Missionary Flying

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

TopperHarley
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Missionary Flying

Post by TopperHarley »

Hey guys,

Does anyone have any info in regards to obtaining work as a missionary pilot? Specifically, what kind of qualifications are normally required? How can I go about finding a list of companies that hire missionary pilots?

Location is not important either. I am assuming most of these jobs will be situated in parts of Africa.

Thanks in advance,

Chris.
---------- ADS -----------

‎"Never travel faster than your guardian angel can fly." - Mother Theresa
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

There were three outfits at kosh last year looking for missionary pilots. Most did not list any requirements beyond a licence and a statement of faith. The MAF was looking for 18 pilots. The Canadian MAF requires five hundred hours.

http://www.maf.org
http://www.mafc.org
http://www.alphaaviation.org
http://christianmissionpilots.org/cmp
http://www.christianpilots.org/Mission/mission.html
http://www.destiny-antioch.org/pages/345542/index.htm

You get the picture.

just another pilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by just another pilot »

Anyone else interested in a missionary position? :lol:

shitdisturber
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by shitdisturber »

Isn't there a company in Toronto that does that? :shock:

Regruntled
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Regruntled »

What is your primary motivation with respect to missionary flying, and how long do you intend to do it?

. .
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by . . »

they aren't looking for time builders C-HRIS. Not that I'd dare to imply that's what a low time guy might want to use them for, but i figure i'd get it out of the way

Phlyer
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Phlyer »

This has been covered before, but you need to know you're a missionary first, and a pilot second.
That, and you generally need a year of bible school and have to go to different churches and raise your own funds.
FF

clearmyside
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by clearmyside »

I looked into missionary flying before and ended up not doing it, because of the bible study requirement etc., etc.
that just makes me think if they really are looking for pilots or priests?! is it not enough that someone would like to volunteer their time and help out that way or are you supposed to be able preach to starving people first before you hand out bread and water :x !/!

D5GRVTY
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by D5GRVTY »

What about Air Serv International? They don't seem to be affiliated with any major religion. Has anybody flown with them or heard anything about them?

I'd also like to volunteer my flying time for a good cause, but I'm not really into the idea of handing someone a bible before food. Isn’t that kind of blackmail?

Regruntled
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Regruntled »

Missionary flying is something that requires an ENORMOUS commitment on many levels, be it emotional, physical, financial, whatever.

Depending on the location, it can cost between $10k-$20k per month to keep an MAF pilot and his family going overseas. This is quite the financial responsibility on the people who are supporting you and certainly not something to be taken lightly. Before you even go, it can take years to get ready for this kind of work. You have to learn the language, not only the dominant language of the country you're going to but also languages you haven't even heard of in order to communicate with the people you're serving. Don't forget you also need an AME licence as well. If you break down in some jungle village in the middle of Africa, there aren't a whole lot of mechanics waiting to bail you out; you have to make all the repairs yourself.

Yes, most mission organizations do like you to have a year of bible school but that's not an absolute requirement if you can demonstrate an equivalent level of knowledge. I may be at risk of getting flamed for what I'm about to write next, but hopefully people will at least understand where they're coming from, if not necessarily agree. Please know that I am not trying to preach to anyone here, only trying to offer a bit of understanding.

MAF and outfits like it serve some of the poorest, most desperate people in the world, and the suffering there is unlike anything those of us (myself included) who have never been there can even imagine. Having said that, the suffering people face here on earth is temporary; after death that suffering becomes permanent for those who reject God. That is the type of suffering missionaries go abroad to address. Hearing that, you might think of some guy going to some starving tribe in the jungle saying "Never mind the food and medicine, here's a bible. Read this first, then you get fed." This is not the case. They go down there bringing loads of food, clothing, medicine, whatever's needed. When they're not flying they're teaching people to read, helping to build shelters, caring for the sick, again whatever's needed. They also share the Christian faith while they're at it. Not as a precondition to getting the aid they desperately need, just a bonus. Whether they choose to accept or reject it has no bearing on the rest of the operation.

