AC pledging to improve customer service, then pull our leg

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

vortac
Rank 3
Rank 3

AC pledging to improve customer service, then pull our leg

Post by vortac »

Air Canada pledging to improve customer service, then pull our other leg

Tags: Air Canada, “cross-country pep talks”

The Globe reports this morning: Air Canada is becoming increasingly worried about the ascent of WestJet Airlines Ltd., assigning chief operating officer Bill Bredt to deliver cross-country pep talks urging staff to improve customer service amid competitive threats and the recession.

Wow, bad enough the guy actually has to speak in front of Air Canada employees – he also has to travel across the country on their planes. Bill Bredt, my nickname for you is Short Straw, for that is what you have drawn.

Air Canada’s customer service is legendary – among humorists, satirists and masochists. It’s the easiest joke in the world and one of the most rewarding to tell, because everyone gets it.

Of course there are some nice people who do good work for Air Canada (I remember encountering one – the year was 1985). But anyone who’s ever flown on the airline is familiar with the stares of indifference, the sneers, the attitude, the brazen cash grabs (introducing our Surcharge Surcharge, a surcharge to cover the internal costs of levying our various surcharges) and the way that important flight information flows from company to customer at roughly the speed of motionlessness.

But now a series of “cross-country pep talks” is going to change all that! The employees of Air Canada are going to become friendly, helpful and entirely pleasant to deal with. The surly will become smiley. Fuel savings will be achieved because the company’s airplanes will take flight on the power of raw amiability.

Impressive. Savvy work there at the top by CEO Monte Brewer. It only took him the entire duration of his time as chief executive to determine that the company’s customer service is lacking and, hey, wait a minute!, maybe that’s why WestJet – a company that started from the closest thing to nothing – now owns 36% of the domestic market.

So now Monte is issuing “a call to arms” – though if he’s like a typical Air Canada customer, he’ll need to wait on hold for 45 minutes for his call to be answered. Monte wrote to employees recently: “The most important factor in determining our future success is customer service. This will be the battleground this year and in the years ahead.” WestJet v. Air Canada on the “battleground” of customer service: it’ll be like Tyson v. Spinks, Secretariat v. the Belmont field, Rosie O’Donnell v. that side of ribs.

By way of conclusion, I draw your attention to the concluding paragraphs of the Globe story:

Air Canada reported Friday that it lost $1-billion last year.

“It is small comfort that our loss was the result of factors outside of our control — soaring oil prices, foreign exchange losses due to a drop in the Canadian dollar, and the slowing economy,” Mr. Brewer said.

I love this. How convenient for Monte Brewer that Air Canada’s loss was “the result of factors outside of our control.” Monte himself had nothing to do with it! The lousy customer service – which Monte himself just acknowledged – had nothing to do with it! Poor Air Canada was buffeted solely by mean, nasty forces beyond its control. The buck stops… somewhere over there.

Question: if Air Canada were ever to earn $1-billion (I know – hilarious, but stick with it), do you think Monte would say it was due to “low oil prices, foreign exchange gains and a strong economy?” No, I expect Monte would say it was due to Monte.

http://blog.macleans.ca/2009/02/18/air- ... other-leg/

LOL....If you don't find this article comical/accurate. .. then you're probably in denial.
---------- ADS -----------

tdawe
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: AC pledging to improve customer service, then pull our leg

Post by tdawe »

"Terribly sorry about bending you over, slashing your pay and turning your pension into a vague memory, but could you please smile more? We're losing customers."

godsrcrazy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by godsrcrazy »

I seem to remember and article about this last fall in the Globe. The CEO of Air Canada was asking the flight attendants to increase the level of service. He did refer to the butt kicking they were getting from West Jet’s service as a reason for losing customers.

I wonder what the wage comparison is if you work for Air Canada compared to West Jet. I am betting West jet is a whole lot less.

