AB Government planes flying empty..

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Severe Clear
Rank 2
Rank 2

AB Government planes flying empty..

Post by Severe Clear »

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Life/Gov ... story.html

What are peoples thoughts on this??
---------- ADS -----------

sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: AB Government planes flying empty..

Post by sky's the limit »

"Good grief Jim, we can't beam you down to that planet.... There's not a hanger for the Enterprise in this system..."
Efforts to reduce deadhead flights are hindered by rules regarding the operation of the aircraft, he said. The planes don't stay overnight in communities where there aren't hangars and often have to return to Edmonton for maintenance, he said.

stl

planett
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by planett »

Heaters, cords and glycol............problem solved.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

-

Last edited by altiplano on Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobcaygeon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by bobcaygeon »

I say give me a break

The Dash 8 is so old that when they got it (new)there wasn't even a sim for it yet.

The king air fleet was just replaced. The previous 200's were early 80's vintage which is old anywhere but Canada and Africa (lots of time related inspections). To give you an idea of their value, one went to Transwest (need I say more)

Give our leaders the tools to make informed decisions (an airplane allows them to spend more time in meetings and less on highways and in security lines)

"Informed leaders sometimes make bad decisions, uninformed leaders almost always make bad decisions"

IMHO

dashx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by dashx »

Dash 8-103 SN 317 Feb 1982. Gov't of Alberta since new......

Enjoyed working on that A/C on a project recently. Also enjoyed talking to the pilot. Same pilot that was originally an AME on it.

Only Dash 8 with a baggage door that opened from the inside. How's that for handy?

Floor boards and the seats covers looked like they came from a Dash 7 (old and dated). But it sure was mint inside.........

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Personally, I would like to see the Gov Gen and Lt. Gov Gens GONE. No justification for them in a modern society. If we have to put up with them, public travel only. How do these people not feel embarrassed at being leeches on the rest of us?

The AB government fleet does seem poorly managed in terms of scheduling and capabilities. While there are times in AB when it's hangar it or high-tail it, these are the exception rather than the rule. Perhaps someone with a little real world operational experience needs to go do a little consulting and give them a hand with their operations. And send whoever does their scheduling over to the Kal-Tire flight department, now there is a bunch that understand efficient operation.

The acquisition side has been handled very well though. The timing was good on the purchase of the new King Airs, and the old ones were definitely in need of replacement. It must have been tempting to buy some light jets instead as the price of new King Airs is exorbitant, but people would have gone bananas over it no matter how much more suitable a jet would have been. Good politics to stick with turbo-props, it's just too bad the new ones are so heavy. I would not have been surprised to see the old dash 8 replaced if things were doing better in AB but they will just have to keep it going a while longer.

Return to “General Comments”