People who do this type of thing usually go for between 10 and 20 years, in most cases not less than 5. It's not a time builder, nor is it something to be taken lightly, but the people I know who have done it wouldn't trade their life for anything, and they're the happiest people I know. Probably a combination of knowing how awesome we have it here in Canada, and the knowledge that they have made a tremendous impact in many peoples' lives.

I hope this helps and that I wasn't too long-winded! :D

Beacon Final
Rank 5
Rank 5

ha!

Post by Beacon Final »

Ever lose your engine at night in a light twin? With no moon light? At low altitude? Me neither, but if I do that will be the only time I ever pick a religion!

:twisted:

MurtsAir
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MurtsAir »

SAVE ME JEEBAS (simpsons) I can just imaging driving a old DC-3 around some jungle with a bunch of bibles on board to give to the little starving fuzzy wazzis that cant read anyway sign me up

clearmyside
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by clearmyside »

regruntled is right. i did not see the poorest of the poor, but i did spend some time in africa and there's things beyond our imagination (and i might say i was thinking in three weeks i am home again).
as for the benefit of teaching as you're helping that is very debatable especially when there's "non-believers" out there, who would and do dedicate some or all their life to such a cause.

ndb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ndb »

Regruntled wrote:
after death that suffering becomes permanent for those who reject God
uh oh ... I've been told that Transport is next to God as far as I am concerned, and I know Transport would love to kill me, so if I reject Transport, will the suffering become permanent?

TopperHarley
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TopperHarley »

Thanks for all the responses.

As far as my motives are concerned, I realize that this type of work is NOT for time builders. Although I am a lowtime pilot (230tt, working on my instructor rating now), this is something that I am interested in doing.

I understand that I would not likely get paid for this (or at least, the pay would be low, while room and board would be covered... at least that's how it works for other missionary jobs), which is why I would want to do this type of work at the beginning of my career than later on. I would love the opportunity to go down to Africa for a couple years, and help out the needy.

I assure you that my motives are not to build time on this. I am a religious man (at least I consider myself one :) ) and this is one way that I want to help out. I am a strong believer that people from the first world ought to help out those from the third world in any way we can, whether that's through donations or missionary work. I don't have much to give in the material sense, so I would like to help out with my services.

Unfortunately, I have not taken any Bible studies courses either, so this may be a drawback. I am Catholic thoguh, whether that matters or not, I do not know (I don't think it should though... a strong desire to help others is all that should be listed on the requirements side of things, IMO)

Thanks again for all the responses. If there are other opportunities in parts of Africa or anywhere else, I'd love to hear about them.

Chris.

‎"Never travel faster than your guardian angel can fly." - Mother Theresa
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

ndb :

The answer is yes.

I rejected them and have been banned into everlasting suffereing...

At least there are a few pricks in TC who are doing their best.......

Which ain't good enough.... because hopefully the worm will turn.

Cat Driver:

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
just another pilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by just another pilot »

Omnipotence and TC are synonomous. :wink:

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Next time you are chatting with some of them see if you can get them to expound on their background........some of them wouldn't qualify for mowing the lawn...... :roll:

Cat

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
D5GRVTY
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by D5GRVTY »

Regruntled: While what the missionary organizations do is commendable don't you think there should be a place for those pilots who just want to help those in need?

Anytime I've talked to any outfits such as MAF I have a conversation that goes like this.

Me: Hi I'd really like to help people who need it by doing the one thing I know how do well; flying

Them: Well what are your religious beliefs, how many years of bible college have you attended, what could you do to carry on the good word etc.

Me: I just believe in helping those in need with what I'm good at......

Them: Thanks bye!

Let's not get into any religious (or transport :lol: ) arguments, I just want to know if there is any organizations that help those in need without any religious motivations.

Is Airserv a non-religious flying relief organization?

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Doctors without borders.

They are non religious and do great work.

Cat.

Return to “General Comments”