It gets better.

Since aviation is federally regulated, a building permit is NOT
required for a hangar, which can be either located on land,
or on a lakeshore (hint hint).

Liquid Charlie
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Liquid Charlie »

Also -- just look at the number of farm strips there are -- Flying Farmers did publish a guide at one time - nothing better than a Sunday afternoon of dropping in on the local farmers -- coffee was always on and political discussion always animated -- the good old days -- :D

Black Air has no Lift - Extra Fuel has no Weight

ACTPA :kriz:
North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

which can be either located on land,
When my employer was re-building one of our docks, there was all sorts of guff from Federal Fisheries about 'destroying fish habitat.' Now, that was on a reserve, so it might be more closely regulated, but I'd think that just building boathouses/hangars might be subject to some regulation?

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
mag check
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by mag check »

North Shore wrote:
which can be either located on land,
When my employer was re-building one of our docks, there was all sorts of guff from Federal Fisheries about 'destroying fish habitat.' Now, that was on a reserve, so it might be more closely regulated, but I'd think that just building boathouses/hangars might be subject to some regulation?
Nope, an aerodrome is an aerodrome. Aren't the fisheries all provincially regulated?
I believe the regs state that even the storing of aircraft parts, or documents would make it an aerodrome.
To me this would mean that as long as you always have your license with you, there is always an aerodrome under you. :smt040

We're all here, because we're not all there.
black hole
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by black hole »

You might want to check with your local municipality. some have banned aerodromes within their boundries. This dosen't mean you can't land your own plane on your own property as long as you don't fly too low over your jellous neighbour; but if your buddy parks at your place, the municipality calls it a business and your out. Just a thought before you spend gobs of money.

BH

pilotguyCANADA
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by pilotguyCANADA »

You can land anywhere as long as your not endangering anyone/thing, damaging the environment, and its not private property. I couldnt legally land on someones farm just cuz its a farm - its just a big back yard really

Beaver Driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Beaver Driver »

There could be insurance issues for the landowner. And there's nothing stoping the aircraft insurer from putting something in the policy to dis-allow it.

As for building a hangar on the lakeshore, you can get permits for lakeshore development, but I've heard it's alot of paperwork if you want to do anything other than a floating dock.

Flying a twin only doubles your chance of having an engine failure
light chop
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by light chop »

I see the COPA website has an article about the Quebec provincial government challenging the exclusive federal jurisdiction over aeronautics. The outcome of this could allow provinces and local jurisdictions to develop policies / by-laws to control private landing facilities - this is bad. We don't need the local governments fu**ing around with this stuff. Time to send more cash to COPA to protect our interests.

By the way, why are some of the average Joe public (and their favorite local politicians) so against airports / private airstrips anyway? Are they just uneducated in these things?

I'd turn every golf course into a beautiful grass aerodrome if I had a choice. (Oops, inside voice).

Intentional Straight & Level Flight Prohibited
timexd
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by timexd »

My land is private property. My little strip is private. I move my horses to another spot on my property when I use my strip. If someone just landed for something to do and ran my horses into the fence.......Well use your imagination.

Call first and you can fly in for coffee, come unannounced and you'll drive home with no coffee.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Call first and you can fly in for coffee, come unannounced and you'll drive home with no coffee.
You would seize their airplane?

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

You would seize their airplane?
No one said anything about seizing the airplane, but once you're outside your airplane, nothing is stopping the landowner from having the Mounties come give you a ride home. You can come get your airplane when you want, assuming you can post bail. Its a matter of technicalities.

We can't stop here! This is BAT country!
MorganAirCFI
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by MorganAirCFI »

The official definition states that all of Canada can be considered an Aerodrome.

MUSKEG
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by MUSKEG »

Just because you have an aircraft does'nt mean you can land wherever you want. My property is not for public use. The liability, and lack of respect most people have for someone elses stuff makes that a non issue. If you land on my private strip without my concent a conveniantly placed tractor and a truck or two will keep you from moving until we have a wee chat. Pull my chain and you can pull the wings and get it out that way. I will not be held responsible in any way for someone pilling it up and because I have a windsock some ambitous laywer decides I'm partly responsible. Once I know who you are and a little on your ability, the coffee is always on.

timexd
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by timexd »

Muskeg.....I like the way you think......

Catdriver, no I would not seize their aircraft but a conveniently parked old JD 4020 or a half dozen or so round bales would make the take off roll unadviseable.

I am perfectly happy to share my little piece of paradise with anyone who asks and shows a basic level of politeness, courtesy, and common sense. I usually find that the people who operate their lives in this manner also usually pose no legal threat to my tranquilty.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

timexd it was not my intention to insult you, I was still thinking that nothing would have changed from when I was young and first started flying in Southern Ontario, a time when you could land at any farmers strip and be welcomed and no one ever considered calling the police..because people were different back then.

So I apologize if I offended you.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.

Return to “General Comments”