The personal log book thing.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: The personal log book thing.

Post by digits_ »

photofly wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:27 am If that’s the hill you want to die on, it doesn’t say specifically you have to be *on* the flight at all. So perhaps you should be asking if it means you have to log every single flight in the whole world, ever. Including the ones that happened before you were born. I think that would keep you pretty busy.
That only proves my point futher really.

Try to make such conclusions based on the interpretation that only flights necessary to prove your recency need to be logged. I'm fairly confident you won't be able to do that. It's almost as if the regulations were meant to be interpreted that way?
---------- ADS -----------

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

looking to make a career out of aviation. Do not listen to some of these posters against logbooks. They are just crabby old men with fragile egos. Don't fall prey to their "back in my day" B$.
As one of those you are referring to I didn't see anyone swinging a dick. My opinion is do what you want to do. My only points were from my personal experience. I chose not to maintain a logbook after a certain point but always had access to the information if needed through the employer. When it was deemed that PPC cards were not required I have told a TC inspector to contact the company for all currency issues. I would have produced the card if he hadn't come on like such an asshole. My licenses allowed me to fly that type and currency was up to the company. Yes we would certainly advise the company if they missed training and I have witnessed pilots not keeping up, ironically it's usually medical expired and forgot. Companies have had so many issues with this that most now advise crews about medical due dates because pilots are just forgetful. This has nothing to do with a personal log but certainly cancels license privileges and makes you illegal.

I have on occasion swung my dick but always in a private social environment. :smt040

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
455tt
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 455tt »

I read the regulation as requiring that you maintain a personal logbook, but only for the purposes of acquiring a licence/rating or for currency.

So what you must log depends on your situation.

If you are PPL and you never intend on ever carrying passengers or getting any further licences or ratings, all that you need to keep in your pilot log would be an entry showing you as PIC within the past 5 years. Of course as for all pilots you would also have to do a 24 month recurrency which could be writing the TC self paced safety quiz for which you should keep a paper copy so you could prove you have done this, plus if you want, putting an entry of the 24 month recurrency into your logbook as well. Other than this I don't see any need to log anything else; you are in compliance with the regulation.

But if you are CPL moving up through various ratings and on to an ATPL, then pretty much every flight would have to be logged both for currency and for experience for the higher licences and ratings.

As an ATPL with an air operator, you would have multiple levels of currency to keep in your logbook including 90 day currency, IFR approaches etc. etc. Possibly not every flight would have to be logged, but most would.

Of course you need to also consider insurance requirements since the insurer may require your attestation to keeping to various minimum currency requirements as well, but this would fall into contract and not regulation.

The reason for the wording of the regulation is to cover these kind of different situations: one size does not fit all. If the regulation was that you must log every single flight, regardless of your unique situation, as some here are claiming, then, it seems to me, the regulation would say so.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

AuxBatOn wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:10 amJust to put what para 2 says in simple words: “if you need to maintain a logbook because you meet at least one of the criteria in paragraph 1, you need to log each flight and include at least the following in your logbook:”
Your interpretation only, nothing more.

If you fly twice a day for a week, you could log one flight a day and on the following weekend you are current for carrying passengers. The extra five flights are superfluous for maintaining currency, and superfluous if you are not actively pursuing time for a license or rating.

To put what the regs say in simple words: The regs are not in simple words. It would have been simpler to say "every flight must be logged," period. They didn't say that, because they meant something else. If we want to end this discussion in the most definitive way possible, get a ruling from Transport Canada, because they're the only ones who really care.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

AirFrame wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:02 am get a ruling from Transport Canada, because they're the only ones who really care.
On the seventh page of a thread, in which you yourself have posted eleven times. Really?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

photofly wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:39 amOn the seventh page of a thread, in which you yourself have posted eleven times. Really?
Sure, I said if they wanted a definitive answer. I'm happy to BS all week. Shall I count your posts as well, or would you like to do that? I wasn't aware we were keeping score.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I’m not the one who said “TC is the only one who cares”. I obviously care, and so do you!

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Mine is a mess. Needs more correction fluid for sure!

:partyman:

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

Reviving this for a question

ATPL holder, and trying to update my logbook and I no longer have access to records of individual flights just totals for each month. Do you think it would cause any issue to add a single line for the month and just add a comment detailing why it is like that? Trying to figure out how to log this.

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

flyingcanuck wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:03 pm Reviving this for a question

ATPL holder, and trying to update my logbook and I no longer have access to records of individual flights just totals for each month. Do you think it would cause any issue to add a single line for the month and just add a comment detailing why it is like that? Trying to figure out how to log this.
Nope, no issue there.

You already have an ATPL and at this point the only thing one really needs to keep track of is being current.

For what it’s worth, I’ve been adding an entry in my personal log once a year with a blanketed statement. Not that anyone is going to review it….

Hope that helps!

TPC

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

Thank you sir

airway
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by airway »

FADEC wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:48 am I was asked for my logbook in Heathrow when being ramp checked on a 777 by the CAA.
Fortunately, I have such a thing and the Inspector was happy with my "Recency".
The F/O was not asked; good thing, he didn't have one and we would have been grounded.
Grounded?

Is there a regulation in England that pilots have to have their personal log book or books (6 in some cases apparently) on board the aircraft? There is not one in Canada.

jamesel
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by jamesel »

Interesting. I have been ramp checked twice in Gatwick, in 2019 & 2020. Was not asked for a personal logbook either time.

airway
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by airway »

Another thing. Since we are not required to have our personal log books on board the aircraft (in Canada anyway), how can Transport require you to prove recency on a ramp check?

I could see them asking you to prove it after you get home maybe, but not on the ramp.

WANP
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by WANP »

Beyond the need to keep a log book, they are fun.
I write comments in mine, about cool people I met, something fun I saw or did on that trip, or about my passengers, weather, whatever.

Whitney
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

airway wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:56 amI could see them asking you to prove it after you get home maybe, but not on the ramp.
That's what they do. You have some time period (24 hours or a week or something) to supply a copy.

Return to “General Comments”