I had the unfortunate pleasure of riding on Air Canada 2 weeks ago from Toronto to Vancouver. 5.5 hours of next to no service. They came up the isles twice with the commissary cart and on the hour offering water.
What really made my jaw drop was when the passenger across the Isle asked the (Flight Attendant) for another drink. He did ask why the service was so LIMITED not poor. He was informed that she was on the aircraft for his Safety. Getting a drink served was a comfort not a necessity. Unbelievable I thought to my self. So no being one to shut my mouth I mentioned the conversation to the lead flight attendant. I got the same reading.

I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. Hell we are all ready paying $6.00 for a pop that the rest of the aircraft gets for free and a 1 ounce bottle of booze that doesn’t cost the airline $2.00. One would think they would be pouring a shot into you on the hour just to keep you under the legal limit. Not Air Canada lets all sit in the back and bitch about how bad we get treated and make sure everyone else the same way.

You know the old saying it only takes 1 to ruin what it takes 20 to fix. Well in Air Canada’s world there is only a hand full of fixers and a whole bunch of others that are just miserable and really should look at a different carrier choice.
PLEAD with these people all you want they will not change. The only thing that will change them is fire about 70% of them because that’s how many really do not like the job they get paid to do.

The real unfortunate part of this story is Air Canada does have some incredibly pleasant and professional people young and old. I just wish it were 70 % in their favor.

When I have a choice I do try and fly West Jet every chance I get

rum-runner
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rum-runner »

Flight Attendant - Service Counts

A guy sitting at a bar at Heathrow Airport noticed
a really beautiful woman sitting next to him.
He thought to himself: "Wow, she's so gorgeous she
must be an off duty flight attendant.

But which airline does she work for?"
Hoping to make her acquaintance, he leaned
towards her and uttered the Delta slogan:
"Love to fly and it shows?"
She gave him a blank, confused stare and he
immediately thought to himself:
Damn, she doesn't work for Delta."

A moment later, another slogan popped into his
head.He leaned towards her again
"Something special in the Air?"

She gave him the same confused look.
He mentally kicked himself, and scratched
Singapore Airlines off the list.

Next he tried the Thai Airways slogan:
"Smooth as Silk."
This time the woman turned on him,
"What the f*ck do you want?"
The man smiled, then slumped back in his chair,
and said, "Ahhhhh, Air Canada. "

yfly
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by yfly »

Funnily enough, I have never had poor service on any Air Canada flight. In my opinion, their International flights have the best service of any North American airline. In fact, I know several Americans that will connect through Toronto just to fly Air Canada.

Yes, it is a far cry from "the good old days", but it isn't horrible. So they have senior crews. That only means they have been around a while. I will take competency and courtesy over cute any day of the week.

Conquest Driver
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Conquest Driver »

I have to admit. Air Canada may not be perfect but they blow the doors off the U.S. carriers.

swordfish
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by swordfish »

vortac definitely had it right:
If you don't find this article comical/accurate. .. then you're probably in denial.
I wonder if people who laud AC's service on international flights have actually flown on many other international airlines. Try comparing AC's service and style with that of Air France, ANA, Thai International, Emirates...I'm afraid the list is endless...

Besides, most of us would like to see a dramatic improvement on DOMESTIC flights, where it is most visible - and needed.

Black Cat
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Black Cat »

I have seen some embarrassing behaviour from AC. I have stood in uniform at a gate and been ignored by an agent just like anyone else. It makes me cringe but dont for a minute that westjetters are immune from this. I fly 5 times a month on WJ and their flight attendants are not only getting older, but crankier too. In most cases they wash out after 5 years but the ones who have an expired departure date from the company are easy to spot with that fake cheek to cheek smile and a downsyndromish "westjetty" attitude can be seen through and its painful to watch.

While westjet does do a very good job at hiring "happy" people, I think anyone exposed to the public for that long will be damaged eventually. I have also seen WJFA's do a service then sit in the crew seats for an hour also. How many times do expect these people to walk up and down the isle anyways!

I wont mention everything I have seen but the last time I flew WJ the flight attendant screamed when a customer unbuckled his seat belt while we WAITED for a gate. I jumped when the fa growled from her jump seat "SiiiiiiT DOWWWWWWWN!!!" in a condescending voice that I haven't heard since kindergarten. She then shook her head for a good 30 seconds afterwords while chatting about this moron with her coworker. I have seen unacceptable behavior on many airlines, but I put myself in their shoes and than God I have a bomb proof door to protect me from the public, and sometimes from the flight attendant.

My point is working with the public sucks. Working with the public that looses 3/4's of their I.Q. when they enter an airport environment really sucks. Its no excuse for this behavior but I think Westjet has it right. Hire young, enthusiastic f/a ticket agents etc. Tell them they are owners so they care, and they will until they grow up (literally) and figure out that other than the pilots and maintenance they are expendable and have a lifespan. The new generation of westjetters have just entered grade 8, your days are numbered...and thats not a bad thing for the public (unless ther is an actual emergency)

The shift from career to job has come. Westjet has coined a new workforce...its called temporary bliss aka westjetty. Hire young, enthusiastic f/a ticket agents who still have hope and dreams of a career in aviation and a livable wage via ownership. Poor dears.

This is what they should tell flight attendants being hired at any airline right now; Come and work for us for 5 years, make a little bit of money, screw a few pilots, and maybe you might get lucky and marry one, or if your not that skilled, at least get knocked up by one...cha ching! Then you WILL leave and find a real career before you turn into a candidate for montie brewers new reality show, flight attendant rehab.

Remember, you ARE a critical part of the safety, but the public will never see you that way (unless you crash) so stop looking for respect and you wont be disappointed when people treat you like a waitress. You ARE worth the 35 bucks an hour air canada pays...just not anymore! Introducing B scale! The exciting new wage catigory that allows everyone to compete witht the "owners" .

Now, welcome aboard and remember to smile!

P.S. same goes for ticket agents and ground crews. Welcome to the walmarting out of aviation people!

PJ1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by PJ1 »

Holy shit I thought I was crude, telling it like it is.

Team Firecracker
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Team Firecracker »

FA's just need 1 of those crystals in their hand like in Logans'Run. After they turn 30 the crystal blinks and they get "renewed"!

PS....there is NO sanctuary.....

yfly
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by yfly »

swordfish wrote:vortac definitely had it right:
If you don't find this article comical/accurate. .. then you're probably in denial.
I wonder if people who laud AC's service on international flights have actually flown on many other international airlines. Try comparing AC's service and style with that of Air France, ANA, Thai International, Emirates...I'm afraid the list is endless...

Besides, most of us would like to see a dramatic improvement on DOMESTIC flights, where it is most visible - and needed.
Yes, this is why I specified "North American Airline" in my post.

yfly
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by yfly »

Black Cat wrote:I have seen some embarrassing behaviour from AC. I have stood in uniform at a gate and been ignored by an agent just like anyone else.
Sorry Black Cat. You lost me in your opening line.. By "anyone else" do you mean the passengers that you are there to provide a service for and in turn pay your salary? Perhaps the gate agent had the priority right in giving those passengers at least as of good service they give you while in uniform.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

vortac wrote:

Question: if Air Canada were ever to earn $1-billion (I know – hilarious, but stick with it), do you think Monte would say it was due to “low oil prices, foreign exchange gains and a strong economy?” No, I expect Monte would say it was due to Monte.

http://blog.macleans.ca/2009/02/18/air- ... other-leg/
This would be an excellent time for me to indulge in my ongoing cross-forum rant about overpaid, functionless unchallenged, unskilled, self-loathing, self-aggrandizing, self-congratulatory, three-drink lunch-taking, bonus-paid parasitic upstairs office fuckers sucking the life out of work being performed by intelligent and honest people everywhere and using it to decorate their offices and buy lingerie for their office assistant-paramours, but instead, I think I'll tell you all about the flight attendant my wife saw yesterday while travelling on Air Canada,

After giving the spiel about the six dollar sandwiches, and the 2 dollar pops and the alchoholic drinks available for a "small charge", he said (this is un-f*ckingbelieveable), he SAID: "just a reminder, folks, gratuities are NOT included in the price" :shock: and raised his eyebrows significantly at a passenger seated right in front of him!!!!

GREAT MOONS OF JUPITER, where did he find the balls? I fantasize about the passengers blocking the cockpit door, tying up the steward(ess) and helping themselves to the snack/drink cart.

The AC flight attendants and guys like Monte deserve each other!

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
HavaJava
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HavaJava »

MeatServo,

I am truly sorry to hear that an Air Canada flight attendant sank to a new low as to effectively put out a tip jar...makes me sick!!! If you would like to pass on the flight number and date to me I will gladly send an internal complaint.....however, I somehow doubt that it will accomplish anything.

Ugh...I still can't believe it

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Meatservo wrote:
vortac wrote:After giving the spiel about the six dollar sandwiches, and the 2 dollar pops and the alchoholic drinks available for a "small charge", he said (this is un-f*ckingbelieveable), he SAID: "just a reminder, folks, gratuities are NOT included in the price" :shock: and raised his eyebrows significantly at a passenger seated right in front of him!!!!

GREAT MOONS OF JUPITER, where did he find the balls? I fantasize about the passengers blocking the cockpit door, tying up the steward(ess) and helping themselves to the snack/drink cart.

The AC flight attendants and guys like Monte deserve each other!
I think if this actually happened as stated here, somebody was unable to recognize a joke. And as a joke it isn't at all unlike what the amateur stand-ups at Westjet would tell. Soliciting for tips will get you fired at any airline, not just Air Canada.

Brize
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Brize »

Black Cat..... In an articulate way I think you're hitting the nail right on the head in your post.

The salaries at WJ viewtopic.php?f=36&t=50894 end up indirectly leading to a much better experience for the customer.

I think the pilot morale is a little higher due to the fact that even 1st yr FO's know they're not making less than some FA in the back who is shi#*ing at you because it's too cold/hot in the cabin.

Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ... »

...the following is a proven age old rule to follow, that some in management don't get at all levels of aviation.

Treat those people in your employ with respect that have direct interaction with your customers, and you'll have an (almost) issue free, happy customer that will want to return to the product you're promoting and selling...even if it costs a tiny bit more

But alas...I'm not sure why some people don't see it that way. Operating a "Basement" mentality is Jurassic and outdated.

Porter, WestJet and Air Transat are the only 705 companies in Canada that have adopted this avante-gard way of P.R..

Proof is in the pudding. I applaud these companies. Bravo. Bravo.

wirez
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by wirez »

I find the story about the FA soliciting tips a little difficult to believe. We are not even supposed to accept tips if offered let alone solicit. If someone was doing that they are pretty stupid to be risking their job over a dollar.

wirez
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by wirez »

I think we can all agree there are definitely some flight attendants that need to go but I find Black Cat's post highly insulting. Why is it that people in aviation feel the need to bitch about those in other occupations? Everyone does in unfortunately. Pilots bitch about rampies and FAs. FAs bitch about agents and vice versa.

I’m always the first one to defend pilots when I hear other FAs talk about how arrogant they are or how much they make. We all have more in common than you think. We both work for a company which is continually making our working conditions worse for ourselves and future generations. Air Canada is by no means alone in that regard. But who are you to say what is supposed to be a job and what is supposed to be a career? Just because one spends a lot of money on pilot training does not mean that it will not become another blue collar job one day – there are already many steps in that direction unfortunately.

But what I find most degrading is that you seem to believe that a flight attendant’s best hope for a better future is to screw a pilot or marry one. I’ll have you know that the majority of FAs I work with are far from unskilled and definitely don’t need or want to @#$! a pilot for a better life. If you said that to your cabin crew, you’d best be careful that no surprises get into your coffee.

I have no idea why anyone would even want to work for Westjet as a flight attendant. No pay for deadheading, and forced unpaid grooming of the aircraft. But at least they’re “owners” right? Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

Well WireZ, I find it even harder to believe my wife is lying to me. She was on the 10:35(L) Regina to Calgary Jazz flight on friday morning. The flight attendant was male. There you go. Sorry, requesting tips and couching it as a "reminder" is so third-world it makes my flesh crawl. I have seen seasonal float pilots do the same thing by putting little signs on the cockpit bulkhead reminding passengers to tip them, like a Caribbean Cab driver. It makes me feel ashamed.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself

Return to “General Comments”